V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Linby engine guard. No instructions with the new bar, and nothing is the service manual which covers removing and installing the engine guard on a road glide. Anything I need to be aware of, or just unbolt the old and bolt on the new? Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
whoop72

It should be a piece of cake.. just watch out and make sure the clutch cable stays routed where its supposed to. Hmmmm.. come to think of it, are you sure the lower fairing mounting struts will mate up with the Linby diameter and location wise? Just curious

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything should line up, as the bar is made for the road glide. I've put the bar in place in front of the stock bar on the bike, and it appears all should work. I was just concerned about whether the front fairing actually was supported by the bar, or whether the fairing was just being given additional support with the struts which attach to the bar (which seemed likely). Didn't want to unbolt the bar and have the fairing want to drop down on the fender!!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
whoop72 said:
Everything should line up, as the bar is made for the road glide. I've put the bar in place in front of the stock bar on the bike, and it appears all should work. I was just concerned about whether the front fairing actually was supported by the bar, or whether the fairing was just being given additional support with the struts which attach to the bar (which seemed likely). Didn't want to unbolt the bar and have the fairing want to drop down on the fender!!
The fairing support shouldn't be an issue, it is just additional support. In a hurry once when I had my fairing off, went on a twoo hundred plus mile ride, when I got home, I noticed the the crash bar fairing mount bolts still on the cart... Can't do this of course with the newer RG's because of the signals and I certainly don't advise doing this, just saying, nothing fell apart. You will be fine sitting in your garage or driveway... Make sure you have the right year lindby, I noticed that the crash bar on my new RG is thicker than the one on my 01 was... (maybe 1-1/2" as opposed to 1-1/4")
Post a picture when you get it on would like to see it!

·
Registered
287 Posts
whoop72 said:
Not the greatest pictures, but you will get the idea. Like it much better than stock.
Just becareful of the turn signal wires. I pinched mine on one side before leaving for Tomahawk last year. Caused the running lights to blow the fuse. I was in a group and didn't get stopped. Was starting to remove fairing the next morning when I noticed the wire being pinched. Easy fix and used spare fuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts