V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any? I'm thinking about replacing my 440 12'' to squeak another 1/2'' out of the rear.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Got the 12" on my EGC, I wouldn't drop it any further. Be like riding a hardtail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, at 150 lbs and a 28'' inseam, I'm looking to have my feet firmy planted. Sure, I love the look of a slammed bike but I don't want to DRASTICALLY degrade the ride. A little will be fine. My 12'' 440s are set at the lightest setting and I NEVER bottom out.

After some more research, it may be my best option to switch to 418s. With that shock, I'll be able to adjust the dampening.

I'm just curious if anyone knows how much ride comfort I would loose by going 1/2'' shorter. Especially at my weight.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I just installed a set of 12" 412s heavy duty on my RK. I finally got the bike back together last night a sat on it. I have a feeling I'm going to be sending them off to progressive to change out the springs. Man was it stiff on the softest setting. I'll get out this weekend and put some miles on it and I hope its not too bad. I'm 6' 220lbs.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I've no first hand experience with the Progressive 11.5" shocks, but at your size and weight, I'd think they would work fine. To me at least, getting your feet flat on the ground is way more important than sacrificing a tiny bit of ride. I'm betting the 11.5's will feel great.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have used both the 12" standard spring 440's & the 11.5" standard spring 440's.

The 12" give a MUCH better ride(Progressive will tell you this also)

~John

·
FNG
320 Posts
Artman said:
Anyone have any? I'm thinking about replacing my 440 12'' to squeak another 1/2'' out of the rear.
Id be interested in buying those from you for a fair price. That could make your decision easier :D

you can email me at [email protected]

d.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
shocks and ride

before you go out and invest in the progressive shocks give this a look
give them a jingle and see what they have to say and ask for a comparitive with the progessives...
ask about the flh with the bleed system...
What this offers is a dual chamber rather then one chamber and a spring on top...
I asked about the ride to some of the members who has them on a softail and they were all pleased to say the least...
They were advertized in one of the mags recently...
check there web page out: http://www.platinumairsuspension.com/
give us some feed back
To me these sound like a desirable system to have...
It seems one can have the best of both worlds...
The height and not lose any ride or handling comfort...

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Artman said:
Actually, at 150 lbs and a 28'' inseam, I'm looking to have my feet firmy planted. Sure, I love the look of a slammed bike but I don't want to DRASTICALLY degrade the ride. A little will be fine. My 12'' 440s are set at the lightest setting and I NEVER bottom out.

After some more research, it may be my best option to switch to 418s. With that shock, I'll be able to adjust the dampening.

I'm just curious if anyone knows how much ride comfort I would loose by going 1/2'' shorter. Especially at my weight.

Thanks.
Do you ride two up, then its a bad Ideal.

Do you really think 1/2" lower on the shocks will do what you want, try different boots or seat.

Those 11.5 ride rough on long rides, RXR crossings, bumps.

Which springs are on the 440's?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jmorton10 said:
I have used both the 12" standard spring 440's & the 11.5" standard spring 440's.

The 12" give a MUCH better ride(Progressive will tell you this also)

~John
Funny. Progressive told me that there would be about a 10% decrease in ride quality which I can live with. I equate that to the stock lowered air shocks that come with the bike. Tesitimonials like yours, however, are far more influential. Thanks.

Art

·
FNG
320 Posts
you should do some reading on the hdforums.com

Ive seen a number of threads over there and most of the feedback that Ive seen was positive on the 11 1/2 440's

d.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Artman said:
Tesitimonials like yours, however, are far more influential. Thanks.

Art
Believe me, I really wanted the 11.5's to be awesome. I am 5'6" with about a 29" inseam & I still miss the low seat height of my old 01 Heritage. That extra 1/2" shorter length in the shocks is REALLY noticeable in the ride however & only lowers the seat about 1/4" anyway, so it's definitely not worth it IMHO.

12" standard spring 440's ride/handle better than stock EG air shocks.

~John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had 12" 440's installed on a 04 RK custom, replaced with 11.5 412's, and found the ride to be a little harsher, but still much better than stock. Doesn't bottom out...but scrapes the boards on a regular basis...(no real damage) Just scapes to the floor boards. (outer edge). 5'6" and 175..fyi..

Randy

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I put 11.5" progressive 412's on my wifes RKC and on her new Street Glide. She weighs 135 and has no complaints whatsover about the ride. When I talked to Progressive they said the IAS system in the 440's worked better in the 12, 12.5 and 13' shocks and recommended the 11.5" 412's. I ride her bike occasionally and I weigh 240 and the ride is not at all harsh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WaSEEG said:
440's worked better in the 12, 12.5 and 13' shocks and recommended the 11.5" 412's.
Interesting. That's one of the reasons I was thinking about the 418. It sounds like a good mix between 440s and 412s since it has adjustable dampening. But hey, 412's are available for under $200 and it may be worth a try.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts