V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my 2003 Ultra Classic comes in, I am going to have the dealer put Road King white wall tires on it:cool: In the dealers book, he had two tires offerd, one with the word (Harley Davidson) letters raised up on the side wall, the other one was just a normal white wall tire.Is there a differance in the two tires?:confused: Has any one bought these tires, I just think they will look good over the small white line tire that comes on the Ultra;)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
No difference except for the writing and $'s.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have the ones w/o the raised lettering, but have seen them as well. I like both. They are a little trouble keeping clean, but not bad if you stay with it. I think they will look super on an Ultra.

ps, is this a subiminal message from your earlier plan to get a king (LOL)?

·
: Þ
341 Posts
I have the wide w/w's on my road king, love the look. IMHO I don't think the one with the lettering and the bar and shield is worth the extra $$. when parked, you cant see it half the time anyway, the letters are hidden by the size of the fender. It has to be lined up perfect to see it.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
gbenner:D :D On the Road King thing. Back in July, we rented a Road King, we thought (wow, we will order one) so we did:) Then about 2 months later, we rented a Ultra Classis 2001. We loved it even more than the Road King, so we changed the order:cool: I and "we" think it was the better choice for us:)
I should start a new thread about this but I don't want to glote:D Just got a letter from my dealer yesterday saying that our Ultra Classis is going to be shipped from the factory on 1-31-03:eek: :p ;) :) :D I will not dare say what I did after reading the letter, but you can imagine:eek:

Thanks for the replys on the white wall tires, I guess I will go with just the white walls and no raised lettering, again, thanks:)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Mark which rims do you have?

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JimmyK, the stock wheels, I did not want to go with the spoke wheels becouse you need tubes with them. If I could of got the gold wheels, I would of, but not with Gunmetal they said:(

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well there is no difference between the raised letter and the standard WWW really except the money. It is a waste because the only time you see the letters is when yer bent over scrubbing the tires.

If you go WWW, make sure you have a good jack for the bike. You will need it for cleaning the tires.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
"If you go WWW, make sure you have a good jack for the bike. You will need it for cleaning the tires."

Center stand works well too. However, JimmyK is right, they are add'l work.

Mark, hope you get some good weather when your Ultra gets there!!!! Otherwise you will need to rent a trailer to tow it somewhere nice (LOL)

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will have a center stand on the bike:) Yes, I am going to buy a ATV-motorcycle jack from Sears# 50190, O $hit, it is made in China:eek: In February, Illinois does get some nice weather;) I checked out the long range forcast about the time my bike should be here and it said 70s and no snow;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Both of the HD offered tires are Dunlops and are'nt worth the rubber there made of . Avon and Metezler have a superior tire that are white wall and will give you better handeling and mileage. The Dealer only sells what HD endorses, and sometime thats not always to our advantage. Shop around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
popo is right on the mark with his comment. "factory approved" translated to real english means "bought for the cheapest price and marked up till its the most expensive item of its kind"

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, heres a thought :confused: I could just leave the tires that come on the bike, so that way the dealer will not even have to mess with taking my wheels off. Then, when I need new ones in about 10,000 miles or so, I could then go with the Metezler 880s :) What it all boils down to is, are the wide white walls worth $100 :confused: I think pritty soon, I will talk myself out of them :eek:

·
Registered
351 Posts
popo said:
Both of the HD offered tires are Dunlops and are'nt worth the rubber there made of . Avon and Metezler have a superior tire that are white wall and will give you better handeling and mileage. The Dealer only sells what HD endorses, and sometime thats not always to our advantage. Shop around.

Have to agree with the handling properties of the Metezler tire over the Dunlop... but my Metezler ww tires really did "yellow" up quickly and never came back to white!... The ww seemed to be thinner also then on the Dunlop. for looks along, I dumped the Met's Yellows..

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't have first hand experience with the new Conti WWW, but I have read excellent reviews. Evidently it is made of a type of silicone rather than carbon black and is stickier on the road while offering the same or more mileage. Does anybody ride with these yet? If so, what's your take?

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Popo, used to not be a Dunlop man either, but I get 13k or so out of the rear on my Road King. I have 32k on my original front tire. My dealer sells any Dunlop, including WWW engraved HD tires for 99 bucks. I can't go wrong with them. As far as the handling B.S. I ride an Electra Glide at work with Dunlops on it. That bike gets pushed harder every day than most bikes do once a month. I have had no handling problems with it. I ride it in the rain faster than most guys do on a dry road. Ain't wrecked it yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts