V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11' CVO Road Glide - Currently using a 8" Klock Werks and need more protection. What brand /height do you like for your glide?

I was looking at Clearview then seen a note saying the GPS mount may have to be modified for bikes that have OEM GPS mounts installed - Anyone have a 11', using the GPS with a Clearview?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the WindVest 12" light smoke. It isn't big or ugly, it has great air control, I get no wind/weather to speak of behind it and I love the look even!!!!

Attachments

·
Banned
589 Posts
I just opted for the 10" tinted WindSplitter (H-D). I haven't ridden w/ it yet, but it provides more back swept coverage for the rider than the stock shield on the SG. The tucks on the side are supposed to cut buffering, improve sound off the front speakers.

The WindSplitter is wider than the stock shield, extends out maybe 4" beyond the fairing slot and along the "pods" where the mirrors are mounted. It sweeps back, which won't allow mounting of some GPS units, or the tri-pocket windshield pouches.

The "tinted" in 10" is pretty damned light. (I actually returned it, thinking it wasn't tinted.)

Mostly I'm hearing some rave reviews on this option. I'm getting buffering w/ the flat 7" that I have on the bike -- at about 60 mph, and I can't hear the stereo.

Here's the model for the RG -- looks like even more "wrap"

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am 6'7" and started off trying the HD 12" windshield and it was horrible for me like riding with no windshield, but liked the smoke color of it. I returned for the 15" it is a little bit better, on the 15" i can hear the radio a lot better. But being tall still have some wind issues.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
10in. Windvest, a lot better than stock, although a 12in. would have been perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Just put the stock RGU windshield on it or Slipstreams version of the stock one and it works just fine at a low cost.
All those fancy name ones that set lower are a lot of hype.
Shorter riders may get away with them but a TG that is ridden needs a real windshield on it

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Starting to think the same thing. Having a custom, I had the 6" one, that is a waste. Bought the HD windsplitter, I was too tall for that. Got another shield now, from a company Called Clarks Custom WS, and it seems a lot better. It's 12", but it seems to be the best of the three. Been too cold and windy to judge.

If this doesn't work for me, it's gonna be a stock RGU one coming for me. I rode an Ultra for a test ride, and it worked great. Not as good looking as some of fancy ones, but I'm done spending money on the curved ones. Some of those are just rediculous in price, and if the one I have doesn't work, I'm throwing in the towell. I can see over the stock RGU, and it still gave me great wind protection.

In the end, that is what it's all about in a WS. Should have just done that to start with.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Here is the newest one, I'll let you know as soon as I get a decent day. I think part of the issue for me may be that I'm a new RG owner.

I may reserve judgement until I get my lowers in, since I know wind flow on a RG is different than my EG.

·
Registered
84 Posts
'05 FLTR, I have the Clearview +1 with med tint, and the vent. I bought it from their "blem" page.
previous shields, I had, and din't care for
OEM, Cee Bailey, std size, and a Cee Bailey 7'
The 7" looked great, but was worthless (for me)

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
'05 FLTR, I have the Clearview +1 with med tint, and the vent. I bought it from their "blem" page.
previous shields, I had, and din't care for
OEM, Cee Bailey, std size, and a Cee Bailey 7'
The 7" looked great, but was worthless (for me)
Having recently bought an FLTRX the windshield was the first thing to change. I went with a Memphis Shades 14" gradient. I'm 5'08" and with the 14" shield I can see over it but it sends the air just over my helmet. Still get a little wind, but no buffeting. The next size they have is I think 17". Advantage? Not high priced and good quality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2012 RG was highly disappointed with the stock wind shield. Bought the tinted 12" Klock Werks and I'm extremely happy with it. Got it off eBay for a great price!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Some RoadGlide and RGU owners find these work well with the windshield. Some riders because of the the way they sit feel buffeting from the air flow
FLTR Wind Deflector Kit PN 57000063 list price 29.95.
Cheap and work well for many

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here is the newest one, I'll let you know as soon as I get a decent day. I think part of the issue for me may be that I'm a new RG owner.

I may reserve judgement until I get my lowers in, since I know wind flow on a RG is different than my EG.

My experience is the lowers on a Road Glide make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
This is the deflector for those of you new to RG and RGU they work well for many. Low cost quick and easy to install.
As I stated before how you sit on a RG has a lot to do with how wind effects you . I said it before a RG needs a real windshield.
FLTR Wind Deflector Kit PN 57000063 list price 29.95

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the 8" dark smoke 'WindVest' on my 2007 RoadGlide. I'm 6'1" and it works very well for me. I bought a set of those HD wind deflectors-always looking to make a good bike better. They made no noticable/detectable difference to me. I knew they worked better on the newer FLTR's but were worth the try. At least they were cheap.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
My experience is the lowers on a Road Glide make a big difference.

Everybody says that, so I'm not messing with any more WS's or doing anything else until they come in.

They might be something I keep on all the time with this bike. I took them off on the Ultra Classic in the summer.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I've got 2 that I swap between. Both are clearview shields. I like the wind in my face when the weather is nice, but during the colder months I like stock height shields. I found that with my height (6') the 1" shorter than stock with recurve works better than the stock shield with keeping the wind out of my face. The summer shield don't do sh!t for blocking wind.

Summer shield is GT Sport (7")

Winter shield is a tinted Clearview GT Small (11 1/2")

1 - 17 of 17 Posts