V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the stock dash insert is attached? Is it glued? Is the surface smooth underneath the insert?

I want to put some diamond plate vinyl there and don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks!!

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Old Blue said:
Does anyone know how the stock dash insert is attached? Is it glued? Is the surface smooth underneath the insert?

I want to put some diamond plate vinyl there and don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks!!
What are you calling the dash insert? I have a manual in front of me and could help out if I had a better idea of what you are referring too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dash insert is on the tank, right below the fuel fille door to near the bottom of the tank near the seat

·
Registered
141 Posts
It looks to be glued on my RG. If youu can get a razor blade started in one corner and lift up slightly to see. Surface appears to be smooth. What color diamond plate vinyl are you putting on? Sounds like a great idea.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Old Blue said:
The dash insert is on the tank, right below the fuel fille door to near the bottom of the tank near the seat
:duh?: Nothing in the book on that. All I can find is the procedure for removing the whole console. I suspect that roadglide05 is correct. That is probably just glued on. Usually, there instructions with the replacement item on how to remove the old one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silver, looks like real diamond plate. I am also covering the upper fork tins and right below the big guages.

I am considering doing the tops of the saddlebags as well. Not sure though. I just ordered real diamond plate floorboard inserts from ebay. Should look cool.

I heard there was a hole under that dash insert for intercom controls. I don't know.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
You can just put it over the insert two.

I have an extended dash on my road glide tank. I put the insert that came with it in but never really liked it much. I bought a hd plain leather insert for 15$ and then glued a decorative piece on top of that. I came out really sweet if I say so myself.

I give the factory a lot of crap but one thing they make well is two sided tape and adhesive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts