V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a 11' Road Glide but am vertically challenged (5' 5"). Read a review that low speed maneuvering was difficult on a glide due to a high center of gravity. I am coming off an ultra. Those of you who have a road glide, thoughts/recommendations? Is this bike more difficult than a ultra classic to handle at low speeds?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have owned a 2011 Road Glide Ultra for about one month now. First experience with a tour style bike ever. Last ride was a Big Dog Mastiff that weighed in at 750 pounds or so. But had a very low center of gravity so felt lighter. I'm 5' 9" and I can put both feet flat on the ground but just barely. The Road Glide is seriously heavier in fact and by the way it feels but really not that impossible to handle. Even at slow , parking lot speeds it's not difficult to control, you just need to pay attention. However it's a handfull if you are trying to walk it around not under power because it does feel top heavy . On the road the opposite is true. Remarkably nimble and a very balanced feel. I have never been on an Electra Glide but it can't be much different at low speeds because they weigh about the same. In fact with the fairing weight on the frame the Road Glide ought to feel lighter at slow speeds. My experience is that it took just a short time to get comfortable with the high center of gravity and the reward has been well worth it. I never knew riding could be so enjoyable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you are coming off an Ultra you will not have ANY problems with a RG. It has exactly the same frame as the Ultra. Everything is the same except you'll have a lot less weight on the front forks (frame mounted fairing) so slow speed handling is way easier. Have fun, I went from a RK to a RG and the only difference is now I have a radio.

Mark

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
The time to worry is after you have several hundred miles on it. You are starting to relax and not pay attention quite as much as you should. You roll up to the proverbial stop sign expecting to not quite stop but here comes soccer mom so you wisely decide to give her a wide berth by stopping, all the while keeping one eye on her and one in your mirror. Next thing you know you inadvertently stop with one wheel on a slight bump and your feet desperately trying to find solid ground. That is when a touring bike gets real heavy, real fast.
The direct answer to your question is no, the RG is no worse than the Ultra. Find a seat that not only is lower but narrower, and perhaps lower shocks, either the Progressive 940's or 12" 440's or even (gasp) the HD lowering shocks. If that is not enough lower the front end.
At any speed above 3 MPH you will enjoy the hell out of the RG.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Low speed handling is not a problem if you practice.
I have practiced the steps from Ride Like a Pro and they do work.There is no need to place your feet down unless your going to stop.

I road a Road Glide for 4 years and now have a Limited.
After getting use to the limited,not much difference now.

Now if you have to tip toe while sitting on a bike,it would be a good idea to lower it.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
The only difference between a Road Glide and an Ultra is the way the fairing is mounted. Some say the RG handles better due to the frame mounted fairing. I've ridden both types for long distances and can tell very little difference. Bottom line, if you've been riding a stock Ultra then you'll have no problem with the RG.

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
As for the difference between the Ultra Electra Glide and Ultra Road Glide, I have had both. The Tour Pak make the center of Gravity higher on both. I have the detachable Tour Pak.
For round town, I take it off. I put the Tour Pak back on for long trips..

With the Tour Pak off on both, it does make a noticeable difference in handling.
The Handlebar Fairing seems to hamper the forks. Both anytime at low speed and and High speed with winds.
The Frame Mounted Fairing makes the forks lighter and movement at low speed is easier. At high speed, the difference is when you get winds.

But both ways, just use a Detachable Tour Pak and you will see much improvement in the center of gravity.

Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
You shouldn't have any problem with the RG, they are the same bike with the exception of the fairing and for whatever reason the RG is slightly heavier.
I still don't understand why folks say the forks are lighter because the fairing is attached to the frame, sooo the weight of the fairing is transferred to the rear wheel????? Come on folks the weight is STILL on the front forks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It is lighter for more reason than just where the fairing attaches. If u look at the lay out of the triple trees, the pivot point is in front of the forks, EVERY other harley has the forks in front of the pivot point....

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I am 5'8" and just bought an RG - prior to that I had a Street Bob. The RG definitely is heavier, but I am now used to it. I made a seat change to lower my self, so my feet almost are flat which helped. Will probably try to lower the seat even more, but for right now I can maneuver the bike pretty well - backing up out of the garage is fine for me. As others have mentioned, once underway, the extra weight disappears. It's a great ride IMO.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hey Pete, you are right on, all the touring models have the same configuration on the triple trees and forks. I was referring to the post Mark made saying there is less weight on the front forks on a RG because of the frame mounted fairing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts