V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some companies, corbins one, have different part # for 97-05 and 06 and up road king. others say 97 and up. does anyone know the diff??
thanx kevin

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The '08 is a completely different story.

The others I believe is due to how the seat meets the dash/tank.

Notice the RK Custom fits '04-'07 so it can't be a frame issue.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I think I know the answer on the Corbin.

In 06 HD added some extra space about back by moving the tour pak back about 1.5" It did not change the seat at all, but Corbin changed their seat because of it.

If you read all the notes and details their 05 and earlier seats were not compatible with a tour pak but you will notice there is more back seat room than the 06-07 seat. In 06 the changed to a seat that could be used with a HD back rest and/or a HD tour pak

Also pre 06 they had a special "tour pak seat" for the Ultra that they no longer make for the 06 forward.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
In 2006 HD went to a plastic case for a wiring harness that allows access to the wiring with out destroying the harness (sheathing). Corbins base pans follow the contours of the frame so close that they had to redo them for the 06 up touring line. But you still need to be awhare of witch console you are using becuase that is also a clearance issue (i.e. standard RK VS. street glide console) There is a diiference between the 2 with a corbin seat.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
06roadglide said:
Corbins base pans follow the contours of the frame so close that they had to redo them for the 06 up touring line. But you still need to be awhare of witch console you are using becuase that is also a clearance issue .
Can Corbin dual tour seats be uses with the Kuryakyn underseat heat deflectors?

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
That's a good question. I really don't know how much room the deflectors take. I have the Dual Tour street glide seat on my 06 road glide but it is at the dealer for a warranty oil leak right now so when I get it back a will see how much clearance there is and check back in.

How do the deflectors mount? Over the frame maybe?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
They are semi thin maybe an 1/8" to about a 1/4" or there abouts. But yes they wrap around the frame under the seat and right after the tank, under all the cables and wires that route front to back.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
thatoldbike said:
The '08 is a completely different story.

The others I believe is due to how the seat meets the dash/tank.

Notice the RK Custom fits '04-'07 so it can't be a frame issue.
Just today spent a good long time looking over an 08 RG seat and an 01 RG seat (same til 07) side by side with an 08 RG sitting there to do alot of comparisons since my 01 stocker was very comfy for my fat arse and the 08 is a torture device. The real difference seems to be the height of the seat pan as far as stand off of the frame rails in order to accomadate the ECM on top of the battery. The nose is also different but not a major factor, the real problem is the ECM under the seat, which although the seats look vary close except the nose causes the seat pan to actually be substantially smaller because of depth and shape. In order to make room for the optional ABS, they redisigned the flht and flt seats and stuck the ecm under the seat on top of the battery to open up the side cover area for the abs control. I believe the ecm may have just enough slack in the harness to reposition the ecm into the old location under the side cover providing you don't have ABS. Of course, this will require some fabrication to get the tray there (if it reaches) and attached securly with all that PLASTIC down there. I believe the old seat with the nose redesigned and pan altered for the new front mount will fit and work. The older seat still rests perfectly on the frame rails and OBTW is a thousand times more comfortable than the new one for fat guys!

I'll keep you posted.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man, I hate to buy a seat only to find it doesnt fit. I've been looking at saddleman or danny gray

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I got my bike back and the corbin dual tour has rubber bumpers that rest on the frame where the deflectors would be. So it appears that the deflectors will not fit properly with a corbin.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I have always been leary about seats just because of that. I loved the previous RG seat so never thought about it seriously but now it's a delimna for me. I am pretty sure the "Tallboy" seat from the MoCo for 08 touring bikes will work. Moves you two inches further back without raising you higher. At least with the dealer I can carry it out and try it before purchase. I wouldn't even consider odering a seat I hadn't tried out first, if not for a ride, at least to put it on and sit...
This is such an issue for me right now, I'll know if it's any good. Went for a 35 mile ride today and will be laid up on pain killers for at least two days :yikes:

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
06roadglide said:
I got my bike back and the corbin dual tour has rubber bumpers that rest on the frame where the deflectors would be. So it appears that the deflectors will not fit properly with a corbin.
Thank You!
hmmm???
Good Seat or Lots of Heat.... That is the question!
The deflectors actually do a good job. I pulled my off since the weather has cooled down. That lasted one tank. I was really surprised at how big of a difference the deflectors really do!

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
MindInMyOwnBiz said:
Thank You!
hmmm???
Good Seat or Lots of Heat.... That is the question!
The deflectors actually do a good job. I pulled my off since the weather has cooled down. That lasted one tank. I was really surprised at how big of a difference the deflectors really do!

I could be wrong about the deflectors and a corbin seat. I would have to see exactly how the deflectors are mounted to be able to make a solid judgement.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Ok, I went to Kuryakyn.com and found the mounting instructions for the deflectors and they mount completely different than what I thought.
I now feel confident that the deflectors will work with my corbin dual tour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts