V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride today with a friend who rides a 07 RG, I have a 07 SG. All went well until we needed to stop for gas. The fuel door to his RG would not open, key just would not turn. Tried putting some pressure on the door while he turned the key, nothing. Luck however was on our side and we made it home. The service manual is no help. Replacing the lock looks like a 2 minuet job, aside from forcing the door open any thoughts.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I also replaced mine w/ a push button, yet I can lock it too. Yep, about a 2 minute job.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Did the same thing. Got the one with the push button lock. Keep it unlocked most of the time but lock it to keep honest people honest.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Same here. Forgot my key last night when I left for work but luckily, I changed to the push button lock about 2-3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
729 Posts
joetat said:
Went for a ride today with a friend who rides a 07 RG, I have a 07 SG. All went well until we needed to stop for gas. The fuel door to his RG would not open, key just would not turn. Tried putting some pressure on the door while he turned the key, nothing. Luck however was on our side and we made it home. The service manual is no help. Replacing the lock looks like a 2 minuet job, aside from forcing the door open any thoughts.
If I read this right, you are asking for help opening it. I venture that a paper clip and some skill would be needed to trip the latch under the door.

Let us know how you all got it open.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
This is under warranty, I'd take it to the dealer. Then if some damage happens during the opening process, it's covered. If you damage it I'm sure they will feel bad for you when they inform you the extra damage in NOT covered and becomes your problem.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your right it would be covered under the warranty, however at this point he'll have to tow the bike there. There is a lesson to be learned here as I would hate for this to happen when you have no choice but to force the lid open!
I'll let you know how he makes out.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
ceraaa42 said:
This is under warranty, I'd take it to the dealer. Then if some damage happens during the opening process, it's covered. If you damage it I'm sure they will feel bad for you when they inform you the extra damage in NOT covered and becomes your problem.
ceraaa42... off this topic.. nice 08! Just ordering some parts before my '08 Classic arrives.. could you check your passing lamps and let me know if they can take bulbs - or do you have to replace the whole sealed lamp when it goes.
Cheers,
Ken

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
did he have one of those new fangled jiffy stand interlock systems?:265:

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
KenInVic said:
ceraaa42... off this topic.. nice 08! Just ordering some parts before my '08 Classic arrives.. could you check your passing lamps and let me know if they can take bulbs - or do you have to replace the whole sealed lamp when it goes.
Cheers,
Ken
They should take H2 bulbs

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Buddy called the dealer today, said they would pick the bike up bring it back to the shop and do the repair.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I asked the dealer and they said the passing lamps require the whole assembly to be replaced on an '08 EGC... not just a bulb... I really would like someone to confirm this so I can order new passing lamp reflectors that take bulbs if required. (cause I just dont believe everything the dealer tells me)

route66paul said:
They should take H2 bulbs

·
Registered
729 Posts
joetat said:
Buddy called the dealer today, said they would pick the bike up bring it back to the shop and do the repair.
I agree with the forcing, warranty or not, the bike needs gas to run. It has got to run to get home. If read right, you all were out on a ride correct?

A good dealer would overlook the self remedy. Please let us know what went wrong.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's right we were about 50 or so miles from home when we stopped for gas. He has since had it repaired by the dealer at a coat of $17.00 for the button/ key upgrade. I plan to buy one myself next trip to the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts