V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anybody put a Road Glide fairing on a Road King? How diffucult was it and how did you like it after?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just an opinion...

But after buying all the required gauges, wiring, brackets (not to mention the inner and outer fairing itself) it would probably be cheaper to trade the King for a Glide...

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
The Road Glide has a Frame Mounted Fairing. The Frame extends forward of the Steering Column. You would have to start with a new frame!!! It would be easier to go with a Dragonfly Concepts style fairing and still have the ability to go convertable! Next Idea :huh: ???
http://www.dragonflycycleconcepts.com/fairings.htm

·
Registered
287 Posts
<<You would have to start with a new frame!!! >>
Harley is very thrifty about sharing parts across models. I am almost 100% sure the touring frames are all the same. There are two plastic filler buttons on each side of the neck frame where the fairing bracket mounts. The wiring harness for the gauges may or may not be a plug in afair.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I dont see where it attaches to the frame at all. Doesnt it attach to the trees and maybe your uppers? I do agree your best bet would be to purchase the detachable fairing. Several people make it.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
From the Harley-Davidson website...........

SiLlY said:
I dont see where it attaches to the frame at all. Doesnt it attach to the trees and maybe your uppers? I do agree your best bet would be to purchase the detachable fairing. Several people make it.
The Road Glide® is all the power and glory of the H-D® touring tradition taken down a different road. One look at this minimalist machine and you can’t resist the urge to log a few ...

... thousand adventures. The design is sleek, so the wind won’t hold you back. Frame-mounted wind-splitting fairing with silver-faced instrument cluster and twin headlights. Angled hardbags, a sculpted seat and slashing graphics complete the streamlined look. There’s a new Advanced Audio System by Harman/Kardon®. Only thing more powerful than the stereo is the silver and chrome Twin Cam 88® engine. The perfect machine for propelling you in the opposite direction of everyone else.

© 2001 - 2006 H-D. All rights reserved. Legal Notice. Privacy Policy. We Care About You.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
ZR1Dan said:
Just an opinion...

But after buying all the required gauges, wiring, brackets (not to mention the inner and outer fairing itself) it would probably be cheaper to trade the King for a Glide...
@gree: @gree:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
American Iron did an article on a similar conversion a few years back. Maybe you can email the publisher and find out which issue?

I'm pretty sure they sell back issues.

Tipsy

·
Registered
287 Posts
Look real close at the frame just in front of the tank. The filler buttons really blend in to the frame. But they are there. The trees turn and the RG fairing does not.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanx for clearing that up snowman. I was mistaken. When i read fairing, the first thing that came to mind was SG and similiar. Couldn't you see the question marks? I left room for correction. lol ;)

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Are the triple trees different? I know on the Electra Glides and Road Glides, the fork tubes are behind the the center stem. Not sure about the roadking. If the King has more conventional trees, you'd need to change them out for the RG style trees to get clearance for the fork tubes to turn inside the fairing.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
AustinFXDWG said:
Are the triple trees different? I know on the Electra Glides and Road Glides, the fork tubes are behind the the center stem. Not sure about the roadking. If the King has more conventional trees, you'd need to change them out for the RG style trees to get clearance for the fork tubes to turn inside the fairing.
Just noticed you have a FXDWG & an FLTR. I have a 97 Wideglide and an 05 Roadglide. :cheers:

·
BFFB
833 Posts
riding partner just sold the whole set up on e bay for 800 bucks ,buy it now , it was a road glide fairing that had been installed on a road king , it'll work

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
I stand corrected. I knew they were Hard Mounted to the frame.... i'll be damn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts