V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
not sober all the time
5,997 Posts
Like Bone82 said, "it depends on how you plan to use it." My 2004 Road King Custom has carried my wife and I on several long trips, 5,000 miles+, and many shorter ones until she bought her bike in 2009. I bought a new 2015 Electra Glide and enjoyed better ride of the newer chassis and suspension until my back refused to accept long road trips. My back gives me a hard time even in a cage sometimes but atleast I can slide behind the steering wheel and make it back home.

Certain parts or accessories for older bikes may be a little harder to find but newer bikes have more complex electrical and engine control systems depending on the year models you are comparing. I'd pass on a MM EFI bike. If you want a carb, you'll need to go back a few years. For long hauls, the newer suspension is better and the cam drive is more reliable. I went to gear drive on the '04 to avoid the tensioner issue when I did a 95" build many years ago.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, I have read all the replies and couldn't understand what "a stab.... on the more recent years", would mean. Aside from that, no, your info is not confusing to me. Why are you so testy over a simple question?
Sorry to disappoint but I'm not testy....or rude.
I have no way of knowing your reading comprehension or if you are retarded or just pushing for a rise out of someone. Maybe try someone else for a rise? No action here for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
General Call.
I smell a Dog Pile coming.
Line forms to the right.
Let's all teach this testy, rude, dog faced pony soldier how we roll here at the V-twin Forum.

Line forms to the left to give thanks to someone would contributes information. Nearly unheard of .

I do have to volunteer that I'd have to question anyone concerning motives of who would advocate the "charms" of the Twin Cam motor to anyone....ya know, at any price.

I just call em Milwaukee Edsels.
Right up there on the Totem Pole with the Rust Mores and Shower Stalls.

See I do realize that all this bristles the fur on a skunks back. Like how rude and testy. Dig?

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
Unbeknownst to many Vtwin members is this forum is viewed by people from all over the world. He was just asking what did the word 'stab' pertained to. No biggie to ask sometimes I see slang from other countries. Easy enough to figure out what they mean. Thanksgiving is a couple days away lets work on what the day means and go back to what this thread is about.2¢

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah you're right.

But in light of it being Thanksgiving and all.....

The very ideal of O.J. Simpson reading our form and taking offense to my "stab" reference never occurred to me.

How insensitive of me.
Unbeknownst to many Vtwin members is this forum is viewed by people from all over the world. He was just asking what did the word 'stab' pertained to. No biggie to ask sometimes I see slang from other countries. Easy enough to figure out what they mean. Thanksgiving is a couple days away lets work on what the day means and go back to what this thread is about.2¢

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes, 2009 and newer would be your best bet. Except for the new style saddlebag latches, the Rushmore doesn't do much for a Roadking, the M8 and better forks make a marked improvement for the 2017 and newer bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is some specific model year upgrades that are significant:
In 2007 touring bikes got the 6 speed.
In 2009 they got a new, better frame.
In 2014 they got improved front end with larger diameter fork tubes
In 2017 they get the M8

I have had 1986, 2005, 2007 touring Harleys and now have a 2009 & 2015. If it were me, I'd get as late a model year as I could afford and I'd start at 2009 if that's in your budget.

·
Super Moderator
21,747 Posts
09 to 14 has the best frame and front fork set up. The 08 and older frames have some handling issues, fixable, but can spill you. The Rushmore frames have more bells and whistles, but worse forks and front geometry. And with each passing year, the bits and pieces were more cheaply made.

Older carbed Evos are fine, but any scooter that old is going to be high maintenance. MM injected Evos are to be avoided. Early 88inch Twin cams need to have the cam chests upgraded. The late 06 and 07 Twin cam are to be avoided. The M8's are smoother and make better power, but the defect list is long. And continues into the 21's

If I was looking for a used one, I would probably be looking at 12-14's with 103's

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I'll chime in with a different perspective. IMHO I believe the best dresser was the 2002 model. That is if you're willing to make some changes. Obviously the chain tensioners are the big fault of the 88's. I completely concur with this. However, the 2002 was the last of the timken bearing cranks that were forged. The bottom end of these bikes was the best Harley ever made. They had very little runnout on the crank and were conducive to gear drive. Buying all the parts to convert to gear drive, including the cams, would be less than a grand if I recall properly. No guarantee there! Years ago I punched mine out to 95" and installed gear drive cams and it's been solid as a rock. 115,000 miles and counting. It was carbureted but I've recently converted to fuel injection. What a pleasure to ride! So if you have a budget and want something with a little less cost I'd easily consider a 2002 fuel injected machine and just budget in the cost of the gear drive cams. Happy hunting with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I’m looking at used road kings. Other bikes have changed certain things over the years, example the wide glide changed frame forks rear end in 2010. What are the generations of road kings and the changes that have gone along with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a 2004 roadking. The airshocks filled properly were horrible. My wife's spine was hurt riding NY to Maine. Ofcourse being an older bike the harness developed a cracked wire and the trip was minus a headlight. I could not find the problem taking apart what I could. Old bikes are a gamble until you get to n=kow them and work on them.

·
Super Moderator
21,747 Posts
I am curious, what about these engines makes them avoidable and how does one identify this era serial number? Meaning what is a late '06 and avoid all '07s?
Thanks
There was a manufacturing defect with the cranks. Started in late 06 and lasted well into 07. Lots and lots of them slipped on the pin. And even more of them had the pin surfaces fail. The Asian supplier was blamed by the MoCo, accused of using the wrong lube when pressing the cranks together. The people who fix cranks for a living tend to point the finger at the parts being improperly hardened. Just replacing the crank is a $2500 repair, and there can be a lot of other damage too. The MoCo just ended up replacing those engines, but only for the original owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BTW,Road Kings were Evo 's originally and MM fuel injection was an option on the later year Evo's.
Stay away from the early fuel injected bikes with the Magnetti Moritti system as parts like the ECM are no longer available and very hard to diagnose. Look on the left side of the fuel tank. If it has two lines going to it, walk away.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts