V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Road King. With the factory handlebars my arms arm outstretched all the way. I would like to bring the controls about 2 or 3 inches closer to me. I realize a new set of bars would do this but I have no idea where to start so I figured I'd ask here to see if someone has done the same thing. What does it entail? Is it just a matter of changing out the bars or would I have to replace the cables and wiring as well? Also, what bars have worked for you?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Handlebars

DJMA,

I have the same problem. 03 FLHR Road King. Just wait and you'll get
somemore answers from your fellow riders/readers.

My wrench says the bars are an easy change as H-D has an extended
bar especially for the King. No major cable changes are necessary, just
recable it all back up.

Plan to do this soon, as the stock bars force my arms out that I can't even
bend my elbows. :D

Check H-D catalog, page 601, item D, custom handlebars.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Check out http://www.wild1inc.com/
for Chubbys. Better Bars less $$$.
I have the opposite problem with my King. To close for me. I'm on the verge of Chubby 515 Mini Apes.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have the CHUBBY R.K. BARS.

Brings your grips approx. 2.5" closer to you. Much more relaxed riding position - I like them.

Installation is pretty simple.

Took me 1.5 h (wiring inside bar) approx. 1 h with wiring outside.

Original cables and wires are long enough.

Don't forget to get you a new grip for the LHS - the original one is glued and you will have to cut it off or leave it on the old bar.

The bar looks great - 1.25" fat - a big diffrence to the original "pipecleaners".

Chrome quality is excellent.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Road King bars

:) The HD (part#55954) bars are probably what you need , taller with a lot more pullback , very comfortable and all cables and brake hose fit as per standard , cost about $50 .

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Make sure you ask again when you get some, get some instalation tips.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
DJ, You might want to check out a set of Heritage bars for your RK. They come stock on the FLHPI (RK Police bike) as well. No new cables or wiring changes are necessary. I'm 5'8" and reach them just fine.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgive me if this is going to sound naive but: In order to change out the bars I obviously have to remove all the controls. How difficult is this? Is it just a matter of a few bolts and screws to remove then replace? Or do I have to mess with cable and brake set ups? Meaning disconnecting stuff that will need to be adjusted to work properly when I reconnect. Did that make sense? I am at work right now so I can't go scope it out in the garage.

Whoever said buying the bike is just a downpayment for all the mods wasn't bullshitting! :D But sure is fun!:cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi DJ,

The steps are as follows

remove the headlight (not the nacelle)

remove the molding on top of the headlight (2 tiny nuts from the inside of the housing)

remove the fork lock cover

under the cover are two phillips screws - remove them and take the riser cover off.

remove the 4 plastic pieces holding the cables in place.

now take off the switch housings (2 torx bolts on each side)

rap the switch housings in a terry towel to make sure the tank doesn't get sratched.

remove the clutch lever (two torx bolts)

again rap a towel arround it and let it hang.

loosen the two torx bolts on the throttle side and have another towel handy rap the brake lever assembly in the towel and attach it with a piece of wire to the crash bar (to make sure that the brake line doesn't get bend)

now ask somebody to hold the bar and loosen the four riser bolts (clamp that holds the bar).

shift the bar to the left that the throttle grip slips off the bar. Rap the towel arround the throttle grip and let it hang down.

remove the four riser bolts and take off the bar.

Put new bar on and ask somebody to hold it, until you have the throttle grip back in place and tighten the riser bolts until the bar doesn't shift any more - you need to loose them again afterwards to adjust the bar position.

Reverse the above steps to reasemble the whole thing.

The only tricky part is, to put the brake lever assembly back on as you probably have to bend the brake line a littlebit to line it up with the shape of the new bar. Be very, very careful doeing this to not break the line.

Have fun.

·
Registered
103 Posts
DJMA said:
Forgive me if this is going to sound naive but: In order to change out the bars I obviously have to remove all the controls. How difficult is this? Is it just a matter of a few bolts and screws to remove then replace? Or do I have to mess with cable and brake set ups? Meaning disconnecting stuff that will need to be adjusted to work properly when I reconnect. Did that make sense? I am at work right now so I can't go scope it out in the garage.

Whoever said buying the bike is just a downpayment for all the mods wasn't bullshitting! :D But sure is fun!:cool:
Hi I'll be doing mine next week, could you keep us updated on what you find out.

I'm not sure how to pull the wires inside the bars, do I disconnect at the headlight harness side or the switch controls side. And are the connectors small enough to pull through the bars or do you have to disconnect the pins from the connectors to pull it through.

I'm changing to chubbys 518s, thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
hlpsg

I disconnect the pins from the connectors inside the headlight.
Seems to be the easiest way.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
DJ, one comment to add to what brust60 posted. Get a manual and read the part about removing the brake lever control. You will mess up the brake switch if you don't reassemble this correctly - i:e put a small spacer in the lever when reinstalling to the switch unit. Kinda confusing...better take a look to see what I mean.

·
Registered
103 Posts
brust60 said:
hlpsg

I disconnect the pins from the connectors inside the headlight.
Seems to be the easiest way.
Thanks for the reply. Bummer though, I last installed the kuryakyn turn signal mirrors, and could'nt get replacement deutsch connectors here, so I cut the main harness and crimped on new connectors (non-removable) for the signal/running lights. I don't think I can pull the connectors through the bars can I?

My mistake I should've listened to my wife and just cut the wires from the original signal wires and soldered them onto the new ones. I thought it better to keep them on at the time in case I could sell my passing lamp assembly.

Guess I'll have to cut the signal light wires and resolder an extension between them.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Pang:

Order Deutsch pins and sockets from Harley. All you then is a crimp tool and always reuse the same connectors. The pins and sockets are cheap.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Re: Road King bars

xrystl said:
:) The HD (part#55954) bars are probably what you need , taller with a lot more pullback , very comfortable and all cables and brake hose fit as per standard , cost about $50 .
xrystl:

Have you used or installed these bars?? A friend of mine is looking at them for a 2000 RK but HD 2003 P&A book only mentions higher and narrower not more pullback. 55935-98 brings bars 2" closer to the rider but also requires a clutch cable change along with throttle and idle cable(according to the book). He doesn't want to do that if he can help it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Keep in mind that this may be a good time to change to braided cables (if you like the idea). The clutch cable involves a bit more work i belive. I had my wiring routed inside the bars and chnaged to briaded cables all at the same time. Clearly costs more, but now is the time, if ever. good luck, greg

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the info so far. I tried measuring the existing bars to match them up with a part number in the catalog but nothing matches up with the book. I'm sure my measurements are off not knowing exactly where they end the rule on the bends. I am going to have the stealer look up the original part numbers and go from there. The best thing would be to ride it to the stealer and pull some bars from stock and compare but with the weather this is not an option yet. I was hoping for the "yup you need part #xxxxxx-xx" type of answer.

mtucci, I wonder if the bars your guy is referring to are the same ones mentioned by xrystl. I'll have to take a close look at those. Right now the bank is tellin me to stick with a $50 solution for now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: Re: Road King bars

Ed Y said:

xrystl:

Have you used or installed these bars?? A friend of mine is looking at them for a 2000 RK but HD 2003 P&A book only mentions higher and narrower not more pullback. 55935-98 brings bars 2" closer to the rider but also requires a clutch cable change along with throttle and idle cable(according to the book). He doesn't want to do that if he can help it.
Yes , I have them on my bike , part# 55954-00 . I will try and attatch a pic .

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an 02 RK and had same problem. i'm 5'8" and I wear 32" sleave shirts. I put the 55954-00 on as xrystal recommended and I'm very comfortable. $39.00 if you do it. no new wires or cables required. And you have great instructions from brust60.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.