V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not ridden a motorcycle for 28 years. I want to buy a bike. I have a chance to buy a Road King custom at a good price. Should I start back with this bike or go with a smaller bike. Just concerned.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Hmm, great bike, great price, Texas? WOW, wide open spaces, I say GO FOR IT !!!! :)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I laid off for 25 years, turned 50, and bought an '05 Road King Custom. I love it. Had my eyes on a Fat Boy all those years, but I only had to see the RKC once to change my mind. Very comfortable (get rid of the seat) and it has treated me well.

Good luck... take the safety course.

8-Ball

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I too hadn't ridden in over 25 years. Bought a Fat Boy and enjoyed it for 6 months. Now want a shield and a bag and am trading up for a RKC. Cost me a bunch more $. RKC handles like a dream. Like others say, take the course and practice low speed turning and braking. Go forward and don't look back.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
My first bike ever! Never rode and got on one and loved it, although I had only a sportster to compare it to.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
i waited til i hit 50 to get the geezers ride. moved up from an 86' softail custom. shoulda done it years before...whatta nice ride it's been.:duh?:

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Go for it. The Geezer Glides/Full Dressers/Rolling Couches/ and Baggers are definitley where it's at! :yes:

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
I've had a sporty, heritage softail, and now the Ultra Classic. The Ultra handles better and easier than the others. I can't believe how easy this thing is to handle at low speeds and tight spots. Buy the right bike the 1st time and you will be several thousand $'s ahead.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had not ridden in so long I did'nt know I had to get a motorcycle endorsment until I had already bought. Things have changed. Used to ride Honda stuff 20 years ago. This is my first Harley, I'm 55, bought a Road Glide. Was a bit unsure of myself at first but starting to come together. Buy your Road King and don't look back..

·
1,336 Posts
I suggest buying it. If you go with something smaller you will be buying it in a year anyway, if it's what you want get it. I love mine and it is easy to ride as anything else. Nicely balanced.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Road King feels pretty nimble compared to the Ultra's. I think you'll do okay. You may want to take a Rider's Safety Course before picking it up.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Buy your last bike first! Lots of people buy a sporty, then a softail, and then a touring bike. They lose a couple G every transaction. In boating circles they call it 3 foot-itis. You always want just 3 more feet. Get the tourer, you'll love it!
I too found a Road King at a great price. Hadn't riden in 15 years. I really liked the looks of the heirtage, but the King is the King!

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Buy it! I had been away for awhile and bought a Dyna. Six months later I bought a RK. I wanted a RK from the get go but the OL THOUGHT the Dyna was sportier and cooler looking. Turns out it wasn't to cool after about 200 hard miles and my buddies and their OL's climb off their baggers looking all fresh and we feel like wev'e had the hell beat out of us. Cruising on a Dyna comfortably is 55-65 on a bagger 70-80.

A buddy of mine decided to take up riding again and was eyeing a Dyna. I suggested to go ahead and get a bagger since that is what he'll be buying in the near future. Anyway's he buys a Dyna, six months later he bought a RK.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Do It!

I'm 29 years old and I ride a Road King Classic. You'll be fine. My first motorcycle ever, with virtually no riding experience, was a 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad...100 lb. heavier, and a longer wheelbase than the Harley, and I never had a problem!

~!Awesome!

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Go for it. Be careful starting out, don't push the envelope right off.

14 months after my son bought a XL1200C and watching him have all the fun, I bought a 2005 RKClassic in June which now has 11,000 miles on it. My previous riding experience was about 75 miles on my son's Sportster. At 51, I now know I waited too long to start riding. But we're working hard on catching up.

The RK is surprisingly nimble for a touring bike, it still surprises me. So far it's done everything I've asked of it.

Be alert, use your eyes and mirrors, ride like you're invivible and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Go for it! No sense wasting time and money wishing you had something bigger. However, as previously said, the MSF Basic Rider or HOG's Rider's Edge courses are invaluable. The best part about the MSF Basic course is you get to use someone else's bike, just in case you drop it in "the box". Either of those courses are worth 2 - 3 months practical experience. Follow those up with the MSF Experienced Rider course, and you'll gain a huge amount of skill, not to mention confidence.-2$en#e-

1 - 20 of 26 Posts