V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a little shopping on the Harley website, comparing the side-by-side specs of the RKs and EGs. I didn't see a listing for the type of shocks on each bike. So, do the RKs and Street Glide all have the air-adjustable shocks and the Road Glide and EGs not have those shocks?

Does the air shock yield a better ride?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know the EG's have air adjustable rear shocks, and I'm pretty sure that Road Kings do too. As for "better"...that's a matter of preference, which can be influenced by riding style, your weight, whether you ride passengers, etc. Only you can decide after riding several different configurations at different pressure levels. Ride comfort will also depend on consistent proper tire inflation . I'm 6'2" and 255 lbs., and I ride solo with 22-25 pounds of pressure in the rear shocks of my '05 EGC. For another opinion, do a search on this site for "Progressive 440 shocks", and read away. Hope this helps.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Stock air shocks are OK. Do NOT get the lower air shocks unless you want your teeth knocked out. I did and my kidneys are still bleeding. I put the Progressive 440's on my EGC. I do have the bike lowered both front and rear. If you do not want to lower your bike but want the best ride possible, get the 440's in stock length. That would be 13 inches.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Electra Glides have the air shocks. The shorter the shock you go with, the rougher the ride.

Generally speaking, air shocks will provide a cushier ride than other model of Harleys. I say "generally" because different factors may make one bike more comfortable than one with air shocks.

My personal experience.........I've rode for over three decades and have rode everything from rigids to Ultra Classics and just about everything in between. The previous two bikes (both Ultra Classics) were by far, the most comfortable. Now I ride an 04 Screamin Eagle Electra Glide and it had the shorter air shocks in the rear that made the ride a little rougher than the Ultra Classics. I'm an aggressive rider by most peoples standards and so I always ran with them at 35 psi. By the way, I'm 6'4" at 220 lbs.

I switched to the Progressive 440 Heavy Duty shocks and a couple things happened. The shocks have a terrible "clunk" on the rebound or recoil when hitting a bump..........and also, I now have the rear end dance (some have referred to as "rear steer") that I never had with the air shocks. Because of those two factors, I'm ready to switch back to the stock air shocks. I realize that some people swear by the 440s but I just don't understand it.......I already have them and I'm still going to switch back to stock air shocks.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
That "clunk" is the IAS system activating. Without that the jolt would be transfered up to your butt. It took me a little while to get used to that. I guess I'm lucky, I don't have the "rear steer" as you do. Can you describe it for me? My scoot is rock steady. I have the lower shocks, 12" and standard springs. I also lowered the front end using Harley's springs and innards.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I replaced the stock air shocks of my Street Glide with Progressive 440 Heavy Duty 12.5" shocks. No "rear steer", no "clunk", no checking of air pressure, and a ride that is 200 percent better.

regards

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
JCZ said:
I switched to the Progressive 440 Heavy Duty shocks and a couple things happened. The shocks have a terrible "clunk" on the rebound or recoil when hitting a bump..........and also, I now have the rear end dance (some have referred to as "rear steer") that I never had with the air shocks. Because of those two factors, I'm ready to switch back to the stock air shocks. I realize that some people swear by the 440s but I just don't understand it.......I already have them and I'm still going to switch back to stock air shocks.

My experience exactly. I switched to 12 and 1/2 " 440IAS about a year ago.

Put the air shock back on last week. Neither is what I want, but the 440s were too rough for my wife (she has a neck injury and the pounding when we hit a bump or minor pot hole was way too severe.

I even took mine back to Progressive and had them checked out. They are nice people, but they said mine were fine.

I realize lots of people really like the 440s, I think it really depends on the rider and what he/she is looking for.

greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts