V-Twin Forum banner
2481 - 2500 of 2502 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wondering how many miles you have on it and if you had any problems with it especially the cam chain tensioners.
I have 25K miles on it and I check the cam chain tensioners at the 10K mile mark. So far so good the tensioner shoes show acceptable wear and stippling. When I do change them I'm only changing out the shoes. My cam bearings were changed during the original cam bearing recall in the early 2000's.... I think.... If not, I'll change them too.

Here's a shot of my outer tensioner at 20K miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's a Nice clean bike.I had the same bike with 50000 miles and traded it in for a 09 rk.i now have 33000 on it.i just had to replace starter.and I might have to replace compensater next season.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, I really like it too. Check out the Youtube channel, "Two Wheel Rocco" he recently bought a compensator for his Road King and shows the work on stripping it down. Turns out he didn't need one, after all, it was just a loose compensator locking nut. Ride safe brother!

·
Registered
17,643 Posts
JUST GOT MY NEW ROAD KING!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Riding in NYC. You are indeed a brave soul.

Nice ride.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's actually safer. People are much more alert. The suburbs are where you need to take an extra look. Too many opiat head Karen's making lefts out of strip malls. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
I have 25K miles on it and I check the cam chain tensioners at the 10K mile mark. So far so good the tensioner shoes show acceptable wear and stippling. When I do change them I'm only changing out the shoes. My cam bearings were changed during the original cam bearing recall in the early 2000's.... I think.... If not, I'll change them too.

Here's a shot of my outer tensioner at 20K miles.
View attachment 264959
I have had my 2005 Road King Classic since new and never received a recall on my cam bearings. When I had to rebuild my engine at 10,571 mile after the first year of riding. It was because of bad Chinese valve seals that Harley-Davidson knew about. Found at that time that my inner tensioner was about to explode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello! So I recently purchased a 2004 Road king classic and I’m not positive but she seems to run a little hot and I’m just not sure how to tell what’s good and what’s bad - I just purchased Love jugs ( for traffic etc. ) along with a digital read on the oil dipstick to monitor the oil temp but won’t have them until next week , I threw a fluke thermal thermometer on the heads right next the spark plug and they were around 350 deg f on the rear and a bit less on the front ? Is that normal ? It was about 85 deg and I was doing around 70 for 20 miles and then 45 for 20 more

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Good to YouTube. Type in Kevin Baxter spark plugs. Watch the video on reading spark plugs. That will tell you if you are running lean which would cause it to run extra hot.
Remember that you are riding on top of a oven.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good to YouTube. Type in Kevin Baxter spark plugs. Watch the video on reading spark plugs. That will tell you if you are running lean which would cause it to run extra hot.
Remember that you are riding on top of a oven.
Thank you for the advise , I watched the video and unfortunately it doesn’t say much on how my fuel injected 88 ci v twin motor should look but I pulled the plugs and from what I can tell they look good , a little on the grey side though ?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
If there are any white specks on top of the porcelain then I would say you are running lean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If there are any white specks on top of the porcelain then I would say you are running lean.
There was no white spots on the porcelain just the ground strap was grey but according to the video it looked really good , much better than I expected

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
You should be good then.

Mine never feels very hot. But then I ceramic coated my heads, pistons and headers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should be good then.

Mine never feels very hot. But then I ceramic coated my heads, pistons and headers.
I just changed the oils in it and put some new top of the line spark plugs in it and checked temps again and I think before I might have been pointing close to the plugs because after pointing it to the side more the temp drops 280-300 up to 320 so yeah I think I’m good , thank you all

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
If you start to get spark knock. Change back to the stock type plug. The ECU is sensitive to the ion resistance of spark plugs.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,294 Posts
I just changed the oils in it and put some new top of the line spark plugs in it and checked temps again and I think before I might have been pointing close to the plugs because after pointing it to the side more the temp drops 280-300 up to 320 so yeah I think I’m good , thank you all
What are "top of the line" spark plugs?

I don't think reading the temp at a cooler spot is really a solution to your heat question. 350 would not be an unreasonable head temp while running down the highway. That heat will be held for a while in the metal.

2481 - 2500 of 2502 Posts