V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Road King Classic for 10 days now. Have gotten to ride it once because of the winter weather. I couldn't be happier. The only disapointment is the saddlebags. The volume is lacking for the long trips I have planned this summer. Has anyone changed them. I was looking at Boss 55's that appear to be made for FLH frames. Any advice will be appreciated.
Regards
Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
LoL good answer...but don't really think that was the kind of response he was looking for ;-)

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is also a removable tour pack wrapped in leather you can purchase. I had plenty of room on mine until the wife started packing...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Im not going to be much help but I will add my input. Perhaps you can use the same method. If I'm going to travel to a certain destination, I try to find someplace to Fedex/UPS my clothes and etc.. I only carry what I need for the trip. Nice Scoot btw. Be safe!

If youre dead set on traveling with tons of stuff, they also make a hitch so that you can haul a trailer with. lol. I've read where some think it's unsafe but I will never know. Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an '03 Road King Classic and have put on the detachable tour pak. I rarely take it off. Well worth the investment, although pricey.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I would stay with the stock bags. Replacing them with an aftermarket offering may only yeild a small increase in storage capacity. Not really giving much return on the investment of new saddlebags.
A better alternative would be something from SAC or Tbags.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Use one of these. They hold much more than a tourpak. Kuryakyn Full Dresser.

Went on a 4 day trip with the wife who doesn't pack light and on a 9 day Sturgis trip with just my stuff. I totally overpacked too.

Keep the stock bags. Aftermarket bags will look butt-ugly. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have had a RKC since 1999 and find the bags are better than the rigid bags on the other touring bikes. Account you can over stuff them. The sides an top just expand.. You can adjust the straps to allow the top to raise higher and it allow more room. I also have 06 road glide and I like the RKC bags better for packing items into. -2$en#e-

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the ideas especially UPS to the destination. road king, I think you are probably right that the small increase wouldn't be worth the investment. Maybe I'm just looking for problems while I'm waiting for the temperture to go above 28 deg. Having a new bike in the garage and not being able to ride is enough to make you nuts. :wacko:

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Boss Bags are pricey, but they are EXCELLENT bags. I don't have them on my FLHTCI, but I had Boss Bag #42's on two different bikes that I owned in the past including a Heritage Softail. Boss Bags are vastly superior to OEM soft saddlebags. The leather is thick and of very high quality. They hold their shape and they have an excellent quick detach mounting system. If I had any bike other than an Electra Glide or Road King I'd pop for the Boss Bags. It's hard to beat the beer cooler functionality of the Harley fiberglass/PVC saddlebags.

·
Never enough Time!
18 Posts
Liners

hdbrad said:
I have had a RKC since 1999 and find the bags are better than the rigid bags on the other touring bikes.-2$en#e-
@gree:

Plus, if you don't have'm yet, pick-up the HD liners. They make a huge difference in how much you can squeeze
into the bags, plus all the added convenience. :xhere:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Packing up an RKC

I have a detachable passenger backrest with luggage rack and use the SAC bags that slip over the bacckrest -- Same as HD stuff, made by the same guy but less expensive

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Personally do not like the looks of them. To aerodynamic. Harleys are not supposed to be aerodynamic. Look like ammo cans wrapped in leather.

I would look for something made of thick leather, so it keep some of its shape. No suggestions.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
zanolli said:
I have a detachable passenger backrest with luggage rack and use the SAC bags that slip over the bacckrest -- Same as HD stuff, made by the same guy but less expensive
I purchased a SAC product around 1998 and have used the hell out of it. Last year one of the zippers tore away from the fabric, mostly due to me overstuffing it each time I used it. At any rate, I sent it to SAC for repair which they did free of charge including the return shipping!
If you change your backrest, they will also modify the bag so it will fit the new backrest, you guessed it, free of charge.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I didn't think saddle bags were supposed to have zippers.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
But does it hold as much as this? :) The Full Dresser is made by BagTec. Has a hard plastic insert with 2 shelves and a rain cover. You can strap stuff to the top. It even has wheels to roll it into the hotel.

View attachment 30425

1 - 20 of 21 Posts