V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 RG doesn't have a grease fitting on the steering neck. Never found one on my 03 either. I'll bet the neck is drilled for one under the fairing bracket. Anyone remove the fairing bracket from a RG?

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
shoveler said:
My 05 RG doesn't have a grease fitting on the steering neck. Never found one on my 03 either. I'll bet the neck is drilled for one under the fairing bracket. Anyone remove the fairing bracket from a RG?
It is there on the Left (shifter) side. At least that is where mine is. Just a pain to see, and more of a pain to attach a grease hose to it!!!!!!!!!

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Ninety degree zirt from Lowe's - $1.84. Installed it yesterday in 2 minutes!

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
I did the same thing this week end. 90 degree makes it a lot easier to get a grease gun on. I would have paid them an extra 2 bucks for the damn bike if they had done it at the factory!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LAF said:
It is there on the Left (shifter) side. At least that is where mine is. Just a pain to see, and more of a pain to attach a grease hose to it!!!!!!!!!
Well I see you have a road glide so mine must be there. I will look again, but I used a trouble light on left side and didn't see it. Course my old eyes aren't what they used to be.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
shoveler said:
Well I see you have a road glide so mine must be there. I will look again, but I used a trouble light on left side and didn't see it. Course my old eyes aren't what they used to be.
I understand the eye sight thing. If your dealer did not do this on setup be prepared to use at least a tube of grease. I also used a a 90* on mine to make it easier, but only after I fought with it for a while.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can also buy a special fitting for your grease gun that will slide onto the grease fitting from the side.

But the 90 degree grease fitting makes more sense. Why didn't I think of that, always doing things the hard way.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Rocker said:
I did the same thing this week end. 90 degree makes it a lot easier to get a grease gun on. I would have paid them an extra 2 bucks for the damn bike if they had done it at the factory!

I'm just glad they put one in the baggers - I had to drill and tap my FXR, then put one in.

·
Registered
792 Posts
the service manual says it's there, but damed if I could find it; 05 RG also. I'll have to break out the flashlight and look again...
...I `spose it's unlikely that anyone has a picture...?

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
I have to admit I have neglected greasing my steering head bearing. I put a 90 degree fitting on and I must have pumped the handle about 50 times and still don't see grease coming out of the lower stem. Do I just keep pumping?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Rocker,

Yes, keep pumping. Eventually, greese will come out from the upper and lower bearings - and yes - it is a mess to clean up.

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
Snobal said:
Rocker,

Yes, keep pumping. Eventually, greese will come out from the upper and lower bearings - and yes - it is a mess to clean up.
Thanks for the reply, back to the garage I go.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Bountyhunter....nice fender
where to get one????
Thanks.........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Roadglide Head Bearing Grease Zerk Location Found

I have attached a couple self taken cell-phone pics.
HD Manual is not even close on the Roadglide's zerk location, and from the position of mine, there is no way anyone ever serviced this, as it is partially hidden by the frame bracket and axially misaligned so one could not get a grease gun over the zerk.
To access, I had to turn my handlebars fully to the left (not right as in manual), then crawl under the fairing and look at the bottom end of the head tube on frame about 45 degrees to the left side of bikes front & center position.
I will change out to a 45 degree fitting today and fill the head tube. Re-pics attached- first is a wide view of the position to start from, and the second is a zoomed view fro the same angle showing the zerk close-up.
Great posts and thanks guys!!!
Burky

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have attached a couple self taken cell-phone pics.
HD Manual is not even close on the Roadglide's zerk location
I will change out to a 45 degree fitting today and fill the head tube.
Burky
A 90 degree grease gun fitting from auto parts store works great!
I bought a 45 degree fitting but was worried about cross treading if I attempted to install it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would be carefull how many times I pump it. I had grease seeping out for 2 years after I pumped mine until grease came out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts