V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting another bike. It will be a pearl yellow Road Glide. I have a line on a 2005 with 7500 miles, 95" kit SE high comp cast and 211 cams with SERT and Rienhardt true dual. Guy says it runs strong. He wants $18500 for it but I think he will take $18000. I could get an older bike like the 2002 and older with the timken bearings but really like the way the newer bikes have the fairing tilted. I also do not want a high mileage bike (less than 10,000 miles)My other choice is a new bike. I like the stereo on the new ones but am a little apprehensive over the emissions stuff and engine modifications. I have a 103 hp 108 tq 95" 2003 FXDWG so any bike of mine will need engine work but I'm a little concerned how that will work with the new goverment emission mandates. Can any of you summarize the pros and cons and suggest solutions? Money is really not a big issue within reason. Thanks...............Ward

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
To me, it sounds like the price is right on the bike you mentioned. I'd go for it, low miles, 95", for ~18k, I'd buy. I certainly wouldn't let the audio systems on the '06s sway me at all, I am not impressed with that system at all. I could get more detailed, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. Mine's a '00 model, so no tilted fairing, which I really like, but the price was right on mine, so I jumped on it. Not to mention the EPA crap for '06, I don't know how much truth there is to it, but everyone really tried to keep me from buying new. Just my .02

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Man for the price you say you can get that '05 I would jump on it. I have way north of $34K in my '06. Heck you could buy that '05 RG and get another bar hopper bike for the amount I have in mine. I had a 95" motor with the 211 cams in my prior '02 RG and the motor was a good running set up. I had the HD SE HTCC heads and all on that bike. As far as the worry about the epa stuff i would not let that deter you from an '06 but it is all at a higher $ price tag. The new stereo on the '06 is really great but hey with that price savings you could get the new stereo and put it in the '05. If it was me I would jump on the '05 assuming it has been well cared for not dropped and you get the motor checked out by a good wrench.

ps take a look at my photo gallery for pics of my RG in Pearl Yellow.

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
RGer,

Yes it is a great deal for the '05 and the Yellow is a must have :brows: Did you have any ping issues and hot restart issues when you were running the 211 cam? Did you ever dyno it? What pistons were you running? Did you have headwork too? I can buy a 2006 for $18,000 new give or take but still no engine work to it. I do my own wrenching and we have a very reasonable machinist locally that does porting too. I can do a 95" kit for around $1500-$2000 with gear drive cams. That puts me at $20000 and I have to get my hands dirty. I will be adding the tour pack right away. Your bike is beautiful and as you can see by my avetar I have a thing for Yellow bikes. I will be keeping the WG for bar running and general tom foolery!...........Ward

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
bigblock455 said:
RGer,

Yes it is a great deal for the '05 and the Yellow is a must have :brows: Did you have any ping issues and hot restart issues when you were running the 211 cam? Did you ever dyno it? What pistons were you running? Did you have headwork too? I can buy a 2006 for $18,000 new give or take but still no engine work to it. I do my own wrenching and we have a very reasonable machinist locally that does porting too. I can do a 95" kit for around $1500-$2000 with gear drive cams. That puts me at $20000 and I have to get my hands dirty. I will be adding the tour pack right away. Your bike is beautiful and as you can see by my avetar I have a thing for Yellow bikes. I will be keeping the WG for bar running and general tom foolery!...........Ward
Yellow is in man. Word is it is faster than black. Partial parts list on the '02 RG bike had 95" Big Bore Kit P/N 16546-99 Screamin' Eagle Ported HTCC Heads P/N 16925-02A Screamin' Eagle Intake Manifold P/N 29635-99 Screamin' Eagle HTCC Pistons P/N 22439-00A Screamin' Eagle perfect fit pushrods P/N 18402-03 SE-211 cams P/N 25152-00 Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner P/N 32107-01B Vance & Hines Propipe HS Arlen Ness Big Sucker airfilter Plus lots of CHROME. You can see pics of it in the photo album link below in my sig just navagate from there to the prior RG album. Had no pinging problems. That cam makes it's power up in the revs and some folks don't like that especially on a bagger but to me it was fun. When it was on cam it pulled hard. If you can do your wrenching buy new and do it all yourself but if that '05 has lots of chrome $ on it mabye go for that one. Sounds like even if you got the '05 you would tear into the motor anyway and make some changes. Nice WG you got there too. Cool you can keep them both, you are a lucky fellow.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I went through the same thing last spring.

I actually like the 98-03 fairing angle and paint schemes better, but that's just personal choice. Only other consideration, in the appearance department, is after 03, you can't get a black motor.

I found a silver & black Road Glide with tour pack and 3500 totally stock miles for $16,000 and jumped on it.

Stage II BB, S/E heads, Rineharts and a S/E six speed later, I'm very pleased...

Good Luck in your search!
Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts