V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 RK Classic and I'm getting the tins custom painted now. I want to lower the bike an inch but my questions is, when you lower the rear an inch, should you lower the front too?

I know the Road King Custom uses 12" shocks instead of 13", but are the front ends on the Custom different from the Standard and Classic?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I have an '02 RK Classic and I'm getting the tins custom painted now. I want to lower the bike an inch but my questions is, when you lower the rear an inch, should you lower the front too?

I know the Road King Custom uses 12" shocks instead of 13", but are the front ends on the Custom different from the Standard and Classic?

Thanks!
My understanding is that the Custom has the same front end as the Classic.... call the dealer to be sure... or just wait for someone to reply who knows what they are talking about.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went out to the H-D web site. The low profile shocks for the Road King do not say you have to use the front end lowering kit. But the front end lowering kit says you must use the low profile rear shocks. Guess its okay.

When I'm up at the dealer this weekend I'll measure the height of the headlight from the ground on the Custom and Standard.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
thatoldbike said:

Thanks!
Well, to throw another log on the fire - I lowered both and love it. Get the Racetech emulator kit with springs or Progressive brand springs and I think you will love the lowered ride with some Progressive 440s in the rear.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
thatoldbike said:

Thanks!

most just drop the rear...pretty sure the "whites lowering kit" will work on the 02's (i have it on my 01 flhr)..lot cheaper option than junking an already paid for set of OEM shocks and buy some low profile new ones at big bucks..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a '96 roadking and just the rear is lowered. With just the rear lowered I do not have much ground clearance- I am 5'-8" and 190-195lbs. The guy I bought it from lowered the front too to match the rear, but would bottom out on serious bumps and speed bumps.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I confirmed with the dealer that the FLHR/C and FLHRS use the same front fork springs.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
thatoldbike said:

Thanks!
My 2000 Road King Classic is lowered 2" in the rear and 1" in the front with progressive shocks and I like the way it looks with the back end a little lower than the front.

However, I've managed to put a dent in the top of the front fender from hitting some serious potholes, plus I put a dent in my back and ended up with a ruptured disc, so I'm thinking about jacking her back up a little.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I lowered my '06 Classic with that $100 kit - remount top and bottom of the rear factory shocks. Took it down about an inch and a half. Had two of my buddies sit on it (at the same time) to make sure it had fender clearance. Worked out well. Running 15 psi in the shocks.

Was wondering the same thing - do I need to lower the front...... but it works well the way it is now so I don't plan to lower the front. Two of my friends have the same setup (that's where I got the idea).

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to go with a set of air shocks from a Streetglide (12"), but decided to try the Progressive 412's. I ordered them in 12" Heavy Duty (I'm 215lbs). That should lower the rear end 1". I wanted the Progressive 440's and I'm sure they are superior to the 412's, but the 412's are half the cost of the 440's and from the posts I read, the 412's are much better than the stock shocks. We'll see. They should be here this Friday but I won't get my tins back from the painter for 2 or 3 more weeks. I should be back on the road by 3/11.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Received (finally) my Progressive 412s

I ordered the Progressive 412s from www.accwhse.com. They were 12" Heavy Duty in chrome. $182.95. Sounds like a good price right? Get my order confirmation but no final price. It took 2 weeks for the shocks to finally show up at my door via FedEx Ground. I looked at my credit card statement and the total was $202.07. Can you believe $24.07 for ground shipping and it took them over a week just to get the order out of their warehouse. To top it off I found the exact same shocks (same part number 412-4050C) brand new from a dealer on ebay for $165 Buy It Now plust $15 shipping. I'll never do business with those bozos at accwhse.com again.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
smknauss said:
Really be curious to hear how you like those 412's once you get them on.
I'll let everyone know next weekend. My tins will be back from paint one day next week and I'll get the bike all back together on Saturday March 4th. ?prty:

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I'll let everyone know next weekend. My tins will be back from paint one day next week and I'll get the bike all back together on Saturday March 4th. ?prty:
Thanks! Good luck with it, and post some pics when it's back together!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does lowering the rear of a Road King with low profile shocks negetively effect the ride comfort for 2 up riding. Just bought a new King for comfort on trips and don't want to screw up?

Thanks RCL

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
AISTQM said:
Does lowering the rear of a Road King with low profile shocks negetively effect the ride comfort for 2 up riding. Just bought a new King for comfort on trips and don't want to screw up?

Thanks RCL
I'm not an expert by any means - I can only go from my own experience, but it sure seems to me that with my low profile shocks, the ride can be rough if the road is bad - I've bottomed out on multiple occasions to the point of denting the front fender (and I don't think it's because my ass has gotten too fat ;) ). I'd think that would be amplified if you had a passenger adding weight as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts