V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in the past I am sold on the ride of the Road King. I plan on buying within the next 2 or 3 months. I have been looking at wide tire kits for a few days and I have some questions regarding expectations.

Does the wide tire kit significantly change the ride, or handling of the RK? I assume it will have some impact, I'd just like to know to what degree.

Has anyone here done it and wish they hadn't?

If you did it yourself, how hard was it? I know my wrenching limits, and I'd love to do it myself. Just want to know if this is realistic without specialized abilities and/or tools.

I have looked at FBI, CAS4, and DM Customs. Is there anyone else I should be looking at?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've done some extensive checking on the FBI and Custom Valley kits. IMO, they are just too much money for what you get. You can put a 150 on back of a RK for next to nothing.

Plan on spending at least $5k and that is if you turn your own wrenches. None of it is difficult but you will have to pull the gears out of the tranny and replace the output shaft. I've rebuilt many manual transmissions so I wouldn't have any issues.

I think you'll find a ton of other stuff to buy "while you're in there" like:

Chrome inner primary
New rear shocks
Custom Paint for the bike (or just paint the rear fender)
New front wheel/tire to match the new rear

I heard that FBI was doing kits in their trailer at Bike Week for $5800. I'd be a little hesitant to "test drive" the new installation all the way home. :)

Good luck

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
I also was wanting a 200 tire for my 2000 FLHTC, but I opted to put a 180mm tire in without any trans mods. I did have to add the narrow belt/pulley. I bought an Ebay new 16x5" wheel and had my guy adjust the spacing. Haven't run the bike yet, I'm still getting the fender/wiring installed. I would not have tried it if it weren't for the mechanic/welder/machinist/painter friend I have. Total cost was $2200 and I got $1000 back from parts sold on ebay. This includes painting the rear fiberglass fender I bought from FBI. Will have it together soon. Good luck!
Jerry

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys for the input.

thatoldbike said:
I think you'll find a ton of other stuff to buy "while you're in there" like:

Chrome inner primary
New rear shocks
Custom Paint for the bike (or just paint the rear fender)
New front wheel/tire to match the new rear

I heard that FBI was doing kits in their trailer at Bike Week for $5800. I'd be a little hesitant to "test drive" the new installation all the way home. :)

Good luck
I'm sure you're right about the "while you're in there" stuff. Actually the shocks are a given. I think I'm keeping the whole thing vivd black, at this point, unless I can find a way to replicate the black paint on the Yamaha YZF-R1. But that's another thread.

I didn't see FBI at Bike Week. That's a shame. I would have liked to seen the work in person.

Jerry, good luck on yours and I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing what you think of the handling differences. Please keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts