V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on my way to work this morning on my 2009 RK, slowed for a traffic light, then went to accelerate - nada. Engine quit. Pulled over to the side, cycled ignition and tried to start, starter wouldn't engage or spin. I also noticed that the check engine light didn't come on. After about 5 minutes and repeated tries, the bike started up. Any ideas? Security system, maybe? I need to change the fob battery (this weekend).

Thanks.

Rob

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I don't know why, but I would check fuse, since things didn't come on. Did other things work? If not check battery cable. I realize this is not a detailed response, but always good things to check.

So check battery and fuses. Did lights work?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, lights worked, just nothing when I hit the starter - headlight didn't even dim. I'll check the battery cables, I've been meaning to add a Powerlet socket so this is a good opportunity.

Rob

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Might as well check the fuses. Have you put any kind of FI tuner piggyback on it, like power commander? Loose connection at ECM?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I have to check my batt cables every so often, they tend to vibrate loose, get just enough connection to get lights etc.. but once you hit the starter... nothing...

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
It can't be the FOB battery. Once the bike is started. You can throw the fob on your garage floor and ride off. Bike will stay running.

I would check the ign switch on the handlebar. Maybe a loose connection in that circuit somewhere. I think with that switch off, the starter will not turn over.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
It can't be the FOB battery. Once the bike is started. You can throw the fob on your garage floor and ride off. Bike will stay running.

I would check the ign switch on the handlebar. Maybe a loose connection in that circuit somewhere. I think with that switch off, the starter will not turn over.
that reminds me of a funny story :D. Went riding with a couple buddies, we stop at the local waterhole for a minute and decide to to head out. Buddy#1 has this beautiful custom chopper, done up in american flag colors, just a gorgeous bike. He jumps on, hits the starter.... nothing.... uh oh... we dicked with his bike for a good 45 minutes before buddy#2 reaches over hits the "run" button and fires it right up... :duh?: talk about a bunch of dumb @sses :hystria: sometimes it's the most obvious solution...

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
that reminds me of a funny story :D. Went riding with a couple buddies, we stop at the local waterhole for a minute and decide to to head out. Buddy#1 has this beautiful custom chopper, done up in american flag colors, just a gorgeous bike. He jumps on, hits the starter.... nothing.... uh oh... we dicked with his bike for a good 45 minutes before buddy#2 reaches over hits the "run" button and fires it right up... :duh?: talk about a bunch of dumb @sses :hystria: sometimes it's the most obvious solution...
You goofy bastards.:redrolf::redrolf:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a piggyback tuner, but the bike was a tuned with a TTS - shouldn't have anything to do with the problem. I'm going to check connections and fuses this weekend. Fortunately (or not) the bike did start up and the problem hasn't repeated itself. Unfortunately, I'm now a little nervous about riding any distance.

Rob

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I was having some weird problems with my 07 RK, turn signals stopped working and started up again, engine wouldnt turn over and everything looked find. I think once it even shutoff as you described. The fortunate thing is that it did it for the mechanic when I had it in for new bars to be installed. He immediately said that the switch needed to be cleaned, that some of the contacts get dirty and make intermittent contact. and that they would take care of it. It has had any of these problems since they "cleaned" the switch. I don't know if this is your problem, just passing on some info.
Not sure what is involved with cleaning the main switch.

Might be something to check.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Did it start up right away? Are you throwing any codes?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It didn't start right away, took about 5 minutes before I got any response. It did act like there was an issue with the starter switch and/or battery. When it first responded to the starter it was like the switch wasn't making good contact and the motor spun over slowly. I've been riding regularly , so the battery should have a good charge. Problem hasn't repeated, but it is still a little disconcerting.

Rob

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I would check battery cable, since it turned over slow.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
When mine did that, it was the ign switch, took it apart and cleaned it. No more problems

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also check the mounting bolts on your starter. Mine had vibrated loose and I experienced intermittent starting problems. Once I tightened them up - nothing since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts