V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking at used road kings. Other bikes have changed certain things over the years, example the wide glide changed frame forks rear end in 2010. What are the generations of road kings and the changes that have gone along with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Touring frames changed in 2009, and then components changed in 2014, and again in 2017 with the M8's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Early RK's were Carbureted and had the worst cam chain tensioner design. Then the tensioners were corrected to a certain degree and Fuel Injection was introduced, along with electronics. Some frame dimensions may have changed along the way. And then the new M8 model's. Perhaps someone else can help with the actual years. There are many upgrades available for all models. I have an 04 FLHRIS, which is injected, Shriner addition, I absolutely love it! Good luck in your search....

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Early RK's were Carbureted and had the worst cam chain tensioner design. Then the tensioners were corrected to a certain degree and Fuel Injection was introduced, along with electronics. Some frame dimensions may have changed along the way. And then the new M8 model's. Perhaps someone else can help with the actual years. There are many upgrades available for all models. I have an 04 FLHRIS, which is injected, Shriner addition, I absolutely love it! Good luck in your search....
I think you need to do a little research before answering...

Early Road Kings had a gear driven cam...

They had Evo engines...

·
Registered
604 Posts
All of this information is available open source on the internet, possibly even on this forum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I owned a 2000 Road King for several years that I rode about 35K. I did the cam chain tensioner shoes at 30K and they were about shot.
I thought it was a great bike, though I upgraded from a 1986 FXR and previously a Wide Glide Shovel Head.
In 2007 the upgrades were a 6 speed transmission, hydraulic cam tensioner and a high flo oil pump. cam tensioners supposedly last twice as long with this upgrade.
2009 was in my opinion the biggest changes ever to the FLH bikes new frame, swingarm, better engine mounting, these things were absolute game changers in the ride and handling.
I personally wouldn’t buy a pre 2009, the difference between my 2000 and my 2011.. ( the 11 being the same as an 09) were amazing!
I also owned two 2014 and newer Road Kings and they were definitely better than the 09, though not as drastic.
If money isn’t an issue I would go with 2014 and newer. But the 2009-2013 are great bikes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I owned a 2000 Road King for several years that I rode about 35K. I did the cam chain tensioner shoes at 30K and they were about shot.
I thought it was a great bike, though I upgraded from a 1986 FXR and previously a Wide Glide Shovel Head.
In 2007 the upgrades were a 6 speed transmission, hydraulic cam tensioner and a high flo oil pump. cam tensioners supposedly last twice as long with this upgrade.
2009 was in my opinion the biggest changes ever to the FLH bikes new frame, swingarm, better engine mounting, these things were absolute game changers in the ride and handling.
I personally wouldn’t buy a pre 2009, the difference between my 2000 and my 2011.. ( the 11 being the same as an 09) were amazing!
I also owned two 2014 and newer Road Kings and they were definitely better than the 09, though not as drastic.
If money isn’t an issue I would go with 2014 and newer. But the 2009-2013 are great bikes.
Thank you very much

·
Registered
39 Posts
It looks like a stab has been made on the more recent years.

The first RK frame was 94 to 96.
In 96 the M+M fuel injection was introduced to the RK lineup as an option.
Yes they were EVO engines.
My favorite year was the 1996 which was equipped with air suspension on both ends. I believe that the 96 had new switches and housings.

Now I've noticed that the Atomic bomb factory must of laid off a whole shift of Hair Splitters and they are all wadded up here. Making a mistake has the same net effect as dropping your soap in the shower.

With that in mind I find it necessary to mention that this post like all my others are "based on actual events that may have either happened, or made up".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you read the other replies?
It means simply and transparently that other posters addressed the later year development of the Road King model.
If the first generation RK information that I supplied is confusing to you then you can either disregard it or whistle a happy tune while you count your lucky stars.
Not too complex?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a chance to buy a 2000 for around 6500. It is in impeccable condition. Although I think maybe just a couple more bucks can get me an 09 or 10. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Have you read the other replies?
It means simply and transparently that other posters addressed the later year development of the Road King model.
If the first generation RK information that I supplied is confusing to you then you can either disregard it or whistle a happy tune while you count your lucky stars.
Not too complex?
Yes, I have read all the replies and couldn't understand what "a stab.... on the more recent years", would mean. Aside from that, no, your info is not confusing to me. Why are you so testy over a simple question?

·
Super Moderator
3,446 Posts
I have a chance to buy a 2000 for around 6500. It is in impeccable condition. Although I think maybe just a couple more bucks can get me an 09 or 10. Thoughts?

I have no idea what that bike is worth.However, if it is fuel injected I would pass on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I guess it depends on how you plan to use it. If you plan on doing any trips or you want to really hit the twisties for some spirited riding, I would stay away from it.
you would be giving up a lot compared to an 09 or 10.
I use mine for week long trips and a lot of mountain and canyon riding and I would hate to go back to an older model.
If you do choose to buy it, I think it would be a good idea to get verification that the cam shoes have been replaced. Miles are only one factor on those going bad.. they are made of plastic and they would be 21 years old. when I redid mine, I upgraded to the hydraulic tensioners and changed to the high flow oil pump.. the same system as the 2007’s
I believe that would be preferable.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts