V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advantages of owning a RK over a Dyna? I have a 2003 FXDL now that I use about 50/50 highway city driving. I know the RK is a competent highway bike but how does it handle in traffic?

Tim

G

·
The touring frame handles GREAT in traffic. The inverted front end makes it handle better than bikes half its weight.

And by the way, saying it's a "competent" highway bike is like saying Michael Jordan had "acceptable" ability as a basketball player.

Harris

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Road King!!

Dynas are simply sportier when it comes to handling and acceleration. The chassis gets the power to the grond more efficiently and aids handling for the same reasons in terms of responsiveness. Donnie Petersen of Heavy Duty Cycles rides one and plays up the performance aspect.

I own a Road King (full disclosure) and love everything else it offers the Dyna does not. The large bags are unbelievably useful (you won't believe it until you try them, rent one for a weekend) day-to-day and the nimble steering feels effortless in close quarters - simply more stable and comfortable than I would have imagined. The included (and easily removed) windshield make it super comfortable on the road and it looks fantastic (I have an '05 Classic) - never fails to draw a crowd at a gas station. But, i am biased.

:cheers:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
drdevon said:
Dynas are simply sportier when it comes to handling and acceleration. The chassis gets the power to the grond more efficiently and aids handling for the same reasons in terms of responsiveness. Donnie Petersen of Heavy Duty Cycles rides one and plays up the performance aspect.

I own a Road King (full disclosure) and love everything else it offers the Dyna does not. The large bags are unbelievably useful (you won't believe it until you try them, rent one for a weekend) day-to-day and the nimble steering feels effortless in close quarters - simply more stable and comfortable than I would have imagined. The included (and easily removed) windshield make it super comfortable on the road and it looks fantastic (I have an '05 Classic) - never fails to draw a crowd at a gas station. But, i am biased.

:cheers:
I'm biased too. Just love mine. Do a lot of stop and go city driving.
:bowdwn: to the Road King Classic.

·
Registered
404 Posts
FXR was my only ride for years. Blasted all throughout NYC and the Metro area on all the Highways and backroads. Bought and E'Glide and figured I would only use it for long trips.

Well, the FXR never gets ridden anymore and is being sold in the spring. The E'Glide is a million times better at city streets (except for it's added width) and out on the highway, there is no comparison.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have yet to see anyone go from an RK to a dyna and be happy, but perhaps someone will post here to prove me wrong. I've seen lots of people go the other way though, and be pleased as punch, I'd have a hard time going back to a fatboy, got too used to the windshield, cruise, and smooth ride.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
What he said.

I bought a 2005 RK Classic, still have a hard time believing how well it handles and rides.

drdevon is right about the gas station , more times than not I get comments and compliments.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Ride a Dyna, going to a Road King!

For starters, I LOVE my Dyna and wish I could keep it for around town and riding 1 up, but can't justify owning 2 bikes with a kid starting college and another just finishing. I am selling it and going to a Road King for all the above mentioned reasons. Not to dis the Dyna, but comparing the two is like comparing a Quarter horse to a Thoroughbred. It all depends on what kind of riding your do. Both are Harley's, both big twins same as the other two are both horses, but there are distinct differences. Kind of like comparing a dyna to one of the custom choppers with the 300 rear tires. The chopper is great for trolling for chicks and bar hopping, but not much of a ride in the twisties and on a 500 mile day.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
cs1 said:
Any advantages of owning a RK over a Dyna? I have a 2003 FXDL now that I use about 50/50 highway city driving. I know the RK is a competent highway bike but how does it handle in traffic?

Tim
Put ya wife or SO on the back and make a run down to Bandera and back...then ask the question again. LoL!!

You kinda sucked the wind out of my sail when you said you couldn't justify to keep 'em both because that's what I did. Kept the LowRider for around town and bought a bagger for those long hauls.

My girl friend even wants to take the bagger on the short hops now. SO, I put a solo seat (a HD Diamond seat) on the LowRider and it's my grocery getter now.

o~\o

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
If you ride in the cold or rain or use your bike everyday and need to carry stuff get a bagger. The big bags are awesome. Throw on a trunk and you can fit anything even more. My detachable has not come off.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Physics view of frame geometries

All other things being equal-

The Dyna would typically be more responsive due to the amount of trail engineered into the design.
From 4.1" to 5.1".

Whereas the Roadking would seem more stable at highway speeds with 6.16" of trail.

FWIW-If the choice was up to me I'd take a new Police Road King.
Local dealers have a lot of these in stock this winter.
They are returned to dealers each year after the parade/funeral season.
A couple of my friends have purchased them recently.

G

·
Ka-Ka said:
All other things being equal-

The Dyna would typically be more responsive due to the amount of trail engineered into the design.
From 4.1" to 5.1".

Whereas the Roadking would seem more stable at highway speeds with 6.16" of trail.

FWIW-If the choice was up to me I'd take a new Police Road King.
Local dealers have a lot of these in stock this winter.
They are returned to dealers each year after the parade/funeral season.
A couple of my friends have purchased them recently.

However, All else is NOT equal.

The inverted steering head gives the FLH's the long trail, which does make it comforable for highway riding, while also giving it a steep rake angle (27 degrees if memory serves) which makes it easy to handle in tight quarters. The low speed handling is further improved by the self-centering characteristic of this steering head.

Harris

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
cs1 said:

Tim
RK!!! You will not regret it. It is QUITE nimble in traffic...to say it is competent on the highway is an understatement.

YB

·
Banned
135 Posts
I own a RKC (old police bike) my neighbor owns a dyna. I've ridden his dyna as well as many others from the softail line, both springer and cartridge forks. My opinion is nothing handles better than a road king other than a sportster. My neighbor and I switched one day and when we were done we both agreed, the RK handles better. To me it feels about half as heavy as the Dyna. About 1/4 as heavy as anything with a springer front end.

·
Registered
389 Posts
cs1 said:

Tim

Funny you should ask:brows:

I JUST traded my Dyna for a 2006 Road King. I loved that Dyna. Greatest thing since sliced bread....... until I got the Road King.

The only complaint I have is that the RK is a bit harder to be pushing it around in the basement when I need to get the other bikes out..... oh, and (being vertically challenged) I had to add a lowering kit.

Most of my riding is two-lane country roads and around the smaller towns.
I cannot believe the difference in handling. The RK is the winner, hands down. It would take too long to explain. I don't think I have ever been this happy with a bike. :woohoo:

Note that my Dyna was a slight bit better balanced at speeds under 5 mph.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dyna to RK Custom

I had a Dyna for about 5 years and switched to a RK Custom a couple of years ago. The RK wins hands down. Handling, stability, practicality, you name it - it was simply better on the King.

Happy trails...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts