V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, considering going from EGlide to Road Glide, and I have a question about WS height.

Right now I have a Clear View 9 1/2" recurve shield, and was wondering what folks that have owned both find a good height for a Shield.

Any input is welcome. I am 5'11" if that helps. Anyone with some useful info post away, hell, any info! guess I'll decide what's useful.:hystria:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
The height of a wind shield on any other touring bike when compared to a RG or RGU is meaning less. While the frames are the same the fairing is so much different to must look at the RG and RGU with out even considering the height on any other.
I own a RGU and have owned a RG.
This I know for a fact.
The RG needs a real windshield if you ride it not a short cooling one. The stock RGU and the stock windshield on the 07 RG was about 16-17 inches it works well depending on how you sit in the seat.
A windshield the same as on the RGU should be ok for you height.
All those fancy recurved magic windshields are for the most part fluff IMO.
But what do I know only put about 100K on RG's

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rode a stock RG Ultra for about 35 miles as a test ride, and thought the stock shield was great. That's part of the reason I asked what the height was.

I'm really leading towards just buying a stock one for an Ultra, and just putting that on.

I just joined roadglide.org, and I'm betting if I'm patient I can snatch up a brand new take off at a good price!

·
Super Moderator
20,905 Posts
Go tall (19+) if you want out to be out of the wind. Be sure to put the mid frame deflectors on too.

I have a tall one to break the wind and catch bugs before they kamikaze me in the face. But if it's really hot and I'm cruising in town, I'll switch to the short visor. Only takes a couple of minutes to switch.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the WindVest 15" smoke and it works great!! Also get the new plastic flaps that hook to the engine guard infront of the fuel tank. I had a fly buzz around for a bit right in front of my helmet and eventually got far enough to the left side that wind took it away. I have no buffeting at all with this windshield and fairing!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
178 Posts
How tall?

I have the WindVest 15" smoke and it works great!! Also get the new plastic flaps that hook to the engine guard infront of the fuel tank. I had a fly buzz around for a bit right in front of my helmet and eventually got far enough to the left side that wind took it away. I have no buffeting at all with this windshield and fairing!!
How tall are you Petew? I'm 6' and wear 34" inseam jeans----looking to see how the 15" might work for me.
Also, any issues with the smoke screen at night? I realize you look over it for the most part, but probably need to see through it now and then.

Thanks
Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts