V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to All..

My dilemma.. My first touring bike..

RK or RKC.. Looking at '09 or '10 models.. ??

Any advice ?

Thanks !:hmmm:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :)

The RK or RKC is a decision you will have to make on your own. It all depends on which one you like and what you plan to do with it. That being said, I have the RKC. Just remember that the leather bags do not lock, but the cruise control is nice. I don't have a problem with the bags not locking, but some people do. I have ridden it 115k miles and no one has ever bothered anything. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
789 Posts
As they say " Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". My only serious advice I could give you is #1, do you like the look of the bike, and # 2, can you set on it flat footed. If you buy a bike that's too tall for you, you'll spend a fortune getting it ti fit you right and probably lose ground clearance and screw up the handling of the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
look at earlier models

i'd look at earlier models03-05.pre 96"inch alot of motor problems after 05-crank bearings and top end problems.not to bad mouth the motor company but they are sure cheapening the quality but not the price.
just my opinion

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have the RKC. I have loved it; but if I had to do it again I would get the RK...I think the Hard bags, which can lock, are more useful. Most of the rest is style. As to the 09 and 10 models: there may be some differences that matter. Wheel size. I think the RK has larger wheels than the RKC. ABS and cruise control. I recommend both. Engine size -- both in those years are 96 ci, I believe.

·
No work, all play
109 Posts
Hi Newboy317! Welcome to the forum!

I suggest you also consider the police version of the Road King (FLHP). You can get a great deal on a police bike. Generally these bikes were leased to local or state police. Most are very well maintained and are excellent values.

Recent models have the 103 engine and often have the optional anti-lock brakes. The colors are limited, but the $$ you save on the bike can go towards a custom paint job!

I have a 2002 FLHPI. The original red switches for the pursuit lamps and siren are still mounted. It makes me smile every time I fire it up.

Good luck finding your new bike.

Oz

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
It was a no brain'r for me as I know what I like.

I like the hard, lockable bags and blackwalls. Others really like the leather looking bags and whitewalls.

I also like blue.

Which-ever you decide will be a great choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't like cleaning leather and don't like cleaning spokes. The choice was a no-brainer for me. I prefer the hard bags and cast wheels. I found one with cruise/security and anti-lock brakes already installed.

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts

I like the hard, lockable bags and blackwalls. Others really like the leather looking bags and whitewalls.

I also like blue.

What he said! @gree:

I went for the Police version. I like the "Hockey Pucks". Makes you able to get into the bags without ever leaving the seat.

·
Registered
93 Posts

I also like blue.

@gree:

But it's a big personal choice. As I have read around these forums many times (and is 100% true in my case) "You don't pick the bike, the bike picks you".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your comments.. No decision yet, but am favoring the Classic..

Prefer the leather bags and the wide white walls.....

·
Registered
789 Posts
FYI, Harley has a lock kit available for the hard leather bags on the RK Classic. So if you like the look of the Classic, you can still have locking saddle bags. If you can find a leftover or used 2011, you'll get the 103 motor, cruise and ABS. All stock on the 2011 Classic. I love mine. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts