V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The ol lady has a 2006 RK that needs a little more sound. I had a look at a set at the dealer and it looks as though they flow straight through except for 2 approx 1 1/4 plugs the mechanic said they could be removed but he said they spit which means what? I think with a hole saw and an extension I could drill them out. I gutted a set a couple of years ago on a differant bike and they turned out awsome and I bored out the plugs on the non stock pipes on my 05 springer classic. Anybody have any experience with doing this on a RK and the resulting sound?

Kevin

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
cowboy_bc said:
Hi all,

The ol lady has a 2006 RK that needs a little more sound. I had a look at a set at the dealer and it looks as though they flow straight through except for 2 approx 1 1/4 plugs the mechanic said they could be removed but he said they spit which means what? I think with a hole saw and an extension I could drill them out. I gutted a set a couple of years ago on a differant bike and they turned out awsome and I bored out the plugs on the non stock pipes on my 05 springer classic. Anybody have any experience with doing this on a RK and the resulting sound?

Kevin
I'm to lazy to do that. Go to Ebay and look for a guy called bobvic2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-E-...35573QQitemZ4621233399QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-E-...35573QQitemZ4621479128QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

He has other styles too so check them out.

Bill

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Don't know about the '06 HDI models, but I can tell you the '05 US Road Kings sound like warmed over dog sh!t when you drill the baffles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MegaGlide said:
Don't know about the '06 HDI models, but I can tell you the '05 US Road Kings sound like warmed over dog sh!t when you drill the baffles.
But is it an improvment over the stock pipes cuz she doesn't want insanely loud??

Kevin

·
Registered
580 Posts
I DID IT TO MY 02 RKC AND IT SOUDED,I WILL TRADE YOU MINE FOR YOURS,I SENT A SET TO FULLSAC AND HAD THEM COMPLETLY RECORED,SORRY about the caps,I didnt see it untill then,and pay shipping?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Wow, warmed over dog sh!t, I always wondered what that sounded like! :hystria:

I didn't drill the baffles, but I punched out the disk with a 1" pipe on my 03 Lowrider (couldn't decided on a set to upgrade to, and wanted the bike louder). It actually made quite a difference, sounded good! Of course, I swapped out for a HK Xcelerator 2-1 pipe 3 months later, but it was a good temporary fix.

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
MegaGlide said:
That is a very acurate description of drilled stockers. Hey Cowboy! Your wife is special enough you got her a new 06. You better lay the right pipes on her. Give her a couple of Fullsac's. She'll ride all day and love you forever!
RB

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
FX pipes and bagger pipes are night and day different, but do whatever you want. You asked, I told you. It's your information now to use as you see fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Punched out stock mufflers

I actually did punch/drill the stock mufflers on my '05 RK. Did it like this:

1) Remove mufflers, use end of a tire iron to split front and rear plugs. Then used some 1" steel rod to expand the front plug hole wide open.

2) Used 3/8" drill bit mounted in drill bit extension, to drill 3 holes in back plug.

3) Used same bit/extension to drill 5 holes in the bulkhead inside front of muffler (around tube that holds the plug)

4) Drilled 4 holes thru the exit cone at back of muffler, at top so holes don't show and water doesn't enter.

Sound is mellow, not chirpy and cheap. Nice low rumble at cruise, and decent bark when you hammer it. Just not real loud.

Most important part - it lets the motor breathe. Combine this with a SE air filter and rejetting is definitely necessary.

I used a Sportster fuel needle (I think it was N4NN), drilled stock 190 main jet out with 5/64" bit (roughly makes it a 197), and replaced stock 45 pilot jet with 48.

Good power, much better throttle response, 41 mpg with two-up.

It works for me.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Doesnt the 06 have catalytic converters built in and doesnt that make punching them difficult.I have a set of mufflers with cats and I think u would have to remove the baffle to get the cat out.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
MegaGlide said:
FX pipes and bagger pipes are night and day different, but do whatever you want. You asked, I told you. It's your information now to use as you see fit.
Very good point. Hell, it changes between even the Dyna's too (others on here and other forums have drilled out their Dyna's and didn't like the sound.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for your advice. I actually had one in my hand and what I saw was a front and a back plug which are to force the exhaust through the glass pack. I figure that I will cut them out with a hole saw and leave it at that and if it doesn't do the trick I'll talk her into takeing the pipes of my springer and I'll get some bad ass ones for myself, hee hee.

Thanks Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
the CAT is only in one pipe, (only stamped on one of my pipes) assume that one should be gas side, since most fumes come out that side.

they have a lump, so will only fit one way.

SWDONAHUE said:
,I WILL TRADE YOU MINE FOR YOURS and pay shipping?
i have a spare set of Non Cat mufflers if you want to trade.
do you not like the sound of the full sacs?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I don't know how much more sound you want but resell your originals(or save 'em for when the feds eventually get touchy on our LOUD PIPES). Try a set of Wild Pigs. They're like $165 to your door with a shirt. Very deep sounding and cheap... If you sell your take-offs, you'll probably be looking at about $100 total. Just a thought.

BTW, I'm happy with the Pigs and most of the frequency is gone anyway. That's not with just the pipes. The OL too. Bummer!

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
do a search of completed auctions,
some stockers were on e-bay, 4 for $18.95 was the winning bid.
i asked $50 for mine on this forum, got laughed at.
not worth the effort. stuck them in the attic

1 - 20 of 21 Posts