V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to order the new bike and I'm looking for input on The Road Glide versus The Electra Glide Classic. Thanks Dave

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you like to scrape foot boards I'd go with the RG, if you're a straight up kinda rider the Classic or Ultra will do it for ya.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Right Boomer! Is that why your Ultra's floorboards are half eaten away by pavement? LOL

Boomer is proof that there aren't many limits to really RIDING an Ultra through the corners.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Welcome to the forum Stroker.......

·
Registered
276 Posts
Can't compare the two but I can say I was very surprised with the handling of my RG. Not my Duc but much better than my wideglide. Also noticed on a recent trip that folks were complaining about crosswind when I hardly noticed it. Frame mounted fairing makes the diff I guess.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Three ultra's and I presently own a road glide, I choose a road glide. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. I also like to scrape floorboards, I have to warn people they are very sharp.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I not sure, but I believe the Road Glide has frame mounted fairing vs fork(?) mounted fairing on the other touring models. My Road King has a tendency to get a little loose in the front at higher speeds (this is a well documented issue having to do with the rake of the steering and the suspension mounting, I believe). I've been told Road Glides are better due to the frame mounting. Don't know if this helps, but would also be curious as to other views.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The Glide is much quicker handling and more stable in crosswinds.

The Classic has better weather protection and storage.

It's personal preference, the position on the bike is different, on the Classic you feel like you are driving a stock car with the fairing in your face, on the Glide you feel like you are driving a european sports car with the fairing way out in front.

Obviously you could remove the tour pack from the Classic and add one to the Glide but anything you have to buy to alter the bike is outrageously expensive.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The most important thing of all is that you can still get a Classic with a carburetor, probably not for long.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Dave, in the December issue of Motorcycle Cruiser, there is a full test on a new Electric Glide. They also make a lot of comparison remarks to a Road Glide they tested a few months ago. You might find it helpful.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I went down to the Harley Dealer and put a deposit on 03 Gunmetal Road Glide ... Now the goodie catolog, looks like a 1550 kit , Vance & Hines 2 - 1 , tour pak, and some chrome. Any other suggestions ? PS by the way the FI is no big deal to me I'm a HD truck mech. and used to dealing with elec. engine controls. In fact I got into the electronics early because I could see that my back never hurt from working on electronics.:D ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have an 01 fltrsei and love it. To me the 1550 was not enough getting the Stage III etc.. Might look at the 15 inch windshield think the stock one is to short for the cold days. If you going to get the CD player get the one in the radio. Im on my 6th player that goes in the tour pack. Best music is the motor.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Got an 03 flhtc cause I could still get it with a carb. my preference. any possibility the Roadglides might have the carb option in 04 or 05? or once they're discontinued that's it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see this thread came back from the dead. I picked up my Roadglide on Jan 24th. got a Black one because someone else canceled, didn't want to wait for 4th phase (April or May). Now if I can get this damn remodel done on the house I bought I might be able tp get some miles on her. I posted a pic that my buddy took but it was to large and the bandwidth police were harassing me and I couldn't resize it so I deleted it.:eek:

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Nobody was harrasing you. I have talked to Dave on this subject and the bandwidth is very expensive so being the unshy guy that I am I speak up. I/we want to see the pictures, and in the huge picture thread a few people posted free editing software links. If someone is having a problem I would bet there are some that may even help with resizing if you ask. I would just hate for this place to be gone because it got too expensive to operate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Stroker Dave said:
... Now the goodie catolog, looks like a 1550 kit , Vance & Hines 2 - 1 , tour pak, and some chrome. Any other suggestions ? ...
Just a suggestion, but you have a couple of choices here.. Either a PC IIIr, S/E Tuner, or One of the other ECM Cheaters... The 1550 BB that you are planning on will be flashed by the Stealer, but once you put on the 2-1 Vance-Hines Pipe, it is gonna throw the Fuel and Ignition Curve out... It isn't flashed for that... You are gonna need to get something to compensate that modification... Personally, and I think the Hippo will agree on this, is to go with the SE Tuner... It will allow for more flexibility and any future mods that you are going to do... Plus, if you get rid of the bike in a few years, you sell it with the bike, as it is "Mapped and Coded" to the ECM on the bike...

·
Registered
779 Posts
The Classic has better weather protection and storage.
Now the goodie catolog, looks like a 1550 kit , Vance & Hines 2 - 1 , tour pak, and some chrome.
IMHO great choice! Also, I would recomend the "dockable" quick detach system for the tour pack. I have it and can change from nothing (stock look) to zip around town, to a backrest for short rides with my gal, backrest with parcel rack, chopped tour pack for over nighters, or if I'm goin for distance, I put on the full tour pack.

Great thing is you can swap it all in a couple of minutes without tools!

The Road Glide with the full tour pack will actually have more room than an Electra due to the two small compartments on the fairing.

Add fairing lowers and the tall windshield and you'll be set for any weather...

As far as handeling goes.... I went on a ride last spring with 2 of my buds. One on an Electra Glide Standard, the other on a Road King. Went through a 5 mile twisty section. Long story short; I had to stop and wait for them to catch up:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya Dan ! I was draggen footboards the other day, She handles like a dream ,rock solid and steady to 100 mph ;) :D :cool: . I'm happy with my Glide.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts