V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying either a black RK or RKC this week. I just can't decide which one to get. I like the hard bags but also like the looks of the leather bags. Can anyone give me some pros and cons on the two bikes so I can decide.

Are the passenger accomodations any better or worse on one or the other?

Thanks for anyones help.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Standard has hard bags (lockable), and cast wheels. Classic has leather bags (not lockable), wire wheels, and cruise control. That's the practical. Aesthetically, there's also different tank badging, seat, and fender trim. I've probably left something out.

Personally, I prefer the "Old School" look of the classic, and love the cruise control. I nearly went with the standard though, just because of the bags. However, see my solution here.

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
RKC could be the custom or the classic, both have the plastic shell side bags that are leather covered. The custom has the turn signals on the handle bars and doesn't have the aux lights/highway lights. The custom is also missing cruise control, that the classic has. The classic has platform foot rests for the passenger the custom has pegs. The custom has handle bars that come back further (beach bars) The custom has a chrome fairing on headlight that the classic doesn't have. Not sure about the RK.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
The RK Custom has been lowered in back and as such does not have the full suspension travel of the Standard or Classic. Those who know the difference say that for touring, especially two up, the Custom ride can be harsh. Also the Custom comes stock with a seat that will not please a passenger and the bike does not have a windshield. My problem is that I like aspects of all three Kings. I like the lockable hard bags of the Standard and the full travel rear shocks, but I like the wheels, bars, chrome wind deflector and tank emblem on the Custom. Of course ya gotta love the cruise control on the Classic, however I could see myself grinding my teeth down to the gum trying to keep the spoked wheels clean and spot free. Soon as I pay off some unexpected med bills, I'll probably find a low mileage Standard and do some parts swapping over time. There are plenty of ride reviews and owners reports to be found online. Many mention the differences between the three. If you are going to spend the bucks, take the next day or two, check owners' photos and bike opinions before you choose one over the other.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I like the standard, but then I have a little bias goin' on here. In my opinion, laced wheels are pretty, but just another thing that could go wrong with spokes getting out of tune, etc. The standard is pre-wired for cruise so you can easily add it. Also, I'm 6'3." I felt more crowded sitting on a Classic.

But, the good news is there is no wrong decision here. I'm sure either will slap a smile on your face.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am talking about the classic. the custom looks cool, but I'll be mostly riding 2 up.

Are the leather bags hard to keep looking good? Other than wiping them down with Lexol or something similar. With the leather I wouldn't have to worry about scratching the paint if my wife hits them getting on and off.

I do like the tubless tires on the standard.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i have a 99 flhrci - (classic fuel injected). i at first preferred the hard bag look prior to buying mine, but i always prefer spoke over cast - some say if you get a flat the cast bla bla bla...i've been riding myself for 15 years without an issue with any of my spoked wheels (which includes all bikes). the leather are easy to keep care of, just wipe off, and once in a while use the leather dressing that h.d. provides or sells. the classic is the retro of the 3 bikes, and the tank trim/emblem and fender trim on the classic are way nicer in my opinion than the others. the custom doesnt have crash bars either i dont think, and that takes away from the bikes 'wideness' and makes it look more like a fatboy (if thats what you prefer then disregard). all road kings rock though!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I bought a RKC ,for 2 reasons,
1} the leather bags will get slightly scratched ,add character to the scooter,
2} The cruise control over long roads adds to my comfort and freedom
it also looks old school when I remove the fairing!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Its one of those things, you hate one and love the other. Personally I think the leather bags on the FLHRCI are ugly. Look like ammo cans wrapped in leather. They look fake. I like the ones one the Nosalagias. Big thick heavy soft leather.

I don't think leather is hard to keep good though. I've had real leather bags and they looked gooded for years. If your a real neat freak, then no you might not like them.

Also don't like the fake buckle on the classic, cheesey.

But this is just me. Other people love them and hate hard bags.

·
Registered
443 Posts
FWIW the Custom does come with crash-bars, but no windshield, passing lamps, fender trim, or cruise. Has cast chrome wheels w/blackwalls, bullet style t-s, model specific dash, and a seat not worthy of two people for more than 50mi. or so. All three models have their merits, tough choice.

·
03FLHRI,84XLH,52ArielVHA
556 Posts
I've found the RK standard to be more pragmatic for year round riding but admit it doesn't look as good as the classic. But I put high mileage on my bike commuting and such so I need the locking bags and better suspension. Rain has less destructive impact on hard bags than leather and since it rains so darn much around here that was another consideration.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
cap'n, nice mod there, good job

couldn't help commenting on this one, made me spew beer all over my computer monitor and key board!!!

capn_buzzcut said:
I don't have any thumbs you insensitive clod, just middle fingers. My handicap gets me in lots of trouble, and makes hitchhiking damn near impossible. :finger:

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
Road King Classic with Hard Bags!

Road King Classic with Hard Bags, best of both worlds and not that hard to do! 2003 FLHRCI

·
'08 Ultra Classic
39 Posts
Ya know, I think the MOCO does this on purpose! I have the Road King Classic because I love the look. I may, some day, go with hard bags. I'm not concerned with the ability to lock. Nobody has ever messed with my bags, and I can get locks for the leathers.
I do wish the MOCO would offer an option on the bags for the RKC (hard or soft). I'll probably end up having both. Most RK owners modify their bikes to some extent, as you can see from the previous posts. I guess no bike meets the owners requirements straight out of the box (MOCO's exellent marketing work here).
This question seems to come up often, showing that the consumers' taste differences.
Find the bike that more closely fits your needs and modify accordingly. Sh!t, that's half the fun!

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
I got the profile laced wheels and I say they are the easiest wire rims to clean that I have ever had to deal with.

I agree with the leather bags though. The profile dosen't flatter the bike very well. I don't like the fake buckle either (I think I might do Capn's mod).

However, the Classic is aptly named - it looks like a classic when it's colored in black and the whitewalls are all prettied up.

What a nice ride.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Classic Vs STD

One thing that I don't think was mentioned is that you can stuff the crap outta the leather bags, just adjust the buckles to the end. The hard bags when really stuffed have a tendency to pop open on occasion....even when locked. I was riding on the 210 fwy car pool lane here in so cal (a really shitty lane with bumps, grooves uneven pavement & such) when some chicks in a Mustang Convt. are pointing behind me. Here it is, I'm thinking they're "checkin' me out", when in reality, they're trying to communicate to me that I was losing blue jeans & clothes to the wind via my now open hard bag. The same style of packing on a Classic, the bags kind of expand. Thats the thing i like about the leather. I have a extra set of Hard bags I'm going to add the stretch Ness sections to & custom paint the bike. So, I'll have both sets. Esthetics wise, the hard bags look WAY better to me.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I've never had a hard bag pop open when locked. When unlocked most I've had is the latch to come up. If your having stuff haning out, you need to check adjustment. I've been up and down this country, and never had anything hang out.

I would bet the hard bags hold more, stuffed or not. But maybe optical illusion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought the vivid black Road King Classic. Will be in at the end of February. I don't think I could go wrong with either. The cruise control and looks of the leather bags (in my opinion ^rolleyez^ ) were the determining factor.

Now the decision on accessories. Does the different collections, like the flame or scull collections, that include hand grips, shifting pegs, floorboard pads, etc., make the bike look gaudy? I have only seen them in the accessory book and not on an actual bike. I want the bike to look good without looking like a "poser" (If you know what I mean). I don't need to spend that much money on something that I may end up taking off in the future, because I didn't know what I was doing.

Sorry for the stupid newbe question.

Thanks for everyones input.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts