V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a 97 Road King FLHPI on a trade. Problem is it will idle all day but as soon as you give any throttle it bogs down and dies. I can't figure out the problem. any help is greatly appreciated.
{EDIT} Since apparently I didn't give enough info.

It is a 97 Road King stock Magnetti Marelli EFI.

Nothing has been converted.

I have ordered a service manual just waiting on it to arrive

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,916 Posts
You already figured out the problem. You just told us what it is. Now you need to find a solution.

Your story is pretty open-ended and gives nobody any clue what ability you may have to figure anything out.

You should go introduce yourself (like newbies should) and get your hands on a factory service manual if you plan to try and sort things out yourself. 1997

You'll get a pretty wide range of replies on dealing with that MM EFI system (if the original system is still there). For all we know, it has been converted to a carb.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,916 Posts
Based on the mileage in your intro post, that bike has done a lot of sitting idle. Do you know when it was last run before you acquired it?

When you fire it up, do you hear the idle speed change (get lower) as it warms up?

Have you checked the condition of the spark plugs? tested resistance on plug wires? cleaned air filter? cleaned IAC module?

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
bogging and dies is usually an issue with fuel, or air... those old bikes had fuel line inside the tank issues,, also pressure regulator pump and filter... delphi fixed that.. or it could be a sticking iac motor,, a temp sensor.
as already advised pull the codes,,, the service manual is already on order,,, you may need the electrical manual to sort it out,,,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got a 97 Road King FLHPI on a trade. Problem is it will idle all day but as soon as you give any throttle it bogs down and dies. I can't figure out the problem. any help is greatly appreciated.
{EDIT} Since apparently I didn't give enough info.

It is a 97 Road King stock Magnetti Marelli EFI.

Nothing has been converted.

I have ordered a service manual just waiting on it to arrive
I have a 97RK and had the same problem. for me it turned out to be a bad throttle position sensor. I have the original Magnetti Marelli EFI, I don't remember the code nor do I remember exactly how to get it on the odometer. I have had nearly 80K miles since then. Hope this helps a little
BellBro2

·
Registered
558 Posts
Since it is new to you, you have no idea when it was even refueled last, unless you just did it. How does the fuel smell? Old and sour or reasonably normal? Your symptoms are classic for fuel restriction. Check pressure and flow if you have the equipment, if not a preemptive fuel filter change is in order and possibly a new sock, depending on how long it had been sitting Siphon a little fuel out of the tank, use the submerged end of the hose as a vacuum cleaner in the low spot of the tank and see if you get a bunch of junk or the fuel comes out clean. You may need to flush/rinse out the tank before going much farther.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
get the M&M codes...

With the run/stop switch @ run, cycle the ignition switch 3 times, off/on, off/on, off/ON. The engine lite will flash quickly, then pause and flash the stored codes. Count the flashes and the spaces, they will give you numbers.

Mine just read 1 flash... 6 flashes... then quick flashes and start again. Code 16, battery voltage.

The only other code I've seen was 41, Crank position sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts