V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I hope someone can help me with a couple of road glide (2006) ???s. First off, can any tell me if what else there might be in new upgrades for the 2006 besides a new radio, charging system,reduced effort clutch? Dont mind if you correct me, but I thought I read somewhere about the forks getting a damper, the cam bearing or some bearing getting the timekin, a new primary chain tension neer, is timkin a sleeve bearing or roller bearing. Just bought today fltri deep cobalt blue,stock, security,7 year warrentee,21,500.00 out the door,thats gota be preety good for a winter sale even for a nu-bee like me. The dealers should have told me,yeah right. Where can I read for certain of the changes made from 2005 -2006 flrti. Any flrti owners out there, come back.

·
424 Posts
Welcome to the Road Glide Club!!!! They are Harley's best kept secret!!!! As far as what you have listed it is my understanding that the first three things are what is new for '06....I haven't heard or read anything about the other stuff. -2$en#e-

Agtain welcome to the RG Family!!!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. You listed the items I know of in the first 3 don't know about the others. I would give a shout to your service manager at the dealership you plan to use for service and see what he says about those other items. He may have access to some written materials on the two model years that would detail differences that are not apparent. Other than that, just ride and enjoy. You made a good choice of scooter there.

·
ALK
321 Posts
angelflights,

don't have any useful advice the others haven't already passed.

congrats on choosing the Road Glide. The more you ride it the more you'll like it.

picked mine up in may 04 and haven't looked back.

Wishing you many safe and exhilarating miles, and many smiles.

:clap:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also a 2006 Deep Cobalt owner. Welcome to the club. Sold my Ultra account Wife rides a 05 Deluxe. The bike sure handles like a dream.

They also went back to standard spring setup in front forks. Removed cartridge from left fork. Also added plastic wire tracks from battery box to front of tank. Should help with wire shorting issues.

Need to throw the stock windshield away and purchase a shield from Clearview the best investment I have made.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm cobalt blue

Thank you gents for the mighty nice welcome. hdbrad thanks for the tip on the clearview windshield, I just might look into it after a ride or two. I wonder if they come tinted..Why did you like it? Road Glider, great pics and excelent web site, Ill be checking out those links too, me being a native Lone Star State Texican. RG if you run into any of my kin out there, dont say I didnt warn you...:sofa: I did here from Santa Cruz HD that the chain tesioner was upgraded this year and fork damper is standard on all baggers. Have a great new year bros..?prty:

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yumm road glide engine

Hello LAF, dang that sure sounds like a hella great build you got there son. I dont mean to butter your toast, but dang..:thumbsup: Ill be needing to do a lotta work on the side down the road for a build, Im thinking a mild one when the time comes ,.for now just looking forward to some smile to my style in commuting to work..:D Yeah man feels nice being spoiled. Thank you..

·
Registered
287 Posts
I went from a 01 fat boy to 03 Road Glide to 05 Road Glide and wouldn't have any other than a RG. I use the soft vinyle snap on lowers in cold weather which act as foot/leg warmers. No rear passanger? Use a sissy bar and grip rails for luggage storeage. The stock wind shield works out about right for me. I had the medium and extra tall for my 03 but would not bother with them for the 05.
I never asked, but the other touring models come with catalitic (spell) mufflers and you probably have them on the RG also. Hang on to those if you swap out for something less restricted. EPA may require putting them back on for an emission test down the road.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
angleflights said:
Thank you gents for the mighty nice welcome. hdbrad thanks for the tip on the clearview windshield, I just might look into it after a ride or two. I wonder if they come tinted..Why did you like it? :
I got a clearview shield (www.clearviewshields.com) also for mine, mostly to lower the shield so I can see over it as opposed to thru it. I got the shorter one they offer (I think 1 or 2 inches shorter). I am 6 foot and this height works good for me, I like to see over and not thru a shield. They do offer a slight tint and I went for that. Do not have any pics up on my page with that shield on yet but will post some soon.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
angleflights said:
Hello LAF, dang that sure sounds like a hella great build you got there son. I dont mean to butter your toast, but dang..:thumbsup: Ill be needing to do a lotta work on the side down the road for a build, Im thinking a mild one when the time comes ,.for now just looking forward to some smile to my style in commuting to work..:D Yeah man feels nice being spoiled. Thank you..
Yes it is a build but does have its associated problems.

Spend some time on it stock or with the stage one, Aif Cleaner, Slip Ons and a Power Commander or Sert or any fuel control device you or someone in your area can tune and support. I got 70/80 on just those mods on the RG.

I also use a Clear View Short on mine, tinted, and if you do a search I posted pics of it.

What I am saying is don't get caught up in a bunch of mods until you discover your riding needs and wants.

On a Road Glide they are very few past the Stage 1 I mentioned that you must have. The rest is lust and pocket book dependent.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Road Glide newbie

Hello all,
I am also only aware of the first few items that you mentioned that are new for 06...
I traded in an FXDX for an 06 RG. I got the red pearl color, which looks a little like a metallic tomato paste color. I actually love the color. I initially went to my dealer to buy a SE Fatboy, but when I saw the red pearl RG, I said, "this is it." I love the white gauges, the stereo and the big fairing.
I'm looking forward to riding it. Never rode a bagger before.
I'm having the 95 cu in upgrade installed w/ a V-H Pro pipe HS...
Does anyone else run a 2-1 with their bagger and are you happy w/the performance? I thought I'd add the stage 2 b/c I'm used to having performance from my FXDX and Fatboy, all w/ 2-1 exhausts...
Have any of you RG owners added any accessories that you are happy with, that you would recommend?
Have any of you experienced the dreaded loose windshield screws/nuts that was mentioned in the latest "Rider" magazine?
What issues do any of you have with the RG?
Does the stereo produce enough quality sound for listening enjoyment?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Happy New Year, all

BB

·
Registered
65 Posts
Road Glide newbie

Hello all,
I am also only aware of the first few items that you mentioned that are new for 06...
I traded in an FXDX for an 06 RG. I got the red pearl color, which looks a little like a metallic tomato paste color. I actually love the color. I initially went to my dealer to buy a SE Fatboy, but when I saw the red pearl RG, I said, "this is it." I love the white gauges, the stereo and the big fairing.
I'm looking forward to riding it. Never rode a bagger before.
I'm having the 95 cu in upgrade installed w/ a V-H Pro pipe HS...
Does anyone else run a 2-1 with their bagger and are you happy w/the performance? I thought I'd add the stage 2 b/c I'm used to having performance from my FXDX and Fatboy, all w/ 2-1 exhausts...
Have any of you RG owners added any accessories that you are happy with, that you would recommend?
Have any of you experienced the dreaded loose windshield screws/nuts that was mentioned in the latest "Rider" magazine?
What issues do any of you have with the RG?
Does the stereo produce enough quality sound for listening enjoyment?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Happy New Year, all

BB

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
BennieB said:
I traded in an FXDX for an 06 RG. I got the red pearl color. . . I'm having the 95 cu in upgrade installed w/ a V-H Pro pipe HS...
Does anyone else run a 2-1 with their bagger and are you happy w/the performance? . . . Have any of you experienced the dreaded loose windshield screws/nuts that was mentioned in the latest "Rider" magazine?
. . . . Does the stereo produce enough quality sound for listening enjoyment?
Hey congrats on the new RG. Cool color my dealer has one of those on the floor right now and I was admiring it the other day.

I had the V&H propipe on my prior RG, link to pics of it on the bike just follow link below and navagate to album on prior '02 RG. I liked the look and the power it made on that bike. That pipe is a little loud but not too bad I went with a little quieter set up on my current RG.

No problems with the windshield nuts except sometimes dropping them inside the fairing if not careful. I would just pick up 3 or so extras from your dealer next time you are there to keep handy if one of them messes up or you loose it.

New stereo is very nice and puts out real good volume and sound quality, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by it. I put the XM and CB add ons I suggest you at least do the XM since it is awsome on the bike, you never run out of good tunes or have problems with loosing a station.

Enjoy that ride and post up some pics so we can check it out after you pick her up.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BennieB, from one newbie to another, way to go boy:welcome: :clap: by the way I dig that color man. Smashing:yes: I heard we own sport touring bikes per HD,and they have sticki tires to grab the road the twisties better, like the track bike racers do. Slang terms: touring, baggers:corn: Been commuting 90 rd. trip to work, freewway on a bagger RK classic, 2005 since may 9000 mi. I think they call all the big bikes, like ours, the cadilac of bikes. You can forget about getting pushed around by the winds, was'nt on my king cl. Thats what I was after. the RG owners Ive talked to, whom ride them, say the handleing is unmatched and they dont call them wind splitting fairing for nothing, Best selling bike Ive heard tell. No recalls to date. Gotta Love it, salute. {salute(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks guys, you guys rock~!Awesome!

Look forward to finally getting my hands on it too.

Peace brothers,

BB

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Welcome new Glide riders

Agree with all the things said before but wanted to extend my welcome to the new Road Gliders on the forum. ?prty:

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Here are some pics showing the clearview shield on my bike. I got the shorter version they offer but tinted.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
angleflights said:
........ and fork damper is standard on all baggers. Have a great new year bros..?prty:
Starting in 06, the touring bikes have regular damper rod forks, no more cartridge damping on one fork.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Road Glider,

Nice photo gallery... I also enjoyed your Porsche site. I'm also a Porsche guy! I own a 2004 Carrera 40 Year Anny edition. I have #563/1964...

Looking forward to the V-H 2-1 pipe. It looks good on your old RG.
Happy New Year, Mate!

Regards,

BB

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.