V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can not find a decent ( >2" ) lowering kit for my RK CLASSIC. Burly and SOLOW offer kits, but n ot for the CLASSIC ?
Can i just order one for another model RK or is there a specific reason why it won't fit/work ?
Any alternatives ?

Thanks

Patrick /belgium

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
pedege said:
i can not find a decent ( >2" ) lowering kit for my RK CLASSIC.
Lowering your bike more than 2 inches will seriously alter it's handling characteristics. This is not a good idea.

Is there some reason why?

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I think that the lowering kit that White Bro.'s offers is for standards. I believe on the Classic the shock bolts hit the backside of the leather bag. I looked at one for a friend and I felt that if I took a 2-3" long piece of 1" tubing and heated the plastic on the backside of the saddlebag using the tubing to uniformly deform the plastic to make clearance for the saddlebags. I think that 2" is the maximum lowering capability. You could also lower the front end to get additional minimum ground clearance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did it..

Hi Patrick. I had a 96 RK that I lowered 2.5 inches in the rear and 1.5 inches in the front. It handled just fine (I out 40k miles on it in the first 2 years that I owned it). The ride was a little firm, but I was fine with sacrificing a soft ride for a slammed hot looking machine. I used the Harley Davidson 1 inch lower shocks along with the White Bros. lowering kit. I changed the stock front springs for a set of progressive.

Hope this helps...JP

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
pedege said:
i can not find a decent ( >2" ) lowering kit for my RK CLASSIC. Burly and SOLOW offer kits, but n ot for the CLASSIC ?
Can i just order one for another model RK or is there a specific reason why it
Check back on the So Low Site..they have kits specifically for the classics. I think the lowest kit they sell is 1 1/2"...for rideability I don't know I would want to go any lower than that.

I just installed one of their 1" lowering kits on my 05 RK Classic. It lowered the bike exactly one inch. Pretty nice looking hardware and the machining looked well done. Install was straight forward. On the install you will have to remove the bottom rubber mounting brackets on your bags and rerivet them, but thats about the hardest part of the whole deal.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I just installed one of their 1" lowering kits on my 05 RK Classic. It lowered the bike exactly one inch. Pretty nice looking hardware and the machining looked well done. Install was straight forward. On the install you will have to remove the bottom rubber mounting brackets on your bags and rerivet them, but thats about the hardest part of the whole deal.

If you dont mind me asking, did you lower front and rear? Other than looks, what does this do to the handling. is it advisable to do just the rear? Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
The best way to lower your bike is to bite the bullet and order progressive 440 shocks. I just took the lowering kit off mine and went to the 440's and cant believe how much better it rides now. Plus i dont have to worrry about air pressure anymore in the shocks. If you do use a lowering kit you should run at least 20psi in the shocks.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
calif phil said:
. If you do use a lowering kit you should run at least 20psi in the shocks.
.thanks for that...its makes sense and i never considered it....i have the white bros lowering kit on my 01 flhr...basically all it does is remount the bottom of your shock back/down an inch from the stock positon ..so the shock would actually be extended and need some more pressure..than the
10-12psi most guys run. fuk all these years i have been running them without enough pressure! doh!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts