V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of an 05 Fat Boy with VH pipes and 2,000 miles. I like it very much, but something is missing. Around town it is great, fast able to lean great thru twisites etc. My dilemna is no screen, no bags and a tough ride at 70-75mph. So I am thinking about trading it in for a RK Classic. I wont be doing a lot of 200mi days, but I want the best of both worlds. How do the 2 of them compare. Thanks in advance.:unsure:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You can buy a windshield and bags a lot cheaper than you can trade for, but the ride part you can't do much about. I rented an RKC last summer and rode it through Colorado. I was an absolute joy at 80mph compared to my Dyna at that speed. Smooth ride and no vibration, the mirrors were perfectly clear at 80. Where I didn't like it was at slow speeds and in traffic, too heavy for my liking. Sorry, never rode a Fat Boy so can't compare to that. The RK is a great touring bike, but it's not for me. Go rent one or test ride a demo and see how you like it.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Everyone I know who rides a RK, swears by them. When they decide to sell, they go buy another RK. Go take one for a test ride.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
I Love my King. Around town, on the highway, all over. Police bike with hard bags. The size is why it feels soooo good.

The windshield comes off if you want. Having the bags is great. I think it's a sport bike. The bike is a hot rod.

Hey, Stop over in the My story section and post up an introduction. So we can welcome you in a proper fashion.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
The Fatboy is a better handler imho. Being the FatBoy is a softtail, you may want to check out a Heritage. (if you like the softtails) They are basically a FatBoy fully decked out in tour mode and mini apes.
The RKC is an awesome bike. It is what it is. A big heavy bike that handles well enough and rides excellent. It doesnt have the "B" engine like your fatboy, so you get to feel some of the vibes of the engine at idle. (which I like)
I dont think you could really ever outgrow a RK. It's a proven touring bike with strip down capability to become a capable boulevard cruiser.
The only other Harley I would consider if I sold my RK would actually be a FXDWG... And thats only because i'm beginning to miss the chopper thing and the associated fun factor...

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
How many times you said dang I wished I could have:
1) Brought that sweatshirt or Rain Suit?
2) Or my throttle hand is getting tired if I only had Cruise Control?
3) How about the wife or GF bitching about the hard ride cause the Softail shock is completely compressed,
while the RKC you can dial the air pressure.
4) Gawd I hate when bugs hit me in chest or face

RKC is more versatile and also has Cruise Control
It's the SUV of HD Family of Scooters
Remember only the Classic of the RoadKings has Cruise Control

Rent one or Ride one at your HD Dealers next Ride and Drive

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
BadTwin said:
The Fatboy is a better handler imho. Being the FatBoy is a softtail, you may want to check out a Heritage. (if you like the softtails) They are basically a FatBoy fully decked out in tour mode and mini apes.
The RKC is an awesome bike. It is what it is. A big heavy bike that handles well enough and rides excellent.
My 06 Ultra handles much better than my 05 Heritage around town and on the highway. I never thought that would be the case(low speed); but it is. I love my Ultra:cheers:

·
Free agent
795 Posts
ditto

bedemonster said:
My 06 Ultra handles much better than my 05 Heritage around town and on the highway. I never thought that would be the case(low speed); but it is. I love my Ultra:cheers:

I had a 2000 Fatboy and ran into complaints and concerns identical to yours. I mean IDENTICAL!!! Bought a Roadking Classic. More comfortable, (especially with the Sundowner seat), handles MUCH better, better in high winds. You can make it a grandpa bike with every conceivable bag (optional or standard) filled and added..or you can take off the windshield and sissy bar like previously mentioned and it looks like a beautiful nostalgic bike. Jeezz!! I love whitewalls and wires! :beer4u:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Roadking

The biggest difference is the ride between the fatboy and the road king. First, the RK has air adjustable rear suspension that makes a tremendous difference if you are going 2 up. Also loading up the bags with jackets, clothes, etc. also can be compensated for with the RK suspension. From idle to about 50 mpg the fatboy is actually smoother running then the RK.(B motor) You will notice less vibration if you are running at speed below 50. (steady speed, not acceleration thru those speeds) Once you hit about 50 mph the RK comes into its own. It then is a much smoother ride then the Fatboy. From 50 to 80 mph is where it lives best. Smooth, comfortable, and very easy to sit back and enjoy the ride. It is quite easy to find yourself doing 75 in a 50 because it just dosent feel like you are going that speed on the RK. The softail frame looks great and does a nice job on the Fatboy but it cant compare to the air suspension of the RK in terms of ride comfort. If you pull the windshield from the Rk, especially with a change in handlebars it almost looks like a fatboy with bags! Kind of the best of both worlds!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have an 02 Fatboy and an 05 RK Classic. I have put 10,000 miles on the Road King since May and 500 on the Fatboy if that tells you anything.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Thunderballs said:
I have an 02 Fatboy and an 05 RK Classic. I have put 10,000 miles on the Road King since May and 500 on the Fatboy if that tells you anything.
I think that just about sums up this discussion:brows:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bedemonster said:
I think that just about sums up this discussion:brows:
Yes, I agree it does sum it up. i am renting a RKC on Thursday. I have pretty much made up my mind on the RKC. I just need to get as much as I can for the FB. Dealer wants to give very little. thanks to all of you for your insight. :thanks:

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
You picked a great day for your ride. A little wet in the morning but the afternoon was stellar.

What bike you going to pick now?

How was the ride?

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
tlr said:
Yes, I agree it does sum it up. i am renting a RKC on Thursday. I have pretty much made up my mind on the RKC. I just need to get as much as I can for the FB. Dealer wants to give very little. thanks to all of you for your insight. :thanks:
Yeah, dealers are not looking to take on used bikes this time of year in the colder areas. The one positive aspect of the dealer trade-in is the reduction of the sales tax you pay on the new bike:cheers:

If the bike is in good shape, you may want to hold onto it over the winter. You will likely get more from your dealer when his inventory thins out as the riding season begins next year.

My dealer charges nothing to sell your used bike as long as you are getting another:woohoo:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I rode a Roadking for 10 years, and my wife currently has a 2001 Hertiage Softail which is very near a Fatboy. I much prefer the ride, handling and smoothness of the Roadking.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had a 05 fatboy with windshield and bought a t-bag for my loot. Took a ride to the Blackhills and back (1200 miles round trip). Road one of my buddies 03 RKC for a couple of miles. Got back to town on Thursday. Traded it for a 06 RKC on Friday.
I don't think the RKC feels any heavier than my Fatboy. The seat sits higher and the stock bars are terrible (already put on wild1 10"), but the ride is sooooo much better, IMO. The cruise control is wonderful, the bags are great, the seat's not too bad.
I loved the fatboy, but the RKC is the better bike for me. I don't take long trips all the time. Mostly bombing around town, back and forth to work.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
tlr: I too thought twice about owning a RK. I always consider it like a station wagon. Why would anyone what a bike like that with all stuff on it? Besides we all love the looks of a clean sleek machine, not some bulky bagger. I had this mind set until about 5 years ago when I could not stand trying to hang with my buddies on long trips. They all had touring bikes and would crank them up to 80+ and cruse. When we stopped for the day they got off their scoots like gentlemen. I was beat to sh*t. I purchased my RKC and right from the get go I was in heaven. I did a bunch of mods to get the 62hp motor up to my standards which even made me love the bike more. Go for it. It handles like a baby carriage, is comfortable as hell and with the right mods can hang with the best of them.

I too live in the Garden State which has a ton great places to ride. The bike is great everywhere. If you want a test ride I be happy to let you take mine out for a spin.?prty:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys; this is just great. exactly what I needed to hear. your description of the issues and your decisions is precisely what I am going through. I am renting a RK Classic on Thursday. I hope that the weather holds up.

Johnny 5, did you go classic or custom on the RK? Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts