V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done a search for info but could not find any answers... Maybe someone out there can help..
I'm considering changing out my gas tank on a Fuel Injected Road King which has a fuel guage... and the fuel pump inside.. Is there a problem swapping out the pump and guage?.... I don't have the replacement tank in my hands yet and can not picture what the inside looks like and haven't taken the cover off my installed tank ... I know there is an oblong hole from the pictures I've seen but I don't have a service manual to reference the mechanical workings..

How does the fuel guage come off? is there something inside holding it?

What hold the fuel pump in place? is there a bracket?

Besides the fuel line to the engine, and the mounting bolts that hold the tank on... is there any issues I should be looking for?

Guess I should say, the installed tank is on a 2003 RK and the tank I'm swapping to is off a 2002 RK and I'm told they are identical as far as the shell is concerned..

Thanks for your assistance or sending me to a site for help...

Happy New Years,,

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Gauge pulls out by hand, you have to pull straight up without turning. Then you see the bolts for the sender and and when taking it out feed the wires thru the tubing in the tank after removing the pins from the connector. You have to play with it a little by turning so as not to bend the float.

Fuel pump assembly comes out all in one piece with filter, lines and everything. Varies a little by year but you have to undo the tank fittings where they go to the fuel line or lines.

When you put it back you should replace all the gaskets and all the bolts that hold the pump module and sender. Piece of cake if you look in the FM.

Biggest pain is the crossover line and draining the tank. Just cut the clamps with sidecutters.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
When you take out the fuel plate you see the pump on a plastic holder that pivots, it is easy to break the plastic holder when maneuvering the assembly out. If it breaks you can fix it with a tie wrap. Used not to be available separately.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts