V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for a first thread!
On my new '03 RKC I have "passing lights" as you all know I'm sure. My question is...What is the general consensus on when to use these lights and why. I've seen many people ride with them at all times (running lights so to speak) and many with them off.

First thought would be that the more lights the more visable you are; but I wonder if at night an optical illusion effect could occur. By this I mean the three lights giving the appearance that they could be car headlights far off or lights from something other than a vehicle altogether. Am I just over thinking this? Does anyone have any experiences that relate?

Also, using them as passing lights like they are called, is complicated by the (correct me if I'm wrong) asinine placement of the switch; on the throttle side. That requires you to reach over with left hand to activate.
Anybody done a "switch switch"? (Aux. with passing light) I would think this would be easy enough (that means it is sure to be a real pain ).
Appreciate any input...Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
run them all the time, on coming drivers hate it but who cares at least when they flash there b-beams at you, you know they seen you !

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I run them all the time. F*ck the cagers.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
....run all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I run mine all of the time also. The cagers only tend to flash at me on real dark stretches of road. I would like to be able to run mine on high beam as well. I'm gonna get a wiring diagram and figure it out.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I got hundred watt sealed beams in mine unfluted lenses. You can't even see the headlight at night. Cars hate'em day or night.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Run mine all the time, Rather get flashed than not seen!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Don't depend on them saving you from the blind cage drivers!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've got mine wired so they are on all the time. I think the trick is to adjust them (most do need adjusting) so that oncoming drivers at night do not flash you cause they are too bright. Lots of passing lamps are really pointed up from the factory, then the weight of rider and/or passenger moves them further up thus kinda blinding oncoming traffic.

Another hint though. If you are riding behind other bikes at night, please turn them off. Guy/s in front of you get bad reflections in the mirrors. I've had to stop many times to tell guys in the back to either turn the dam* things off or get in front.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Ed Y,

How are your's wired? I thought it would be cool if you could wire your acc. switch to overide the original set up if necessary.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
2kflhr, click that link I posted above.......

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
2kflhr:

My 99 FLHT had a wire already in the fairing that was hot from the ignition when on. I just switched it to the passing lamp switch instead of the low beam wire. I'm sure your RK would have a hot wire available under the nacelle. The wiring diagram will tell you.

·
Registered
659 Posts
if you wire them for always on, check out your state / province legislation - it's illegal in most places I know of.
leave them on all the time - I've never had a problem with being flashed, but it's true that they bother bikes in front of you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts