V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 RK bars make me lean forward and put pressure on my shoulder blades. Assuming a comfortable position on my Sundowner, my hands and arms are most comfortable about 1 inch higher and 2-3 inches farther back than the stock grips are. What replacement bar would you recommend? Will all the cables have to be changed? Thanks.

·
Riding With The Son
204 Posts
A lot of folks like the Wild 1 bars, and I have their #508's. They give about 4 inches more pullback than the stock bars and really sit you upright. You might also look at their #518's which have a little less pullback but still more than the stock bars.

Although Wild 1's website indicates that you can use the stock cables with each of these bars, they seem to advise against it. In my case, I went with +2" on the throttle and brake cables and the stock length on the clutch cable. I used this as an opportunity to upgrade to the stainless cables at the same time.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Check out fatbaggers website. I have there bagger bars and like them alot, although they were spendy.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I went with the baby apes (513's) from Wild1. They don't put your arms up real high and you have the option to pull them closer to you if you want without putting your wrist in an awkward positions.

You do have to go with longer wiring/cables though.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Police bars. They are 10" tall and not as wide. The newer models are not the same as Hertigage bars.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Need to properly identify your bike, Road Kings have differant bars. You got two letters, add a couple more. Write it down put it on a stickie on your monitor, in no time you will remember it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
DenverRK said:
I have Road Glide bars on my RK and LOVE them
I have Road Glide bars on my Road King and really like them, paid $20 for them.
Someone might have a set if you ask around here.
No need to change cables.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I put RK high bars on my RK. They use the stock cables and are an easy replacement. They eliminated all the shoulder pain I was getting. I am now riding an Ultra, and like the stock bars so far.

·
Banned
711 Posts
I, and two other RK Classic riders I ride with, switched to wide glide bars. Each of us found them to be a much more comfortable.

You don't really need to change the cables but you'll have to straighten out the brake lines at the bars. Not a big deal, or you cold replace the lines.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
PastorJohn said:
A lot of folks like the Wild 1 bars, and I have their #508's. They give about 4 inches more pullback than the stock bars and really sit you upright. You might also look at their #518's which have a little less pullback but still more than the stock bars.

Although Wild 1's website indicates that you can use the stock cables with each of these bars, they seem to advise against it. In my case, I went with +2" on the throttle and brake cables and the stock length on the clutch cable. I used this as an opportunity to upgrade to the stainless cables at the same time.

the wild one bars are the best my budys got the 508 on his 04 rk just like power steering

·
Registered
337 Posts
navyman said:
I put RK high bars on my RK. They use the stock cables and are an easy replacement. They eliminated all the shoulder pain I was getting. I am now riding an Ultra, and like the stock bars so far.
Are these (RK high bars) HD bars? How much did you pay? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
The Road King High Bar is a HD bar. I have them on my FLHRI and love them. Can't tell you their cost, but they're in the parts catalogue.

They use original control cables so that saves some expense.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The Wild1 508's have a little too much "wheel barrow" effect for me. The 518's are a little better, I had them on my bike but they pulled back too far and make low speed turns difficult. Definitely agree that you need +2" cables. I ran stock cables and they were very tight. My clutch cable ended up leaking at the tranny because it had too much pressure on it.

I sold the 518's and went with the 504's. I like the 504's but I'm probably going to change to the 513 baby apes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I put Heritage bars on my 06 RK Classic. Cost was 50+ from the dealer. They wantedt to charge me an additional 150 to put them on as they said " you have to change the cables". Bull Crap!. The local indy did it for 50 and made a VERY slight bend in the front brake line. All total $104.00 for new bars. I have no pain or numbness. I have had the bike less than a year and have put 15K on it. Love the new bars.

{salute(
Stand for Something or Fall for Anything

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
If you are going to apes and have to change the cables anyway, go with 18". They are about shoulder high with a slammed seat. I went to 16" and it could be higher. They are very comfortable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts