V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 02 Road King Classic about 2 months ago, I love the bike, it's my first Harley. But, I purchased the quick release sissy bar and have a stock RK seat, the problem is the sissy bar sits really vertical or straight up, no angle at all. The sissy bar covers about a third of the back seat, I have talked to the local HD dealer and they say that's the way the sissy bar mounts. I bought the RK because of the smooth ride but when my girlfriend rides with me I noticed that she sits so straight up that is is not comfortable for her. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get the sissy bar at an angle? I like the idea of the quick release, and it wasn't cheap for the bar and the hardware. HELP! You know you have to have a great looking girl on the back of your bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man..I hope thats not the case..I just picked up the detachable kit with all the hardware, docking, pad, etc...and it was big $$$ !..I didnt even think about trying it out before I bought..was it really that bad?..my wife really wanted the sissy so I bought it thinking I could remove it when I wanted...let me know how u make out with it..

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I've one on too, (non detachable) Same position.
Bolt Upright!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
hogwild said:
Anybody have any suggestions on how to get the sissy bar at an angle?
Yep. Get a fat chick, a BIG UN

Tote her ass around for a couple hundred miles, I guarantee she'll ben the **** out of it:D

wyo

PS- you asked

·
Registered
29 Posts
Finally got the docking kit on..decided to do it myself. Thats when I found out that when you remove certain bolts, everything shifts. So now , the holes that use to line up, dont line up anymore. All i can say about the installation is have a friend handy to help force the parts back together. as for the position of the backrest..my wife loves it...she weighs about 105 pounds, so maybe its easier on the smaller passengers. but Im happy with it...just thought it was a bit pricey..just my 2 cents..ride on..

·
Registered
240 Posts
No making them happy I guess.............

My wife complains that the sissy bay on the Wide Glide leans back TOO far!

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
LowFlyer said:
No making them happy I guess.............
My wife complains that the sissy bay on the Wide Glide leans back TOO far!
And I've got the Custom Chrome sissy bar and side rails on my 2001 RK and it has just enough lean, according to my wife.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Everybody,

After dealing with the dealership that is 55 miles up the road and dropping my bike off to have the service work done and get the sissy bar checked out. I got more acomplished than they did in 4 days. I picked up the bike and they said thats the way the bar mounts, docking kit was fine and they tried to bend the bar. NO dice, so last week at the beach I checked out my friends bike, a 2000 RKC with a quick release sissy bar. The HD dealer sold me the wrong bar for a 2002 RKC, I had a bar for the old models. I guess everybody always says that your bike you will know inside and out, because nobody at the dealership could get it right. So, the sissy bar has been exchanged and new low profile sandlebag guards have been installed. So far everything is OK. Thanks for the input.:D

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey Hogwild. Got any pictures. (I've got a 2002 RoadKing) I want to get a touring seat or stay with the stock seat and sissy bar for my girl. Have to wait until April 2003 to see how the stock seat rides. I want my girl to be comfortable when we ride. I also want a single seat. Been looking at Corbin's Hollywood single seat. Thanks in advance. I want to keep cost down to a minimum.(Yeah, I know I'm a cheap ba$tard!) J.T.

P.S. How much does the sissy bar cost with all the fixin's?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick Release backrest

Hogwild: What's the correct part number? I also have a 2002 RKC and am in the market for one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts