V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the Road King Custom dash will not fit on a Road King prior to 2004? Part number 71306-04 says it fits '04-later FLHR and FLHRCI models.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I believe its due to the stud that the acorn nut screws onto is in a lower position on the 2004 and up tanks.

Here is a post where an attempt was made to install the console on a pre 2004 bike.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info.

The 02 and 06 FLHR and FLHRCI dashes have the same center-to-center from the acorn nut to the lower screw hole for mounting. But if the Road King Custom dash acorn nut mounts an inch higher, I'll be there are 2 mounting points to put the top stud in the fuel pump canopy.

Maybe I'll look at the dash for the 03 FLHRSE2.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Nevermind the '04 and up....

I JUST (today) put one on a 2000 RKC... this e-bay seller has a smokin deal for the whole shebang. Go to ebay and plug in this item # 4607774896. The whole thing is a straight bolt on EXCEPT the inner speedo retaining ring. The one that comes with the kit didn't work with my 2000 speedo. Perhaps the Road King Custom speedo is different...I don't know. I took my 2000 ring to my grinder (its plastic) and got rid of the 2 tabs that didn't fit inside the new housing. The only thing that some of you may not like is the speedo's retaining ring had a tab that engaged the console...it's function would be to prevent the speedo from rotating....well, I lopped that off. The rubber gasket, along w/ the retaining rings "clips" seem to hold it tight enough to prevent that. Everything else is strictly bolt on w/ complete instructions. Came complete w/ gasketed screws for top of gas tank (which changes the top retaining bolt position)....other than the speedo issue....easy, easy, easy.
If you're interested this part had a Buy-it-now...so you better step on it!!! I've seen them go for at least75 bucks more...
Tim

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I've seen that dealer on ebay selling them but didn't want to get it if it wouldn't fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts