V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have recently decided that I need a bike, having bought one for my wife a couple months ago. I have put a few miles on the Low Rider now and have taken both a Deluxe and a Road King for test rides. I am sold on the ride the Road King gives. I am impressed with the feel, size and responsiveness of the Road King. However, I am lessed than impressed with the look of saddlebags.

I am looking at buying a Road King and taking the bags off and doing some other things that will give the the Road King a more "sporty" look. Before the purists here give me a hard time about changing the look of a touring bike, let me reiterate that it is the feel and size of the Road King I like.

So what I am looking for is pictures of Road Kings that have had the saddle bags removed and some "finishing" done. Year is unimportant, I will however, be buying a new one. What I am looking for is a little insight. I know this has been done, but pictures have been hard to come across.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
If you like a bike with a large front tire and stripped down then I think you should just get a Softail Fatboy or Heritage and customize it. Just my -2$en#e- .

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fatb0y,

I apprecite the input. What I like about the Road King is the larger feel and look of the Road King. Not just the large front end. It's the longer wheelbase and larger feel of the Road King over any of the Soft Tails.

I'm pretty much sold on the Road King, just looking for other folks out there who may think the same way I do.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Have you searched in the touring bike section of this forum? I know there is at least one good thread on this site that addresses your issue with some good pics or at least has a link to a site with some pics. There is a company that specializes in doing the kind of thing you are asking. I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of the company. I was in your spot several years ago. I really wanted a fatboy for its look. Then I saw this RK and I got to thinking about how I would have to add a windshield and bags to a fatboy to make it feasible for the kind of riding I do. Then I went for a ride on the RK....makes the decision even easier. I would advise you of one thing. Before you spend a bunch of money turning your RK into something different, spend a little time with it and allow yourself to appreciate the bags. Yes, bags aren't the most beautiful thing to look at (at first glance). But, if you are like me, they will grow on you as you realize how handy/necessary they are. Plus, as bags go, the RK has pretty ones. The RK is an excellent choice either way, though. Good luck.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have seen one that looked good bagless. Get ready to spend money. IMO if you ride more then around the block you should have bags. Tools, warm clothes, going to store.

Unless you just go to and from neighborhood bar you need bags. Strapping stuff done works, but bags are better.

That being saifd there pics of a road king in toruing section couple months ago. Acutally looked good. Most don't.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Why remove the bags?:dunno: I understand wanting more room to stretch out that the King gives, but once you use those bags, you'll be lost if you remove them. Just my opinion and you know about opinions.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Going bagless

I've got an '01 RoadKing that is going bagless. I bought the Bub Stubbies pipes which don't need the rear hangers and exit just below the front of the bags. With the removal of 4 bolts each side, plus one in the back. I can remove or replace the bags in about 30 min. The bike is black and so are the airshocks, so I don't even need shock covers. I'll be doing the install this weekend then I have to get the EFI done. Should be ready for the road and pics next week.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DbaggedFL said:
I've got an '01 RoadKing that is going bagless. I bought the Bub Stubbies pipes which don't need the rear hangers and exit just below the front of the bags. With the removal of 4 bolts each side, plus one in the back. I can remove or replace the bags in about 30 min. The bike is black and so are the airshocks, so I don't even need shock covers. I'll be doing the install this weekend then I have to get the EFI done. Should be ready for the road and pics next week.
Excellent! I'll be waiting for pics.

Over the past couple weeks since I posted this, I have been reconsidering the bags. I am sold on the RK ride and coming to terms with the bags. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I can't find the pic, but a couple of years back, Custom Chrome ran a ad that showed a Red/White King with leather bags (aftermarket types kinda like the Heritage) I thought it looked real nice. But then, I think my RK standard with black hard bags looks awful good just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
I think the Kings look goofy without the bags. I've seen pictures without the bags and it just doesn't look right. But that's just me. If you like it, right on.:hmmm:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Bagless Road King

Here's the pictures. Hope they post right. I love the look and the pipes sound great. Overall, I'd say this turned out better than I expected. I don't have to decide if I like bags or bagless, I just decide what I want today. I can change in less than a half hour.
Steve
'01 RoadKing Police

View attachment 30636

View attachment 30637

1 - 15 of 15 Posts