V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just had the front lowers chromed on my scoot. I just put them back together. I'm looking for help with finishing up the job. I reinstalled the lowers and tourqed the bottom bolts. Can anyone point me to where i could possibly find info about how to refill the forks w/ oil? So far i have gathered that I have to remove the nacelle to access the tops of the fork tubes. Once i get that apart I imagine I can figure out how to disassemble further. Anyone have any tips or advice on this subject. I am not sure what oil to go with either. I had my bike lowered prior so I might call the shop wich did the lowering. I would just like to hear opinions from you guys since I believe I will be getting better advice. All the shops I talk to just want my money. :D Thank You!

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
For a lowered bike i would suggest the Screamin eagle fluid. It is a little thicker and works very well for the couple bike i had lowered..How did you put the lowers on? With tubes on bike or off.....Anyway take the nacelle off and there should be 2 fork cap screws on top of the top tree. Fill up SLOWLY and then reverse....

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx TXCHOP. I removed and reinstalled the lowers with the tubes still on the bike. I only took apart what I needed to, to get the chroming done. I will go with your advice on the oil brand. I've been reading around the forum and I read alot of people having issues with the fork caps. Is this something I have to purchase a special tool for? Or is this just an issue with guys that have the chrome decor and exposed triple trees?

"Fill up SLOWLY and reverse" There is no bleeding process I need to go through? I just fill it slowly and go? How about level? I've read around here, about guys measuring depth. Sorry about all the questions. I just need to make sure I do it right so that I dont have to tear into the nacelle more than once.

Thank You for your time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Once the nacelle is off, remove the big bolt heads at the top of the forks. It would be a good idea to replace the o-rings. I have a small measuring cup that I used to measure out and pour the fork oil. I use a funnel with a flexible hose to get around the handlebars. Fill the forks slowly. You don't want any of the oil to spill because if you do, you should drain the forks and start over. Don't guess at how much spilled. If you go slow, you won't have a problem.

Replace the big bolt heads (plugs) at the top and torque to the factory specs. I might add, if you don't have a factory service manual, its a good idea to buy one.

Good luck.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I am not 100% sure on touring bikes but they make take a little more than an oz extra when lowered.....For wrench you can use a large adjustable or plumbers wrench to take cap on and off. No need for special wrench. You dont have to worry about scrating the fork caps...Watch the tank incase of slipping though.....Do you have a manual? No bleed on RK's like road king said...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx everyone for the advice. The guy at the dealer said I needed to fill the forks up with 11.4 oz. Does that sound right? My scoot is a 2005. I got the nacelle off and I got top bolts off. I purchased the SE oil and I filled the first (left) fork fine. The second one though acts like it has air. After about a tablespoon.. it stopped taking fluid. Im going to check it here aain in a few minutes. thanx guys.

·
1,336 Posts
SiLlY said:
Thanx everyone for the advice. The guy at the dealer said I needed to fill the forks up with 11.4 oz. Does that sound right? My scoot is a 2005. I got the nacelle off and I got top bolts off. I purchased the SE oil and I filled the first (left) fork fine. The second one though acts like it has air. After about a tablespoon.. it stopped taking fluid. Im going to check it here aain in a few minutes. thanx guys.
Silly good luck on your project. No help here, I have not done it. I talked to the guy that chromed your lowers today. He lives right around the corner from me. Nice guy and thanks for the tip. If I can ever help you out with something or you need an extra set of hands let me know.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx Jonas. Glad that worked out. Chuck seems like a decent guy. I dropped off my passenger floorboards at his place yesterday. Thanx for offering a hand. I might take you up on that someday. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts