V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering painting my '03 FLTRI flat black with a satin clear cote and installing 10" apes (maybe black ones) Any experience or pictures?

Thanks

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Hey to each his own. Many may not dig my yellow RG and that's cool with me.

Never seen a flat black RG but here are a couple of pics of a RG with Apes. Not really my cup of tea either but again it's your scoot so do what you want.

ps I tried to find some pics of Paul Sr. on his RG with apes but could not find them.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It's probably comfortable, but it just doesn't look right.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Looks like a bug with tentacles^rolleyez^ screws up the nice lines IMO

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I happen to like RG's with apes, or mini-apes as mine has. I've also considered what an old school RG might look like with flat black paint. Red wheels with wide whites, and custom pinstriping. Hmmmm I wonder.
-Orion

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
The mini's are ok
In my best "Joe Dirt" voice...Right on!

For me, it was a no brainer. The PO of my bike put the mini-apes on, and I was lucky enough to be able to get on a stock '06 right next to mine, and realized the mini-apes were much more comfy..... for me and that's the important thing. Plus they are all chromed out for that extra bling factor which is always nice. I say go for it. Especially the flat black paint, cuz I'd like to see it, then I'll just have to copy you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've an '01 that had 16" apes on them when I purchased it. Black with red pin stripes. Looked great, but handled less than optimally in my humble opinion. No pics of it though.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
From time to time I check out Ebay and look what scoots are for sale. Today I found the very bike that I posted pics of on ebay for sale. They say it was put together for a movie or TV show. This is not a plug for it just weird that same bike was found for sale. The pics I posted were from another harley site I go to sometime and I remembered seeing a RG with apes there. Anyway just thought I would pass it on.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Zzzen Dog said:
I've an '01 that had 16" apes on them when I purchased it. Black with red pin stripes. Looked great, but handled less than optimally in my humble opinion. No pics of it though.
@gree:
I rode a RG with 15" apes and it handled horribly in comparison to the ones with stock or minis that I've ridden.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Why clear coat flat black? Just shoot it, bolt on the apes, and touch it up as you go along and it gets it's fair share of scratches, dent's and nicks...

·
Registered
287 Posts
The 03's were anniversary models. It does add to resale value at trade in time if original paint. I'll buy the metal tank emblems if you take them off.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Wrestling star Goldburg was featured on the cover of Iron Horse magazine on his Flat black Road Glide and it was Awesome. The whole bike was black even the pipes were black and wrapped.

It didn't have apes but the color was right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all of your responses. I appreciate it. I believe I will go with the flat black look and save the ape's till next year.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Blue when you build it be sure and show us how it came out.

·
Yup....paid my $15.00
143 Posts
Think they look great!

Here are my bars....powder coated black.

They are not Apes....(actually Wild 1 518's) and are very, very comfy~!Awesome!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts