V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after putting over 25,000 miles and building a 100/100 motor Fatboy with more add on's and money invested than I honestly care to add up, I've got the SERIOUS bug for a touring bike. I LOVE my Fatboy and wish I could swing it to keep it, but if I want a new one, (and essentially start all over again), it will have to go. My every Saturday delimna is which one:

Road King Classic-Gorgeous traditional lines. Retro without going overboard. Cruise control. Gorgeous leather bags. Very nice profile, with removable windshield etc. I even like the white walls:) What has happened to me??? I've saved a few pics from some of you on here in "my pics" folder and there are some gorgeous tweaks to be done on the Road King Classic. Now here's the delimna...

Street Glide-I find that bike to be very intoxicating. Everytime I go into check out the classics, I am drawn back over to the sleek Street Glide. There is something very sexy about that bike. I swear I never even once considerd a bike with a fairing, but on this one it looks right...in fact perfect. I like the gauges, radio/CD player, AND even the body colored hard bags, (which is not something I like on the Road King Standard.) In black that bike just looks bad ass.

My concern is whether or not I would grow tired of the fairing and ability to remove it on a whim as I can with my detachable windshield with the Fatboy or the RK. Sometimes thats enough to keep me out of the HD store. I strip off the bags of the Fatboy, take off the windshield and have a totally different bike. I wouldn't be concerned about ever removing bags on either of these bikes, and not sure I would even the windshield , but it's a nice option.

I know this is another one of those, help me decide threads, but please HELP ME DECIDE:) I'd love to hear from owners of both, and see any pics of RKC/Street Glide owners bikes. Has anyone else fallen for the Street Glide look, fairing and all, that had previously not given them a passing look?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I understand your dilemna. I own a classic and i purchased it for the same "likes" you explained. I have also grown fond of the fairing look recently. What im going to do, to fix my dilemna is.. purchase the detachable fairing. This way i can have my luxurious classic or my bad ass glider look, at will. Good luck with your decision.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
SiLlY said:
I understand your dilemna. I own a classic and i purchased it for the same "likes" you explained. I have also grown fond of the fairing look recently. What im going to do, to fix my dilemna is.. purchase the detachable fairing. This way i can have my luxurious classic or my bad ass glider look, at will. Good luck with your decision.
I will be doing the same thing or should i say already have but haven't put it on yet. I purchased an old 72-84 FL fairing in good shape that will be cleaned up, painted and then modify the mounts so that it can be a detachable. Won't have a radio and I really don't want one.

·
Registered
645 Posts
ditto on the radio aspect. I just like the looks of the fairing. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Traded my classic in on the street glide, I will not have another bike without a radio. Also kept the stock wind screen on and at 6'3" still get the wind in my hair.. love this bike and wish it was spring right now even though I also have sleds.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Lotta guys putting the fairings on their RK's and never take them off after riding with it on...get my drift?:chopper:

·
Recon
839 Posts
JagmanR said:
Ok, after putting over 25,000 miles and building a 100/100 motor Fatboy with more add on's and money invested than I honestly care to add up, I've got the SERIOUS bug for a touring bike. I LOVE my Fatboy and wish I could swing it to keep it, but if I want a new one, (and essentially start all over again), it will have to go. My every Saturday delimna is which one:

Road King Classic-Gorgeous traditional lines. Retro without going overboard. Cruise control. Gorgeous leather bags. Very nice profile, with removable windshield etc. I even like the white walls:) What has happened to me??? I've saved a few pics from some of you on here in "my pics" folder and there are some gorgeous tweaks to be done on the Road King Classic. Now here's the delimna...

Street Glide-I find that bike to be very intoxicating. Everytime I go into check out the classics, I am drawn back over to the sleek Street Glide. There is something very sexy about that bike. I swear I never even once considerd a bike with a fairing, but on this one it looks right...in fact perfect. I like the gauges, radio/CD player, AND even the body colored hard bags, (which is not something I like on the Road King Standard.) In black that bike just looks bad ass.

My concern is whether or not I would grow tired of the fairing and ability to remove it on a whim as I can with my detachable windshield with the Fatboy or the RK. Sometimes thats enough to keep me out of the HD store. I strip off the bags of the Fatboy, take off the windshield and have a totally different bike. I wouldn't be concerned about ever removing bags on either of these bikes, and not sure I would even the windshield , but it's a nice option.

I know this is another one of those, help me decide threads, but please HELP ME DECIDE:) I'd love to hear from owners of both, and see any pics of RKC/Street Glide owners bikes. Has anyone else fallen for the Street Glide look, fairing and all, that had previously not given them a passing look?

Thanks for any input!
I just traded my Hot Rod 98" fatboy for a street glide. I lost a bunch but man I like this glide ride! at 85' tq it is really not the dog I expected (I ride solo) I would go on trips with my bros. who ride RK's and i was worn out far sooner than the other guys. I am relly, really glad I finally did the deal. I never thought a fairing and radio would be so great!

·
Registered
645 Posts
bedemonster said:
Lotta guys putting the fairings on their RK's and never take them off after riding with it on...get my drift?:chopper:
I dont know about that. I'd say it's more a matter of preference. Just like my windshield. Theres days i like it and then theres days i could toss it in the trash. I love the non-fairing clean look but at times that fairing look is just awesome. God made colors for that reason. Different color for different tastes. They're all magnificent pieces of American machinery. I get a kick out of everyone one of them.

Ughh.. if it didnt cost so much money.. i'd have different color tins for different moods. lol

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Get the looks of the Chassic with the leather bags then get a detachable fairing and you have choices. There are detachable fairings with radios and speakers and are better than the MOCO units. Just don't get that detachable fairing with the ugly sqaure bump on it for a radio. Man is that thing uuuuugggggly.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never really thought about a detachable fairing for a RK, but I can see where that might be a nice compromise. Thing is, if it matters to you, and I read where it doesn't to some, you don't get the radio, CD player, tach, and other gauges integrated into the fairing. Still, if the RK Classic really flips my switch, which it does, it would be a nice way to have a bit of both for sure!

Still they are very different bikes in appearance of course. One is "classic" and the other looks "contemporary" and sleek. I have seen a few Classics with a fair amount of custom touches, but no Street Glides. I imagine there are some special tweaks and touches for that bike that make it even more sexy.

I never even considered a radio/cd player as something to want on a bike. It's not a primary consideration, but the fact that there IS one on a bike that is already very cool, is a nice plus. Everything I've done up to this point has been performance first, (SE Heads, Flat Tops, Woods TW-5G, Roller Rockers, Lifters, SE Ignition, Thunderheader), all the while not missing a beat on looks.

I doubt I'll make up my mind on these two till I just walk in, and do it. Still, when I bought the Fatboy it was exactly what I wanted. I also like the Heritage a lot, but knew that I could make it into one essentially if I wanted, and strip it down when I wanted, which I have and do on regular intervals, (including about 5 different seats:))

One more thing...if ANYONE has pictures of their RK Classic with a detachable fairing on it....please post them!!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wkohn said:
Get the looks of the Chassic with the leather bags then get a detachable fairing and you have choices. There are detachable fairings with radios and speakers and are better than the MOCO units. Just don't get that detachable fairing with the ugly sqaure bump on it for a radio. Man is that thing uuuuugggggly.
Not sure what the one with the bump looks like, but if one I'd put on a Classic doesn't look a lot like the one on the street Glide I wouldn't want it, I don't think. Wkohn.....I never even considered that a detachable fairing could come with a kick ass stereo in it. I was just thinking about the guages. That would be very cool if it were well intergrated and easy to take on and off with nothing disturbing the lines of the bike or anything, (like those handle bar mounted speakers....ughhh. What is up with that?

·
Registered
645 Posts
JagmanR said:
One more thing...if ANYONE has pictures of their RK Classic with a detachable fairing on it....please post them!!
Here's one realy nice one. It belongs to Clint50, a member here and it is for sale in the calssified section on this site. Sweet @ss ride!!!
Here's the add in the classified section. Click his signature links for pictures of the "Clint's Custom H-D Bagger".

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68896

Here's a link from ebay. They happen to have one for sale with pics.

Ebay Road King fairing for sale

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Here's Gunslingers' RKClassic before and after fairing pics.

BTW a fairing and a windshield are two different animals...you'd know that if you owned one of each.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nice! I would like to see that transformation but with leather bags instead. I like that shape of the leather ones. Im curious to see what it would look like.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Bedemonster and SiLly....very nice examples. I think I'm starting to gather that a fairing with a RK Classic leather bags might not look as hot. I'd have to see one. I'll look around. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Now I've got an RKC and love it, but if you've already got a fairing for your fatboy, how much different will it really be from an RKC? I'd say if you want to go bigger, get an eglide or ultra.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I will let you know in april when I pick up my Street Glide and crank up the tunes on the 24 mile trip home, sitting behind the fairing.~!Awesome!

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Some Guy said:
Now I've got an RKC and love it, but if you've already got a fairing for your fatboy, how much different will it really be from an RKC? I'd say if you want to go bigger, get an eglide or ultra.
JagmanR only has a windshield now for his FatBoy.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wkohn said:
JagmanR only has a windshield now for his FatBoy.
True...thanks wkohn:) Also, there is a considerable difference in "feel" from a Fatboy and a Roadking due to the rubber mounts vs the fixed. Not that one is worse, but I've felt the rubber isolated motors really smooth out nicely at cruising speeds, better than the softails. But there is a point being made here re: a RKC vs a Fatboy vs going all the way to the touring side. I appreciate the input.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts