V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still sitting on the fence between a Road King and Road Glide (hey, at least I got it down to two).

Last year, I logged about 1,000 miles on an EG Classic... it was great for touring, but splitting lanes here in Cali was a bit crazy... for that, I felt more comfortable on the Road King Custom I had (on loan, had it 7 weeks... then had to give it back, darn).

I have never ridden a Road Glide. Everyone says they are well balanced and nimble in the twisties... but how about lane-splitting and tight traffic (like we have in So Cal)?

Most of my riding is out in the desert -- Palm Springs area -- where we have a lot of wind... but for riding from here to Temecula on Highway 74, it's a great ride with no windshield, which make a RK perfect... but then I also ride into LA (120 miles), and typically encounter a fair amount of wind (so the RG would work best for that).

Just curious how the RG responds on canyon roads and in traffic...

And I am dying without a bike this weekend -- it's American Thunder weekend in Palm Springs and the Valley is alive with H-Ds... and I'm stuck in a cage.

Soon... I'll pull the trigger and get back in the saddle.

Thanks!

Scott

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I have to say I liked my RK Classic in the twisties a little better than the RG. Glidey's a bit heavier in the front end. I'm pretty much used to it now, but it took a while. As you know, on the highway there's no comparison. Lane splitting it's no different. My foot pegs & mirrors define the outer edges - at times it gets close... VERERRRRy close.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well the Road Glide is approx 25lbs heavier than RK's so that would probably make the RK a more "nimble" ride.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Wow, I find that any Harley with the words Glide or Road in the name is a long way from "nimble". But then again I've done my share of dirt biking :hmmm:

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
A Buell is nimble. You're splitting hairs with the RG-RK compariision. Choose the look you like.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Ya, "nimble?" I don't know if I'd call either of them nimble.

But I can and have dragged floor boards with the sport bike crowd on my RG

On the highway there is no question that the RG is more comfortable.
It fairing angle keeps the bike flat to the road for a smoother ride and your not as tired when you get where your going.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I have an 83 fxrt and a 2006 RK Custom and find that my RK is about as nimble in the corners as my RT. The major difference for me is the height. The RT is quite a bit higher than the RK. I liked my RT, I love my RK

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
If you didn't feel comfortable "splitting lanes" on the EG I really can't see that the RG will be any better. The fairings are about the same width.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Width

That's what I was thinking... I know width is determined more by bags and bars, but on the Road King, with the shield, you can "see" everything side to side. On the EG and RG, the fairing obscures your side vision a little.

With all the bikes in town this weekend, I was just following an EG Classic and realized in reality, it is a lot narrower than it felt while riding it.

Maybe some of it is mental -- 40 years of riding... never owned a bike with a fairing... so that may be the key.

Thanks for everyone's input so far...

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
279 Posts
sheidbrink said:
On the EG and RG, the fairing obscures your side vision a little.

You get used to the fairing issue. When you drive a car you have the same
issue, but you have adapted to that. Going from an open point of view and
then riding with a fairing just takes a little time.
:wavey:

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I did some 2500 miles on a 2006 RoadGlide last year in New Mexico and Arizona. Compared to my 2007 Ultra, the RG displays better stability at speed and doesn't react nervously to head wind from an angle or wind gusts. Due to the much lighter front end. steering force is lower and the bike reacts quicker to subtle steering inputs. Call it nimble on a Harley scale {salute(
Best handling Touring bike IMHO.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Sounds like you should get that RK and maybe get an aftermarket Fairing. I have a RG that I live, but if I did it again I would seriously consider that option as I like the look of RK (with fairing) better than the RG. Don't get me wrong, I love my RG, but I do like a more traditional look up front.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I dunno about the lane splitting, but as far as twisties 7 cornering go.... The RoadGlide handles better - FOR SURE!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Which is more nimble: an African elephant or and Indian elephant?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Roadglides, in stock form, have fairly low bars compared to most other touring Harleys. All I know is a friend who has an 04 RK has ridden my 06RG and says he is amazed at how much more stable it feels. Now that could be due to alot of things but it is the most stable and best handling Harley I have ridden and I've ridden most of the touring bikes including several RKs.

Body dimensions and style are personal and have alot to do with this.

EZ

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Having owned a Road King, then a Stret Glide and now a Road Glide I can honestly say the one I can throw into the turns with the most ease is the Road Glide. Highway cruising on the RG is a dream too. Slices right through the wind and is not affected nearly as much by crosswinds and big rig push.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent...

Monstermile,

You hit on it... you've owned the three bikes that I considered (then ruled out the Street Glide because the low rear suspension might be a challenge 2-up)...

But I guess that's what I was looking for -- when someone gets a Road King... what do they get next... and next again.

I love them all... but am trying to shorten the learning curve and go right to the "right bike" for me.

I know the sales manager at Palm Springs H-D is a Road Glide advocate, too.

Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I keep hearing everyone talking about how superior the RG is to the other touring models and I can't help but wonder if they really are so much better handling why is it LE uses either the EG or the RK instead of the RG? I've never seen a RG used by LE.

As far as a lighter front end if you look at the HD web site and compare a RK a RG and a FLHX. Dry weight the RK is 740 # the RG 752 and the FLHX 749. Granted there's very little difference. They are all the same from the gas tank back the weight difference IMO has to be in the fairing. So how can it be lighter :hmmm:

·
Registered
474 Posts
03 Roadking said:
I keep hearing everyone talking about how superior the RG is to the other touring models and I can't help but wonder if they really are so much better handling why is it LE uses either the EG or the RK instead of the RG? I've never seen a RG used by LE.

As far as a lighter front end if you look at the HD web site and compare a RK a RG and a FLHX. Dry weight the RK is 740 # the RG 752 and the FLHX 749. Granted there's very little difference. They are all the same from the gas tank back the weight difference IMO has to be in the fairing. So how can it be lighter :hmmm:
As a Street Glide owner ,I'm going to side with the Road Glide being a better ride (Nimble???prolly not a good analogy) when steering the road glide you are not turning the bat wing and all its payload! not to mention the wind load that the bat wing is taking while trying to steer it, mount a sheet of plywood to your handle bars and try out some twisties! my point being I think the lack of weight bolted to the handle bars of a Road Glide is the determining factor in the "Feel" not the physical weight, I drove a Road Glide for a very short time and was impressed comparatively. -2$en#e-

·
Registered
44 Posts
Seems like everyone is on board with the RG being excellet in the wnd. Please look at the thread "Wind". There are some interesting observations and comments regarding this issue.

Mo

1 - 20 of 41 Posts