V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a Road King Custom with stock suspension and I'm 115Kg (about 254 Pounds!) (now I'm driving with stock shock at 14 PSI) and would buy a Progressive...

I live in Rome (Italy) and I use my bike everyday driving (without passenger)in my city (our roads are very bad and and there are a lot of pot holes) and short Trips about 300-350Km (220 miles) with a passenger during weekend a two long trip for a year 3.500Km (2200 miles) with a passenger and baggage.

I'm looking 440HD but some of my friend tell me they are too strong and they think is better STANDARD.

what do you think about?

thanks!:wavey:

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I don't have them on my bike but from what I have read on this site you should go with the 440HD's especially if you ride a passenger. If you rode solo all the time you still may be better off going with the HD's.

I sure someone with them and similar weight will chime in.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Progressive only recommends going to heavy duty for bikes operated at or near the manufactures maximum load rating over 50% of the time. HD is not an upgrade, it's not better, it's for a specific application. A heavily loaded bike most of the time. If you put HD shocks on a bike where the load does not require it the ride will be harsh.

lowbar

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I have standard duty 13" 440s on my street glide and ride two up, together we are 340-350. I ohly have 3 full twists in the preload out of a possible 9 or 10. We have never bottomed and love the ride. Based on all of that I would say you do not need the HD and should be very happy with the standard duty.

I don't know how much you like the lowered look of the RK custom. The SG is lowered and inch as well but when I went to the 440 I got the full length 13" version and I am very happy. I don't know if you might be more likely to need HD if you stay with a 12" shock.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I'd stick with the standatrd unless you and/or your pillion are very heavy. Standards in the shorter length (same as Custom) worked fine on my 2002 Road King and I weight 80kg and son about the same. Most of the time I kep them on the minimum setting. The great thing about the 440s is they damp so well you don't have to set them really hard to get good control.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I have the 440 HD's on my 99 FLHT. I weigh 225 and wife is around 140. I keep them set at 4 or 5 all the time even when I pull the trailer behind me. Have no problems with a harsh ride when I'm by myself and have never bottomed out when loaded up.

At your weight of 254, I'd go with the HD's.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
When I replaced the shocks on my '05 Custom, I called Progressive first to find out the difference between the standard and HD. The tech guy told me to choose the standard if my weight was under 225 pounds. The heavy duty shocks were designed for riders above 225 and above.

I tend to agree with lowbar. If you ride 2-up and loaded most of the time, you may like them. Between the wife and myself we're about 335 pounds body weight carrying about 25-30 lbs of gear. We just took a 1,300 mile trip and kept the shocks at 3 turns. We tried 2 and 4 turns for a while but 3 worked the best. Problem with short shocks is they will never ride as nice as the longer shocks on the RK Classics.

·
Registered
357 Posts
which did you get ?

rides99fatboy said:
When I replaced the shocks on my '05 Custom, I called Progressive first to find out the difference between the standard and HD. The tech guy told me to choose the standard if my weight was under 225 pounds. The heavy duty shocks were designed for riders above 225 and above.

I tend to agree with lowbar. If you ride 2-up and loaded most of the time, you may like them. Between the wife and myself we're about 335 pounds body weight carrying about 25-30 lbs of gear. We just took a 1,300 mile trip and kept the shocks at 3 turns. We tried 2 and 4 turns for a while but 3 worked the best. Problem with short shocks is they will never ride as nice as the longer shocks on the RK Classics.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see where you said if you went with standard or hd ?

Which was it ? Thanks ?
edited) - I don't think that short shocks on ANY bike will ever ride as good as long shocks, do you ?
I'm sure that having the 12's on my FXR is a part of the reason that I bottom out so much of the time. I'm sure that having 'stock' shocks is another reason that I bottom out so much of the time, even when riding solo.
Mikey

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
fxr4mikey said:
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see where you said if you went with standard or hd ?

Which was it ? Thanks ?
edited) - I don't think that short shocks on ANY bike will ever ride as good as long shocks, do you ?
I'm sure that having the 12's on my FXR is a part of the reason that I bottom out so much of the time. I'm sure that having 'stock' shocks is another reason that I bottom out so much of the time, even when riding solo.
Mikey
Sorry, went with standard. I have a FXLR with short stock shocks and it rides tons better than the Road King. Of course, it's way lighter too. There's a lot of factors that come into play for getting a smooth ride. But like for like, long shocks give a better ride. The 440s are better than the stock air shock on my King, but I wouldn't say they are perfect. We still bottom out on occasion.

There's a nice thread on the forum where some guy played with the oil in the air shock and "customized" its performance. I might have tried that first instead of spending $400 on the 440s.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I weigh 235, passenger 160. I went from HD to Standard because a friend said that is what I should do. I eventually ordered the HD springs and the tool to change them out from progressive. I like the HD, they will take some time to settle in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts