V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 RK Classic which I absolutley love. One problem that I have noticed is that when I am in stop and go traffic and the engine gets hot, the neutral light indicator will flicker and go out. All other indicators on the dash continue to work fine and there are no other obvious malfuntions. Once the bike cools down, the neutral light indicator works fine. I just had my 5000 mile service and asked the dealer to check the light and was told it worked fine but one day later I got caught in traffic and when the engine got hot it happened again. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this or do I have to learn to live with it?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

'Could' be a bit of dirt on the inside of the switch.
Easy enough to take it out and give it a wipe.
7/8" wrench, just lifts out of the top of the Tranny
Chrome cover.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply harleyhog but dirt on the inside of the switch wouldn't explain why the light only stops working after the engine gets hot while sitting in traffic and works fine when the engine cools off.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Not something I've heard anyone having a problem with. It is a definite problem and you shouldn't have to live with it. Would almost have to be a defective switch (with an allergy to heat) or some kind of wiring problem.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would check to make sure the wire connections are tight on the switch, then if it continues, try moving the shifter ever so slightly in both directions with the clutch in, the next time it happens, to see if you can make the light come on. I have heard that sometimes your primary chain adjustment can be off and when everything gets hot it will change your shifter position enough to prevent the light coming on??? I have a '02 RKC and I've never had any problems with the neutral light, but I had an '01 Deuce that would do that when the primary was out of adjustment.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Have you tried replacing the bulb? Even a special "Harley Bulb" shouldn't cost too much (LOL). Might be worth a try before you do much else?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Hey Loren, Let us know what the fix was..............

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
isolate the trouble. The neutral switch, on the transmission, has two terminals on it. When the transmission is in neutral the two terminals should be shorted together. Unplug the two wires and check it with an omhs meter. Check it when it's cool and also when its hot. Carry the meter with you next time you get into traffic. When the light fails, pull over, unplug the wires, with trans. in neutral, and see if the two terminals are shorted together. If they are not, you got a bad switch. If they are short, the trouble is somewhere else. The wiring diogram says the black wire should have ground on it allways, and the tan colored wire should have 12volts on it, when the ignitions is on. Don't burn your hand on those hot pipes!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Post thought...can you imagine how much trouble that last check would be it you had to remove lots of plastic before your could even see the switch?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts