V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

Has anyone out there gone through with what I'm currently going through, upgrading my ('01) Road Glide sound system to be more like an Ultra Classic sound system?

When I got my Glide in '01, I also purchased the "Road Glide Ultra Style Accessory Conversion Kit", which APPEARED to have everything I needed to get my Road Glide up to an Ultra Classic, in terms of Tour Pack, rear speakers, cb radio, etc.

Well, I soon found out that first of all, the Tour Pack itself is NOT included in this nearly $1600 accessory kit. Yikes!
Of course it wouldn't be. The Tour Pack has to be custom-painted for each color bike.
And then, while the fairing lower INSERTS are included, of course the fairing lowers are NOT. They are also custom-painted items.
Okay, so I'll get the tour pack later. And I don't know if I'll ever get the fairing lowers. So, I have some extra fairing lower inserts. No biggie.
Did I mention that a cruise control module was also included in this seemingly over-priced kit? Well, it was, and since my bike already had cruise control factory installed, I really had no use for it. So, I sold it on ebay.

Now, a few weeks ago, I finally got around to getting the Tour Pack. Received it the other day. I proceeded to install it, which was not too difficult.
Of course I also installed the rear speakers and the cb radio panel (that came with the kit).
I somehow thought that the rear speakers would work, but I knew that the cb radio would not, as my stock radio had not yet been sent in for the c/b radio upgrade.
Boy, was I wrong.
Turns out that in order for the rear speakers to work, that's part of the c/b radio upgrade, for which I have to remove the radio and take it to the dealer, so he can send it in and for about $190, it will be upgraded.

NOW... to the good part...

In the most recent H-D part catalog, I just noticed that with the listing for the "ULTRA SPEAKERS FOR ROAD GLIDE MODELS", it not only mentions the need for the c/b radio upgrade, but ALSO: "Requires separate purchase of Overlay Harness P/N 70160-98A ('98-'01 models) or P/N 70160-02 ('02-later models)."

I can't find either of those part numbers on the H-D website, in the parts category, searching by the part number, but doing a search on my favorite dealers' website for those part numbers revealed the fact that I'm in for yet ANOTHER big charge to get those rear speakers working! To the tune of $266!! Unbelieveable! For a wiring harness!

And, there is absolutely NO mention of this "Overlay Harness" in the 2001 or 2002 parts catalogs with the listing for the same speakers. Nor is there any mention of it on the H-D website listing of those speakers.

Anyone happen to know WHAT this magical $266 wiring harness IS???

And whether or not it's REALLY necessary to make my rear speakers work??

Any light you can shed on the subject would be GREATLY appreciated!

Happy trails!

Ken Newman
[email protected]
Irvine, CA
2001 Road Glide

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't need the harness after all

Well, it turns out that I didn't need the harness after all.
Since I procrastinated, and only had a couple of weeks before the trip on which I wanted to use the modified radio, I sent the radio directly to Radio Sound, instead of taking it to the dealer for them to send it to Radio Sound.
I got it back in less than a week, and it works great!
I replaced my stock speakers with JBL GTO525's, but that didn't help much. It still sounds pretty much like crap.
But at least now I have the CB, and the rear speakers work, too... :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.