V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 FXDWGI, has Solo seat, love it and would not sell it. Only Harley I have rode to date.

Now, trying to get my wife to become a passenger, and of all the touring bikes I really like the look of the RK Custom.

I read a bike test and they said the ride, being lowered, etc. was not really that nice.

So, would the RK Standard or Classic ride that much better, is the Custom a real good 2 up ride, and so on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
My wife and I love ours.... haven't done any overnight cruises, but we've been out on it all day... no complaints.

Click my link for more seat info and other mods... but particularly the seat. The stock seat sucks.

Saddle bags are smaller than the classic, but that is part of the sleek look of the custom.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8-Ball said:
My wife and I love ours.... haven't done any overnight cruises, but we've been out on it all day... no complaints.

Click my link for more seat info and other mods... but particularly the seat. The stock seat sucks.

Saddle bags are smaller than the classic, but that is part of the sleek look of the custom.
Wow, that RK Custom is beautiful, and the seat looks great.

I have a Corbin Classic Solo on my FXDWG and I love it.

Now your seat combo I like, you can be solo or add a passenger. I think if I did this I would have to have a passenger seat like yours but with side arms, just to make my wife as secure as possible.

I must be nuts considering this, but my WG combined with a tourer would be cool. The Custom just makes me think of a 50's Brando movie, it's got that nostalgic Harley look to me.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I have 35,000 miles on my Custom. A lot of those were with my wife. We've never had any problems with the stock shocks. These Customs are freekin' awsome!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Love my new RK Custom

Mine is certainly not as awesomely tricked out as 8-balls scoot... but over time we shall see!

Ride is great!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
DCRANER said:
Wow, that RK Custom is beautiful, and the seat looks great.

I have a Corbin Classic Solo on my FXDWG and I love it.

Now your seat combo I like, you can be solo or add a passenger. I think if I did this I would have to have a passenger seat like yours but with side arms, just to make my wife as secure as possible.

I must be nuts considering this, but my WG combined with a tourer would be cool. The Custom just makes me think of a 50's Brando movie, it's got that nostalgic Harley look to me.
I think that is pretty much it for me... the retro look... the ability to strip it solo or goldwing it up for her. I've never ridden a more comfortable bike. The air shocks make both arrangements work.

My wife falls asleep back there... don't think you need armrests, training wheels, seatbelts or outriggers...

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If you like the RK Custom, get it and don't worry about the ride. If you find its too harsh because of the lower suspension, you can put 13" shocks on it. The RK Classic and Standard use 13" shocks and the Custom uses 12". Only difference between the 2 bikes in regards to the suspension.

You'll want to get rid of the air shocks after a while anyway.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thatoldbike said:
If you like the RK Custom, get it and don't worry about the ride. If you find its too harsh because of the lower suspension, you can put 13" shocks on it. The RK Classic and Standard use 13" shocks and the Custom uses 12". Only difference between the 2 bikes in regards to the suspension.

You'll want to get rid of the air shocks after a while anyway.
If it helps to know, I am 6' 185 and my wife 5' 2" 105 lbs., so maybe the ride would be fine.

Shw would not do big overnight trips, but I would do that solo once in a while.

Love my FXDWG (keeping it) but can't get that RK Custom off my mind. :D

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GrayRider said:
The Appalachian Princess loves ours. She doesn't like riding on the WG much.
Damn, you've got my dream combination, beautiful!

By the way, my 05 WG goes "under the knife" shortly, SE 103 ?prty:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dcraner,

Since it's opinions...

Why get a Road King at all? You already have a solo Wideglide for you.

For 2 up, an Ultra or a Classic is so much more comfortable. The full suspension, the tourpac, the stereo, the whole bike is built for 2 people to get a way for the weekend or the month for that matter in comfort and style.

I'm selling my FXR to now build a rigid Pan for bar hopping, but I love having my 'Glide for me and the Mrs. She's never been more happy with a bike I've owned when she's on that one...

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fxrflh said:
Dcraner,

Since it's opinions...

Why get a Road King at all? You already have a solo Wideglide for you.

For 2 up, an Ultra or a Classic is so much more comfortable. The full suspension, the tourpac, the stereo, the whole bike is built for 2 people to get a way for the weekend or the month for that matter in comfort and style.

I'm selling my FXR to now build a rigid Pan for bar hopping, but I love having my 'Glide for me and the Mrs. She's never been more happy with a bike I've owned when she's on that one...
Thanks for the thought fxrflh.

I know your 'Glide is a fantastic cruiser, but I am just in love with the RK Custom look. Plus, with a set-up like 8-Ball has, with the solo seat at times, it just makes it like a big "Hot Rod" bike, then back to a 2-up cruiser.

Holy $hit, maybe I need 3 Harleys. #[email protected]

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes, I'd like 3 or more as well. Well mabey 4 or 5... It never ends does it? Good luck with the King, you'll be happy with it. My Dad has an 05 Classic and it's a damn sweet ride.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Add my testamonial, I'm very happy with the Custom. I got it for some of the same reasons your mentioning. Strips down nice for hopping, dresses up good for comfort, and longer hauls, two up. Plan on at least a seat, and probably bars, for starters.

If I was in your shoes, keeping the WG,(great hopper), I just might take a peek at he Street Glide. Basically a Custom with a fairing and some great tunes. Just a thoguht.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Now what are the main differences between the Classic King and the Custom King? I mean, other than the bars and elongated headlight?
Has anything been done on the custom to improve the looks when the bags are off, or is that the same as with the other Kings?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
BadTwin said:
Now what are the main differences between the Classic King and the Custom King? I mean, other than the bars and elongated headlight?
Has anything been done on the custom to improve the looks when the bags are off, or is that the same as with the other Kings?
Lowered in the back, slotted cast rear wheel, missing fender trim... that is about it... I like the wind deflector... it doesn't do shlt, but it looks good and I have come to love the beach bars. When you stand back it just makes it look real low slung.

I hate the Custom floorboards however... couldnt' get them off fast enough.

Antoher thing I hate on the Custom is the tank emblem... looks like someone threw up chrome chrome slag all over it. My sister, Lace, came over one day and hand painted the edging of each letter in black... what a difference it made. Anyone else dislike the Custom tank emblem?

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
8-Ball said:
Anyone else dislike the Custom tank emblem?
I don't really like it either. I'm actually thinking about just removing them and going with a nice clean tank. Do (or did) you have problems with the front of your emblems wanting to come off? Dealer already replaced them once.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
The other thing I really liked about the custom over the other Kings is the much more compact rear light assembly. I also like the looks of the beach bars and have decided to keep them, unlike many others.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts