V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all,

I'm going to be renting a Road King for a week long trip. We'll be riding from Denver to Montana and back. What I want to know is if the stock seat on one of these bad boys is comfortable enough for a week long trip or should I plan on taking some extra padding with me?

Any other advice about the Road King would be appreciated as well.

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I have found the stock seat on the RoadKings impossible to ride with, not sure what the problem is because the stock seats on the FLHT's I can live with and the one on the FLTR's is actually pretty good.

Also hate the stock height windshield. Not an issue if you own the bike. If they have a factory alarm system make sure they have a manual code programmed into it, so as to disarm without the remote if necessary. DO NOT trust the fuel gauges, plan fuel stops by trip mileage.

Other then that they are very enjoyable bikes to ride.

·
Registered
354 Posts
jcolman,
I bought a 1998 Electra Glide Classic with stock seat last May, and took a 3800 mile trip (about 2 weeks) on it (with stock seat) in August-September, from Florida to Wisconsin and back.

The last couple days of the trip were pure torture! My rear end was screamin' to get off (as well as my wife's)! We couldn't even stand 100 miles without taking a break. The seat would compress to the point where I felt as if I was sitting on the frame. I don't know if the new Road King seat is any better, but I'd listen to what HIPPO says.

I wound up buying a Mustang seat to replace the stocker, but before that I was considering a cushion. If you rent frequently for long trips, it might be worth your while to look into these:

http://www.rohoinc.com/recreational/index.asp
http://www.buttbuffer.com/buttbuffer.html

I've been told that the Air Hawk works the best. I think Honda dealers carry them.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

- OldBoy

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
The stock RK seats are very uncomfortable. The passenger seat is very narrow, which makes for an uncomfortable ride. (unless they weigh 100 pounds or less)

The riders seat is not bad for the first 50 or so miles. Then it seems as if all of the cushioning just disappears, because the bones in your butt cheeks will start to feel sore and numb. :(

Would highly recommend bringing some extra padding. I used a small pillow on a few long runs before I broke down and bought the Corbin.

And for your passenger, be sure to get a two-up backrest or she will definately be uncomfortable. She can safely "switch cheeks" this way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the information. I was afraid that the stock seat would
become uncomfortable after a day or two. The Air Hawk looks like just the
thing I need and I can always use it on my bike when I get home. I'll be riding single
so I don't have to worry about anyone else's butt but my own.

I'm really looking forward to the trip. Just me and three of my old high school
buddies cruising the backroads of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Gonna be fun!!!

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
111 Posts
dprice said:
The stock RK seats are very uncomfortable. The passenger seat is very narrow, which makes for an uncomfortable ride. (unless they weigh 100 pounds or less)

The riders seat is not bad for the first 50 or so miles. Then it seems as if all of the cushioning just disappears, because the bones in your butt cheeks will start to feel sore and numb. :(

Would highly recommend bringing some extra padding. I used a small pillow on a few long runs before I broke down and bought the Corbin.

And for your passenger, be sure to get a two-up backrest or she will definately be uncomfortable. She can safely "switch cheeks" this way.
How do you like the Corbin Seat? I'm trying to finalize my decision between the Corbin and the Mustang. I'm leaning towards the Corbin, but the more information the better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts