V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always run 40 pounds front and ~42 rear in my wire rimmed RKC, basically because I've never seen what they "should" be set to. Anyone know what the pressure should be? (solo riding).

I guess the second part of the question is should a tubed tire be at the same pressure as the tubless tire has listed on it?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
2001 HD Service Manual for Touring models states the following for stock Dunlop tires.

Front Tire
36 psi for solo and 2 up riding

Rear Tire
36 psi for solo riding
40 psi for 2 up riding

This info should also be found in the Owners Manual for your bike.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Max tire pressure for a D402 is 40psi per the tire sidewall. Running 42 exceeds the tire specifications.
road_kings posted numbers are correct and should be followed.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Always follow tire manufactures listed PSI based on load. I have Metzlers and I use those numbers, others Avons.

I used the recommended tire pressure on the stock rear tire and got 10,000 miles out of it and could have went more.

·
Registered
509 Posts
LAF said:
Always follow tire manufactures listed PSI based on load. I have Metzlers and I use those numbers, others Avons.

I used the recommended tire pressure on the stock rear tire and got 10,000 miles out of it and could have went more.
LAF, you got 10K out of Metzlers? I ask because I new tires and everyone here says Metzlers beat the Dunlops hands down but the Metzlers don't get as much mileage. I am pleased with the Dunlops and wouldn't bother me at all to go with OEM's, But are they that much better (as far as rideability and handling)?
I know this has been beat to death, but as I said I saw your post and was curious. Thanks, Joe

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
RKJ said:
LAF, you got 10K out of Metzlers? I ask because I new tires and everyone here says Metzlers beat the Dunlops hands down but the Metzlers don't get as much mileage. I am pleased with the Dunlops and wouldn't bother me at all to go with OEM's, But are they that much better (as far as rideability and handling)?
I know this has been beat to death, but as I said I saw your post and was curious. Thanks, Joe
No, out of my stock Dunlop rear.

I am sure I should be able to do that out of the Metzler's also.

I guess that all depends on how you ride. I push it sometimes so I like a better traction tire, I like the tread pattern also. I ran Avon's also and loved them.

If you are just cruising and don't ride to aggressive then OEM Dunlops will serve you well.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
05 Road Glide 95 in the Bag
Built by LAF and Dynathearpy 1/22-23/2005
NRHS Stage II Heads/85cc /10.5:1/CP Pistons/Woods TW6HG Cams/S&S Gears/S&SRollerRockers/Crane Tappets/Smith Brothers 3/8" Molly Push Rods/Vance & Hines True Duals-Ovals/Baisely Spring/DTT TCFI/ SE Clutch Spring/Super Premium Oil Cooler/Doherty Power Pacc/True Track/Velva Ride Mounts .............LAF'S sig

man i see your sig all the time and i never would have guessed you getting 10K out of a rear tire..My bike is still stock for now and i find that the rear tire gets happier(read:smokier)than the front sometimes.......nice ride you got though

·
Registered
22 Posts
RKJ said:
I had good results running Avon tires for a dozen years. The Dunlops the bike had when I bought it were toast at 12000 mi. Im currently on my first set of Metzeler ME880s and after 5000mi I like them a lot. My local bike shop has a Snap On computer balancer for bike tires, and I recommend having it done. I found a more uniform wear pattern with no cupping, and managed to get an extra year out of that pair compared to the set before them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts