V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I think this ranks as my favorite mod so far, at least from a useability standpoint.

I love my new RK Classic, but I nearly went with a RK standard just because of the bags. I hated them. They look great, but getting into them is such a pain because of the buckles. If that's not bad enough, there's absolutely no security. Adding chrome saddlebag guards (which I think look great) made them even harder to open and close, since the rail is right in the way of the buckle.

So here's my solution, or rather HD's solution with my twist. Get the saddlebag lock set for the RKC (#46316-04) which is stupid expensive at $199.95 (be sure to order it keyed the same as your ignition). Install it as per the instructions, but instead of fastening the straps back to the lid, just drill new holes and fasten them to the bottom part of the bag. Now, to open the saddlebag you just have to press the new button/lock at the back of the bag, and to close, just close them and they latch automatically.

The bags still look the same from the outside, but now the straps are just dummies and you never have to mess with them again!

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um, cuz I figured I'd scratch them up really bad if I hacked them open with an axe?

I meant the plastic buckle thingies underneath the real buckle thingies of course. It's still a buckle.

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
wow I have never heard of anyone complaining of the buckles who have full use of their thumbs until now. Great Mod though

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have any thumbs you insensitive clod, just middle fingers. My handicap gets me in lots of trouble, and makes hitchhiking damn near impossible. :finger:

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
capn_buzzcut said:
I don't have any thumbs you insensitive clod, just middle fingers. My handicap gets me in lots of trouble, and makes hitchhiking damn near impossible. :finger:
:roflback:

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Do not have a Road King Classic, but that mod is way cool. Thinking outside the bag so to speak.
Good job.

·
A Bit Off Center
31 Posts
capn_buzzcut said:
Outstanding reply! Unzipping your pants must be a chore as well! :banana:

·
Life is grand!
416 Posts
:roflback: ... I just love this forum!

·
Sofa King
248 Posts
Very smart idea. I would prefer not to mess with the quick release buckles as well. The quick release is much better than the standard buckle but your idea makes even more sense.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Custom Dave said:
Outstanding reply! Unzipping your pants must be a chore as well! :banana:
If you don't zip them up, you don't have to zip them down, and you also can count to three without difficulty. Can't be beat.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Capn I'm with ya there. The plastic tabs on the buckles are a pain in the A$$. I think I might duplicate your mod. It would make access (and security) a lot better.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
capn_buzzcut said:

Perfect.....:laugh:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I did this mod to my custom and love it, but like buzz recommends, get the lock keyed to your ignition key. It has to be special ordered to get this option. The parts guy told me of this option after I had it installed... like it was common knowledge... it was noted in the catalogue, but I had just asked at the counter.

My one complaint is that it is hard to get the key into the lock between the bag and fender... I'm versy surprised you were able to do it without thumbs. Also, it is a two handed proposition... one for the key and one to lift the lid... so you have to put anything in your hands down first.... a little cumbersome, but the security is well worth it.

I only paid $79.00 for the pair.... WTF.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Custom takes less hardware

You paid less because you didn't need the rest of the lid hardware that you do on a RK Classic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are there any news, new experiences with RK Classic saddlebag locks?

I'm going to purchase a pair but do not know whether to take the "originals" from HD or these from "Lock your leathers". What would you recommend?

·
Winter SUCKS
1,353 Posts
Saddlebag Mod

OK, I think this ranks as my favorite mod so far, at least from a useability standpoint.

I love my new RK Classic, but I nearly went with a RK standard just because of the bags. I hated them. They look great, but getting into them is such a pain because of the buckles. If that's not bad enough, there's absolutely no security. Adding chrome saddlebag guards (which I think look great) made them even harder to open and close, since the rail is right in the way of the buckle.

So here's my solution, or rather HD's solution with my twist. Get the saddlebag lock set for the RKC (#46316-04) which is stupid expensive at $199.95 (be sure to order it keyed the same as your ignition). Install it as per the instructions, but instead of fastening the straps back to the lid, just drill new holes and fasten them to the bottom part of the bag. Now, to open the saddlebag you just have to press the new button/lock at the back of the bag, and to close, just close them and they latch automatically.

The bags still look the same from the outside, but now the straps are just dummies and you never have to mess with them again!

Sounds like an AWESOME mod!!!!! I'm gonna give it a try. Sure is a HUGE PITA to open the bags with the guards on. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts