V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a road king FLHR 2005.
Is there a better set of rear shocks for it. My wife and I ride double.
425lb total weight. I'm looking for a softer ride without slop in the turns?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Progressive shocks get discussed alot, model 418 or 440's. I replaced my 12" air shocks with 12.5" Heavy Duty 440's and couldn't be happier. The ride improved 200 percent. Do a search in the suspension section of this forum for past threads/discussions.

regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re 440s

I don't want to change the height of my bike. Are these the same
length as what I have now. A stock FLHR ROAD KING 2005.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
the 440s come in a variety of sizes. from 11.5" to 13.5", I believe. pretty sure 13" is stock for a road king standard and classic, 12" for a custom.

might want to wait for someone else to confirm my numbers before you go buying anything.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
progressive makes an air system, but the 440s are not air shocks. they have a couple different spring rates and easily adjustable preload. check the website: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/440.html for more details.

everyone on this site that has changed from the stock air shocks to these shocks has raved about how much better the ride quality is.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I’ve been running the 440’s for about four years and 50k miles now on my ’99 RK, mostly two-up riding. These shocks are supremely better than stock, you won’t miss air adjustability. With gear and passenger I’m probably close to 430lbs, after the first two years of use the springs on my 440’s took a ‘set’ to where I ran out of adjustment. I squawked the problem with Progressive and they offered to repair them free of charge. I was asked if any additional weight was being carried on the bike that might have lead to the premature ‘set’ condition, we joked about me and the wife puttin’ on a few and he asked if I’d be interested in a heavy duty spring upgrade. I took the upgrade offer and when the repaired shocks went back on, I had no problem finding a comfortable setting. Two years later, still no degradation in spring adjustment.
If you go with the 440’s you might see if you can get them with the heavy duty springs right from the get-go.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
mlewis said:
If you go with the 440’s you might see if you can get them with the heavy duty springs right from the get-go.
Great info!! However, are you insinuating that either my wife or I will be getting.... well, hefty???

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
...maybe we need to start a thread about weight loss.

I KNOW I COULD lose about 50 pounds. I would save money on the future engine mods too. Hell, 50 less pounds is good for an additional 10 horses. :D

Plus, the stock suspension set-up could stay "as is", saving some more money.

...of course good luck telling me to lose weight when Christmas feasts are right around the corner...

·
Registered
413 Posts
8-Ball said:
Great info!! However, are you insinuating that either my wife or I will be getting.... well, hefty???
I had KEGC’s post of “425lbs” in mind when I threw that out there, but we are in that time of year, aren’t we? Cheers!:D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I put the 440 IAS progressive shocks on my RK as well. 12.5" (1/2 in shorter.

I have found them VERY stiff particularly on less than perfect roads (like the California freeways). Minor pot holes really slam the bike. I even took them back to the Prorgressive factory and had them checked. Nice people btw.

I also changed to them in hoped of getting a softer ride.

Last week I put the factory air shocks back on. They are definitey less precise, kinda like an old Cadillac compared to a pickup truck (air shocks are the Caddy, 440's the pickup). Neither are what I really want, but the iar shocks will work better for me since my wife has a neck injury and we must have a softer ride.

If anyone wants some 440s, PM me, be happy to sell them pretty reasonably.

There is another company which makes rear shocks as well, they are called "Cadillacs" I think. I plan to investigate, but may just adjust to what I have.

greg

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
I have the Legend Air Ride System
The setup has its own air compressor on board so when the wife wants to go for a ride all you do is hit the switch a walla additional air. I will attach a pic of the shock and Legends Web site.

http://www.legend-airride.com/flash.html

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
06CUSE, That is a nice system! I have to ask, where do you hide the compresser and how is the ride? Zen

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
zenwee said:
06CUSE, That is a nice system! I have to ask, where do you hide the compresser and how is the ride? Zen
The compressor is hidden in ride side panel the compressor isn't very big but that little compressor really pumps out the air. I slam the bike (take all air out of shocks) to get on and off the bike. Once I get on the bike it takes maybe 5 seconds to bring the air bags up to a good riding height. The system came with its own air gauge but I really didn't like the look so my scooter doesn't have a air gauge as I go with feel of bike.

The ride of the scooter is excellent as I put my switch to control air up on the fairing and as I ride I sometimes put more in or take some air out to make the scooter ride better going down the highway. If you ever drove a motor boat its kinds like that as you can trim the motor out to make boat ride smoother.

The system is pricey $1,800 but I don't ride two up much but it was always a hassle to take saddlebag off and pump a little more air in air shock when I gave a ride.

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
06CUSE, Low and Behold I just got the latest issue of Hot Bike with a three page write up on this system from Legend. Very Temting but the Price! Zen

·
Registered
769 Posts
06CUSE said:
The compressor is hidden in ride side panel the compressor isn't very big but that little compressor really pumps out the air. I slam the bike (take all air out of shocks) to get on and off the bike. Once I get on the bike it takes maybe 5 seconds to bring the air bags up to a good riding height. The system came with its own air gauge but I really didn't like the look so my scooter doesn't have a air gauge as I go with feel of bike.

The ride of the scooter is excellent as I put my switch to control air up on the fairing and as I ride I sometimes put more in or take some air out to make the scooter ride better going down the highway. If you ever drove a motor boat its kinds like that as you can trim the motor out to make boat ride smoother.

The system is pricey $1,800 but I don't ride two up much but it was always a hassle to take saddlebag off and pump a little more air in air shock when I gave a ride.

I dont have to take a bag off my electra glide to adj the air in the airshocks ......I do have to open up the bag lid. 1800 bucks geeesh ,,,it takes 5 minutes or less the set the shocks .......I always carry a bike towel to wipe off the seat if it rains ,,, i also use it to lay over anything in the bag to keep any shock oil from getting on my stuff .....As far as setting the air pressure ,,,, it doesnt take long to know what the solo , two up and full two up touring pressures are .....1800 bucks.. sorry thats out of my league ..... rat

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
The wife and I weigh 420lbs 270 of that is me. I have the 440s and love em. I have the heavy duty springs and have them set on 6 turns for most my riding. Much better then the old air shocks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts