V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 99. I think Im going to remove the front air fittings and go with no air. Will the current springs work? What about fork oil? Any tips or tricks ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Why remove the fittings? Just let the air out. You can use the air lines for fork oil changes. I put SE Heavy oil in mine and found that I no longer need the air even when riding loaded heavy and two-up.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
How do you use the air lines to change the fork oil?
-Orion

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
zogorion said:
How do you use the air lines to change the fork oil?
-Orion
After draining the old oil, you can attach a vacuum tool to the front air valve and suck the fresh fork oil up into the forks. Procedure listed in the HD service manual.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link. I am looking at a little less costly way to do it. The bike budget is overdrawn as it is with the new paint and other things. I might just go with a rebuild and all new seals and leave it as it is.The only reason i was going to redo it was I hit a large turtle on the road last year. I hit so hard it split those air caps in about 10 pcs. I bought all new stuff,and it didnt leak all summer. I did have a slight oil leak, but it still held air for extended lengths of time. Im thinking the oil was coming from the hit on the turtle and i missed some on the clean-up. I removed the chrome "cow bells" and there was oil betwwen the mounting surfaces.There in no sign of oil on the seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts